Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bismarck, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I spotted cones in Grand Forks, but um, no...
conehead.jpg

Randy, my knuckles don't scrape the ground when I walk, and I still have all my teeth.

Tell me, right now, from your car garaged in Alameda, how you can plan a trip to a distant location from your center display and take in all the possibilities and personal detours and roads less traveled? I have yet to figure this out. Hence, I use PlugShare as a companion to EVTripplanner. If Superchargers are listed only as a courtesy for completeness as you say, then it is a tool with questionable veracity. Their Q-and-A section is silent as to its commitment to accuracy, only stating, "...provides the most accurate and complete public charging map worldwide, with stations from every major network in North America and Europe." Their use of the superlative implies that competing maps are inferior, which is a very low bar today.

Indeed, if what you say is correct, then PlugShare needs to disclose this information clearly to all its users. PlugShare needs to explain what they do, how they do it, and then have a very clear and concise disclaimer that is not buried in the 150,000-word legalese end-user agreement or somewhere else. Maybe this is self-evident to you. But it is not self-evident to everyone.
Lots like to use

Randy, Tell me, right now, from your car garaged in Alameda, how you can plan a trip to a distant location from your center display

I do like ABRP:

A Better Routeplanner

It is a shame that PlugShare has the politics it does, there are many things I would change with them if I could. I still like going to locations are updating the info on PlugShare, it appeals to my OCD. But that isn't a possibility for Superchargers.

Reactions: MarcoRP
I do like ABRP:

A Better Routeplanner

It is a shame that PlugShare has the politics it does, there are many things I would change with them if I could. I still like going to locations are updating the info on PlugShare, it appeals to my OCD. But that isn't a possibility for Superchargers.

Thank you, Randy.

If, as you say you use your touchscreen for A Better Routeplanner, what do you do while the circle of doom spins 'round and 'round? My web connection from the car is s-l-o-w no matter where I am parked. A page loads in 45-90 seconds, and if I want to scroll down, it takes even more time. I have not used the web in the car for 3-4 years. Even at home!

what do you do while the circle of doom spins 'round and 'round? My web connection from the car is s-l-o-w no matter where I am parked. A page loads in 45-90 seconds, and if I want to scroll down, it takes even more time. I have not used the web in the car for 3-4 years. Even at home!
You should try it again, they went to Chrome, an entirely different beast. Of course, I drive a TM3 so it's possible the older Teslas still have painfully slow browsers.

Reactions: jordy101
2 (boxed) bases plus a third base for the support cabinets. Does that make it a V3?

YES The big boxes are the dimensions of V3 cabinets. The Big square pad off by itself is for the 1000 KVA Transformer.

This site was permitted to have 6 stalls with expansion of 2 more in the future. They are laying the conduit infrastructure for 8 stalls. But 2 of them will likely be Spares. You will likely see Pedestals (1A, 1B, 1C, Spare) (2A, 2B, 2C, Spare). Dropping in the extra conduit now is a cheap insurance.

With one set up for pulling in forward! I'm already dreaming of a family trip to Medora with the Model Y towing a lightweight camper making use of that spot as we charge up in Bismarck.

Hope your trailer is low profile?

These guys were towing a Brick and was killing energy consumption at 75 mph.

\

Of course a mid-size SUV would also only be getting 10 MPG if that. so you would likely be filling the tank every 100 miles too.

Except for Urban chargers which are technically V2...

I'm wondering which state/province/country will be the first to be 100% V3. Likely candidates that I can identify so far:
  • Hawaii
  • Manitoba
  • North Dakota
  • Rhode Island [they have one (1) V2]
  • Saskatchewan

Considering now 3 of the Saskatchewan sites now have the V3 support cabinets installed (everything except the pedestals) and there are no V2 sites, my bet is Saskatchewan... where Elon's mother's relatives live.

Hope your trailer is low profile?

These guys were towing a Brick and was killing energy consumption at 75 mph.

\

Of course a mid-size SUV would also only be getting 10 MPG if that. so you would likely be filling the tank every 100 miles too.

Yeah, 75mph is certainly the problem there. I grew up in a family where trailer camping trips were how all vacations were done. 68mph maybe is the fastest you should ever go because those trailer tires are known to blow up on you any faster than that. Invest in a tire monitoring system for sure.

If I'm using an EV rated at 300 miles then it should be feasible to stop every 100 miles just like towing with that mid-size SUV. Another trick with RV trips is make the trip as much a part of the vacation as the destination. In a car I have no problem driving for 12+ hours to get somewhere but in an RV it's a lot more enjoyable to do 4-6 hours a day on the road. So a trip to, say, the Beartooth Mountains in MT from southern MN is best done by stopping in Mitchell the first night, Black Hills the second night and maybe even stay an extra night. Devil's tower for lunch the next day and on to Buffalo or Sheridan for the night. Then you don't reach Red Lodge until the 4th or 5th day. That's how we did it in our old 31ft motorhome, at least.

Reactions: gnavi and IT Geek
Quick site update. Crew is done with rough dirt work (so much rain) and currently working on teardown and packing up the construction site. They wanted to be done yesterday, but bad weather prevented them from finishing site teardown.

I may have guessed where they are going, but I prefer not to say as schedules and stuff may change.

I'll post some pics after they've left... So maybe tonight / tomorrow.