Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bismarck, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently approved for 6 stations with a future expansion to 8. Looks like about HERE

https://www.bismarcknd.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/2819 (scroll to very end of file)

site layout: https://www.bismarcknd.gov/DocumentCenter/View/32953/SP2019-001-Tesla-Charging-Station

@BlueShift @Chuq
For people too lazy to scroll down, in other words, nobody.
26305709-B161-48F5-B6BE-56D91DEB25EE.png

It's a race to see if I can get to Winkler MB via North Dakota or if they open a Canada route. Even with the Bismark location, I will still need Jamestown to actually reach the maker of my little RV to take the factory tour. The world is just not made for electric cars in Canada. Yet.

-Randy

Not exclusive for Teslas. Dang. I really wish when they were are in no way prime spots this wouldn't be true. Which leads me to Destiny's legislation that Rep. Lefor introduced and Destiny and I testified on at the legislature:
It would ban blocking or preventing an EV from a charging spot. It includes EVs not charging blocking a charging spot. The governor just needs to sign off on it. It passed both houses by a miracle. It had a do not pass of 4-1 in the Senate AND THE PASSED IT! :D

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/documents/19-1000-02000.pdf

Not exclusive for Teslas. Dang. I really wish when they were are in no way prime spots this wouldn't be true. Which leads me to Destiny's legislation that Rep. Lefor introduced and Destiny and I testified on at the legislature:
It would ban blocking or preventing an EV from a charging spot. It includes EVs not charging blocking a charging spot. The governor just needs to sign off on it. It passed both houses by a miracle. It had a do not pass of 4-1 in the Senate AND THE PASSED IT! :D

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/documents/19-1000-02000.pdf

Awesome, have they sent it to the governor's desk yet? Hoping he signs it. Is it up to the owners to put the signs up then through a permit or something?

I really wish when they were are in no way prime spots this wouldn't be true.
This usually relates to the calculations for parking requirements at commercial properties that are established by local zoning rules. I.e. that there needs to be X # of parking stalls per Y sq.ft. of Z-type commercial floor space. So, even if the supercharger is going in a section of parking lot that is normally underutilized, removing the spaces from the total count of general parking stalls available can still be a problem requiring a zoning variance. Signing the stalls for dual usage side steps the issue.

Waiting on weather?

Still assuming Alexandria is shovel ready and will be the first when the ground is soft enough for the shovel.

I think that if they have the contracts, and permits, it'd just be a matter of how quickly the contracts are bid. Could be 1 contract in Alexandria, MN and then bid out the ND sites together, as they did with most of the Nebraska locations.

Reactions: Fulkth
I think that if they have the contracts, and permits, it'd just be a matter of how quickly the contracts are bid. Could be 1 contract in Alexandria, MN and then bid out the ND sites together, as they did with most of the Nebraska locations.

Didn't know they did that in Nebraska, that would make sense to do it like that here since it's all on the same interstate. Don't forget about eastern Montana too! I'm guessing they will want to close the gap to Billings at the same time to make I-94 complete. I don't think there is a lot of Montana info on the permits coming in though, so we might just have to wait and see whenever it happens.

Didn't know they did that in Nebraska, that would make sense to do it like that here since it's all on the same interstate. Don't forget about eastern Montana too! I'm guessing they will want to close the gap to Billings at the same time to make I-94 complete. I don't think there is a lot of Montana info on the permits coming in though, so we might just have to wait and see whenever it happens.

Oh yes, I know they need Montana to complete I-94, _but_ there's also the possibility that they'll be focused on connecting Winnipeg, MB to the east via Minnesota. If they want to do that, then they could bid out Fargo, ND and Pembina, ND together and then separately bid out Bismarck, ND, the as-yet-unknown Jamestown, ND location and Dickinson, ND.

Haven't read anything about eastern Montana, but it is possible that they'll be OK with completing the North Dakota piece before getting all the Montana ducks in a row: at least the North Dakota Superchargers would be connected to the main network by Alexandria, MN

Oh and ...

Bismarck, ND

Interstates: I-95
US Numbered Highways: US-83

I-94:
To: Fargo, ND (Permit) - 193.4 miles
Diversion: 1.3 miles
To: Alexandria, MN (Pemit) - 297.8 miles
To: Clearwater, MN - 383.7 miles

One day.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I know they need Montana to complete I-94, _but_ there's also the possibility that they'll be focused on connecting Winnipeg, MB to the east via Minnesota. If they want to do that, then they could bid out Fargo, ND and Pembina, ND together and then separately bid out Bismarck, ND, the as-yet-unknown Jamestown, ND location and Dickinson, ND.

Haven't read anything about eastern Montana, but it is possible that they'll be OK with completing the North Dakota piece before getting all the Montana ducks in a row: at least the North Dakota Superchargers would be connected to the main network by Alexandria, MN

Oh and ...

Bismarck, ND

Interstates: I-95
US Numbered Highways: US-83

I-94:
To: Fargo, ND (Permit) - 193.4 miles
Diversion: 1.3 miles
To: Alexandria, MN (Pemit) - 297.8 miles
To: Clearwater, MN - 383.7 miles

One day.

One day travel will be an amazing thing, I'm currently making plans for overnight stays to leave the state later this spring. Looking at your post reminded me of something too, if they do I-94 from MN to Dickinson, ND the superchargers actually allow you to connect to Billings, MT through Spearfish, SD. A small detour but they could work on Montana later after filling up North Dakota. Too bad there isn't a Minot, ND station in the works :( ND state fair, Norsk Hostfest, and some other interesting things are there!

This usually relates to the calculations for parking requirements at commercial properties that are established by local zoning rules. I.e. that there needs to be X # of parking stalls per Y sq.ft. of Z-type commercial floor space. So, even if the supercharger is going in a section of parking lot that is normally underutilized, removing the spaces from the total count of general parking stalls available can still be a problem requiring a zoning variance. Signing the stalls for dual usage side steps the issue.
That won't hold true IF the blocking chargers law passes. Then they will need an exception if they really are right at their minimum limit of parking spots. What I think should happen assuming this? It shouldn't matter as those people will be there <1hour and likely will be shopping/dining in the vicinity. They simply shouldn't matter, but if they have to, then so be it, make that exception for charging stalls being able to count toward parking or make an exception for charging spots in the parking requirements.