Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Birmingham, AL

Interstates*: I-20, I-65
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi)**: US-11, US-31, US-78

I-20:
To: Atlanta, GA - 150 miles
Diversion: 2 miles
To: Augusta, GA - 288 miles

I-65:
To: Nashville, TN - 177 miles
Diversion: 3 miles
To: Bowling Green, KY - 254 miles

Other:
To: Chattanooga, TN (I-59, I-24) - 158 miles
To: Tallahassee, FL (I-65, US-231, I-10) - 302 miles

Obviously a very important intersection and a great split on a gap on I-20, but the distances on other routes say a number of others Superchargers will be needed.
I included the fastest route from Birmingham, AL to Tallahassee, FL. In my opinion Tesla is heavily focused on enabling fastest routes where possible. Unfortunately, Montgomery, AL is over 200 miles from Tallahassee, FL, so maybe Troy, AL would fill in that area.

* I-22 ends and I-59 begins close to the location as well, but I only list those that pass the Supercharger location.
** Also close to US-280

There are very few EVs here in Birmingham. I ran into a guy with a Roadster at Home Depot earlier today. It was a first for both of us. It was the first time I had seen a Roadster in town and it was the first time he had seen a model s in town.
That's surprising with the amount of money in Birmingham. In Montgomery, a poorer and smaller town, we have at least four Model S that I know about. And plenty of Leafs.

Glad to hear they're putting a SuperCharger in Birmingham... We got delivery of our Model X in Atlanta back in August. Picked it up in Marietta, fully charged it and drove back. By the time we got home to Mountain Brook, it was down to 9%!

We have a charger at home, but of course, it's not near the Amps that the superchargers are.

See ya out on the roads! There aren't many of us out there in BHM, yet!
9% left from Marietta to Birmingham? I make many trips from Marietta to Hoover and always have about 25% left. You must have a 75D?

We have a charger at home, but of course, it's not near the Amps that the superchargers are.
Your charger at home should likely fulfill 99% of your needs. The only time we use a supercharger is for longer trips like MN to AL to harass my brother (he was a way cool garden shop in Crestline Village). Our place on Marco Island only has a 120v/15a outlet and that covers us there (though I did once have to get some from GEM Remotes | Chargerville when my wife decided we should take some guest so Shark Valley).

Congrats on the X BTW.

YYEESS!! It's about time. Does anybody have an insight as to the timing of the Birmingham install?

@johngratcliff I live in Hazel Green and have been scoping out the Athens, AL Ruby Tuesday's as the best location for a Tesla Supercharger between Brentwood (Nashville) TN and Birmingham AL. I have emailed Tesla a few times about this excellent location. I drive over that way every now and then but as of a few weeks ago there was no construction. I'll try locating the Athens Building Permit office and calling. I would be very surprised if one was not built here given the news of Tesla and Ruby Tuesday's Supercharger partnership a few months ago.
Tesla + Ruby Tuesday = Growing Tesla Supercharger Network, & Waistlines

YYEESS!! It's about time. Does anybody have an insight as to the timing of the Birmingham install?

@johngratcliff I live in Hazel Green and have been scoping out the Athens, AL Ruby Tuesday's as the best location for a Tesla Supercharger between Brentwood (Nashville) TN and Birmingham AL. I have emailed Tesla a few times about this excellent location. I drive over that way every now and then but as of a few weeks ago there was no construction. I'll try locating the Athens Building Permit office and calling. I would be very surprised if one was not built here given the news of Tesla and Ruby Tuesday's Supercharger partnership a few months ago.
Tesla + Ruby Tuesday = Growing Tesla Supercharger Network, & Waistlines
Agree. That looks like the ideal position - almost exactly midway Nashville - Birmingham, and almost in the middle of an equilateral triangle with Huntsville/Decatur/Florence as its corners, right off I-65 at a corner near US-33 with lots of options for eating.

I am almost at the point where I can travel (easily) in my Tesla, except of course for the black whole that is AR.

Good news! Uptown is a nice area though not sure how convenient to all the interchanges it is. Still not certain it's an area where you want to charge very late at night though the rest of the time it's well lighted, lots of eating options ,and well patrolled. For those of you who are curious about how many Teslas are in Birmingham, I'm aware of 7 or 8 at least. I'm in the Inverness/Greystone area and regularly see several. I'm aware of at least one in Liberty Park and I'm not sure that counts the several Model Ses that Alabama power owns along with three roadsters (one each in Auburn, UAT and UAB colors- though I heard they wrecked the Auburn one. (Something about the wheels coming off- no wait, that was the football team.) I've had mine since March 2015 and I wasn't the first.

That's surprising with the amount of money in Birmingham. In Montgomery, a poorer and smaller town, we have at least four Model S that I know about. And plenty of Leafs.

Birmingham is where they unload new Tesla's bound for the Southeast from the train to put on trucks.

I'm traveling to Birmingham in June and will be staying at the Sheraton a block away from the charger location. To say this is good news for me is an understatement. An interesting coincidence is that I was attending the same convention in St. Louis in 2015 and on the street near that hotel was a Tesla destination charger.

This location in Birmingham used to have a major trainyard just on the south side of I-20/I-59 and a bit west extending under I-65. Used to serve The Jim Dandy Co until 1981. Parent company shut down Jim Dandy, sold the equipment in-place at auction. Then the place burned to the ground the next day when idiots collecting their purchases set the corn mill on fire with cutting torches. Said to be largest fire in Birmingham's history. Used to be at 10th Ave N and 17th St N. Worlds largest corn mill in its day.

And now home to a really nice area, part of the revitalization of Downtown Birmingham. Also very near the BJCC, The Sheraton Hotel and several excellent restaurants, both upscale and happening' places, as well as lots of parking and easy access off I-20. Now, if the rest of the state will jump on board with renewable energy initiatives. Alabama is currently ranked 18th in the country in solar power (sunshine) availability and 40 something in adoption. In fairness, Imho, it's a dilemma for the Southern Company because of the sunk costs in the existing power plants and the challenge of managing the distribution of power from homeowner roof tops. Meanwhile the state is holding off on meaningful incentives to encourage homeowners or electric car owners. When I approached Alabama Power about an incentive to install a 240v-50amp outlet for our car, they had no program in place nor, according to the person I talked to, any future plans. Alabama is a great state but those of us who grew up in the rural south remember a saying, "Make hay while the sun is shining." So far, the sun is shining but we aren't making much hay.

And now home to a really nice area, part of the revitalization of Downtown Birmingham.
Good to hear. When we use to do shows at Boutwell and BJCC it wasn't a safe feeling area late at night and local cops would tell us during load out to not wander far from the trucks. I gather it's much better now? Won't be a problem for single people charging late at night? Too bad there's still an elevated motorway going through there.

Alabama also needs a law that prevents HOAs from banning solar panels. I'd love to install panels but my HOA threatened a fine when I submitted plans.
Or perhaps something that keeps them from being unreasonable. You want to allow solar but also prevent an absolute eyesore. Maybe allow solar so long as it's on the roof, Within 10º parallel to the existing roof line, and no more than 10" above the existing roof?

I would be fine with limiting the panels to the roof like you mentioned. There just needs to be a law that takes this matter out of the hands of HOAs. I wanted to install panels on the backside of the roof over my garage where they wouldn't even be visible from the street but was turned down with the excuse that it would be an eyesore for the houses behind me. That section of roof is already perfectly aligned. So they panels would have been flat on the roof.

Nashville (actually near junction of Franklin and Brentwood) to Birmingham is less than 190 miles. So should be no problem if you have a . full charged 85.. If you have a 60 or partly charged 85 ,just slow down. There is a significant range increase at 60 mph compared to 75 mph. You will still get there, why rush the experience of driving the world's best car?
Memphis (under construction) and Birmingham will make the Tesla much more useful to Tennessee drivers.

Reactions: N4HHE