Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is Leeds?
(16) 250 kW Superchargers at Buc-ees in Leeds, AL. At last traffic light before Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum & Park. Is the Supercharger we deserved all along.

In other news I saw a Rivian at Buc-ees on Saturday.

Even if you do not go inside you should drive the last mile up to Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. Always something going on at the track. Picnic tables in the woods on hilltop beside the museum (left side) you could sit and watch (usually for free).

Reactions: Daniel454
There is a new gate now. I managed to get in and out for no charge. Not sure if that was a fluke.
They may be turning the gate off between events. In the past a sign proclaimed “$10 Event Parking”. Twice I have emailed the parking address at the BJCC web site asking for parking rates but never received a reply.

Is sad the Superchargers are located inside a for-pay parking lot. Doubt I will ever be back. Restaurants and coffee expensive and not that good. Then having to pay to exit a lot for which all the restaurants and restrooms are closed? BTDT, not happy. Fortunately the hotel had a restroom else there was shrubbery I could water.

The public restrooms are in the 2nd building over on the 2nd floor. Usually locked. The hotel is much closer.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddykwRun

Attachments

• PXL_20220326_204010089.jpg
    PXL_20220326_204010089.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 126
Hey fellow TMC’ers!

Just a little advisory…

On “game days”(which today happens to be) the parking operator of the lot that houses the Birmingham, AL Supercharger charges $20 for entry to the lot.

There are signs that say the stores will validate, but they do not.

I was going to give my entrance ticket to another Tesla owner on the way in, but no in/out privileges.

The lot is owned by BJCC and operated by LAZ.

The folks from LAZ working the gate were very apologetic. They said they we’re working to “get it figured out”, but they were told to charge the Tesla owners the full amount.

The $20 isn’t really a big deal, more of a surprise - as I have been to this charger plenty of times before and never even had to pay to enter.

Hopefully they will work out the validation system - Tesla included.

Bummer, but still cheaper than a tank of gas!

Rock on.

Jett Black

• Informative
Reactions: nogajim and mociaf9
we charged here over Thanksgiving. it was a pain to actually get into the lot due to road construction and there was a Sesame Street concert at the BJCC going on when we arrived.
We had to pay 1.50 for the lot when we left. But, we did not go to any of the shops to validate our ticket since we ate before arriving.
We stop here from time to time. Of the last 8 times the gate into the parking was down only this last time. There was an R&B event last Sunday and there were more cars in the lot than usual. The employees at “your pie” pizza place said there wouldn’t be a charge. There was someone behind me at the gate, and I wasn’t prepared to figure out the whole validation process since I didn’t have my ticket in hand. Fortunately it only cost $3. There’s a 250kw charger a couple miles off I65. You’ll reduce charge time but add transit time. No parking fees at the other one though.

What are the odds that Tesla closes this location once the Gardendale, AL site goes live (Tesla Find Us page shows Q2 2023)? With Gardendale they will have North/South covered and the Bucc-ee’s at Leeds addresses East/West travelers.

With the general access issues, the hard to reach location and fairly frequent shutdowns due to events at the convention center, seems like this site might not be viable much longer.

What are the odds that Tesla closes this location once the Gardendale, AL site goes live (Tesla Find Us page shows Q2 2023)? With Gardendale they will have North/South covered and the Bucc-ee’s at Leeds addresses East/West travelers.

With the general access issues, the hard to reach location and fairly frequent shutdowns due to events at the convention center, seems like this site might not be viable much longer.
I suspect they'll leave it around for urban charging but are unlikely to upgrade it. Perhaps once the maintenance costs more than the revenue, they'll shut it down.

IIRC most of the initial agreements are for 10 years. This one has been open a little over 6 years. So I think it will stick around a little while longer at the very least. But I agree, they won't bother upgrading it. They'll just continue to build newer, faster superchargers with better access and amenities in nearby locations.