Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Birmingham Supercharger - slow charge speed / local Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

used the Birmingham - St Andrews supercharger on Friday on my model 3 SR and only got 30kw rate and only 2 other cars were at the site.
This is now the second time this has happened, with the only other time Ive charged here resulting in a 30kw, which I previously put down to a poor day/bad luck.
For context I’ve used 3 other superchargers in the last week and all have given me 100+ kw on much colder days.

This is my local supercharger so really need this to be faster, is anyone else facing the same issue?

Hi all,

used the Birmingham - St Andrews supercharger on Friday on my model 3 SR and only got 30kw rate and only 2 other cars were at the site.
This is now the second time this has happened, with the only other time Ive charged here resulting in a 30kw, which I previously put down to a poor day/bad luck.
For context I’ve used 3 other superchargers in the last week and all have given me 100+ kw on much colder days.

This is my local supercharger so really need this to be faster, is anyone else facing the same issue?
You need a warm/hot battery and a low SoC (State of charge) of around 10%.

You mention your Local SuC?, so i assume your battery was cold and you may have had a SoC of over 50% which would see those results.

To get a high kWh rate you need your battery around 10% and have driven a good 50miles (with preconditioning - using maps in car to navigate to SuC for this to happen) to get a fast charge. This only happens for a short time and the speed curve drops as it approches 50%. After this its slow.

That is why to use the SuCs effectivly, you need bunny hop between SuCs between 10% and 60% and not charge to a high SoC%.

If you have a highish SoC, say around 60% and the battery is warmish i use another charger like Polar (BP) 50kW charger as you will get a slightly faster charge at around 40kWh

I assume you don’t have home charger, but ‘local’ and ‘faster’ don’t go together when talking Supercharging. There is no way you will be able to warm the battery pack sufficiently for the BMS to allow the car to charge at high KW’s.

The pack needs to be proper hot for max charge rate for any given State of Charge, and any preconception that the car ‘warms up’ like an ICE does is wrong (not that you’ve said this to be the case but it’s a common view).

If you've a China built SR+ with the LFP battery, you're going to struggle to get anywhere near a fast supercharging rate under any conditions. They keep releasing software updates to try and improve things but I've not seen anyone get over 100kw other than fleetingly and above 50% you'll be slow to charge.

You need a home charger.