TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bismarck ND Supercharger location

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by lightfoot3b, Mar 26, 2019.

1. lightfoot3b

lightfoot3b Member

Bismarck City planning meeting. It will go in an out lot by TJ Maxx.

Approximately:
    46°49'58"N 100°48'25"W

Thanks for the info Kerry!

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 4
  2. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Heaven knows you sure do need a lot more SCs up there. It is the SC black hole in America right now. It makes traveling through there almost impossible for me.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Fulkth

Fulkth Member

It's all coming together! Just need Jamestown information now I think, and some Montana info to close up 94 to Billings.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

#4 mociaf9, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Helpful x 3
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. MarcoRP

MarcoRP @MontrealTesla

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

So, for I-94, according to Tesla's map, permit hunters now looking for:
    North Dakota: Jamestown, ND.
    Montana: Bighorn, MT; Miles City, MT; Glendive, MT
    Since Bighorn isn't really much of a place, I'm thinking they're looking at Custer, MT or anywhere in the area. Maybe have to end up looking farther to the east in Forsyth, MT.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

It's a race to see if I can get to Winkler MB via North Dakota or if they open a Canada route. Even with the Bismark location, I will still need Jamestown to actually reach the maker of my little RV to take the factory tour. The world is just not made for electric cars in Canada. Yet.

-Randy

8. lightfoot3b

lightfoot3b Member

Not exclusive for Teslas. Dang. I really wish when they were are in no way prime spots this wouldn't be true. Which leads me to Destiny's legislation that Rep. Lefor introduced and Destiny and I testified on at the legislature:
    It would ban blocking or preventing an EV from a charging spot. It includes EVs not charging blocking a charging spot. The governor just needs to sign off on it. It passed both houses by a miracle. It had a do not pass of 4-1 in the Senate AND THE PASSED IT! :D

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/documents/19-1000-02000.pdf

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Fulkth

Fulkth Member

Awesome, have they sent it to the governor's desk yet? Hoping he signs it. Is it up to the owners to put the signs up then through a permit or something?

10. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

I cannot find any information on which bills have been sent to the Governor for signing.

I'm hoping that they'll add signage after this bill gets signed.

11. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

This usually relates to the calculations for parking requirements at commercial properties that are established by local zoning rules. I.e. that there needs to be X # of parking stalls per Y sq.ft. of Z-type commercial floor space. So, even if the supercharger is going in a section of parking lot that is normally underutilized, removing the spaces from the total count of general parking stalls available can still be a problem requiring a zoning variance. Signing the stalls for dual usage side steps the issue.

12. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

come on Tesla we're only asking for 4 charging stops in the entire state of ND...! let's get it done already.

• Like x 1
  13. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

The permit network is almost in place.
    Now if we could only get some hardware in there ...

• Like x 2
  14. DanL3

DanL3 Member

Waiting on weather?

Still assuming Alexandria is shovel ready and will be the first when the ground is soft enough for the shovel.

• Like x 1
  15. ressom

ressom Member

I cannot express how excited I am about this development.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

I think that if they have the contracts, and permits, it'd just be a matter of how quickly the contracts are bid. Could be 1 contract in Alexandria, MN and then bid out the ND sites together, as they did with most of the Nebraska locations.

• Like x 1
  17. Fulkth

Fulkth Member

Didn't know they did that in Nebraska, that would make sense to do it like that here since it's all on the same interstate. Don't forget about eastern Montana too! I'm guessing they will want to close the gap to Billings at the same time to make I-94 complete. I don't think there is a lot of Montana info on the permits coming in though, so we might just have to wait and see whenever it happens.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

#18 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Oh yes, I know they need Montana to complete I-94, _but_ there's also the possibility that they'll be focused on connecting Winnipeg, MB to the east via Minnesota. If they want to do that, then they could bid out Fargo, ND and Pembina, ND together and then separately bid out Bismarck, ND, the as-yet-unknown Jamestown, ND location and Dickinson, ND.

Haven't read anything about eastern Montana, but it is possible that they'll be OK with completing the North Dakota piece before getting all the Montana ducks in a row: at least the North Dakota Superchargers would be connected to the main network by Alexandria, MN

Oh and ...

Bismarck, ND

Interstates: I-95
    US Numbered Highways: US-83

I-94:
    To: Fargo, ND (Permit) - 193.4 miles
    Diversion: 1.3 miles
    To: Alexandria, MN (Pemit) - 297.8 miles
    To: Clearwater, MN - 383.7 miles

One day.

• Like x 3
  19. Fulkth

Fulkth Member

One day travel will be an amazing thing, I'm currently making plans for overnight stays to leave the state later this spring. Looking at your post reminded me of something too, if they do I-94 from MN to Dickinson, ND the superchargers actually allow you to connect to Billings, MT through Spearfish, SD. A small detour but they could work on Montana later after filling up North Dakota. Too bad there isn't a Minot, ND station in the works :( ND state fair, Norsk Hostfest, and some other interesting things are there!

20. lightfoot3b

lightfoot3b Member

That won't hold true IF the blocking chargers law passes. Then they will need an exception if they really are right at their minimum limit of parking spots. What I think should happen assuming this? It shouldn't matter as those people will be there <1hour and likely will be shopping/dining in the vicinity. They simply shouldn't matter, but if they have to, then so be it, make that exception for charging stalls being able to count toward parking or make an exception for charging spots in the parking requirements.

• Like x 2