Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bit by the XPEL bug! How far did you go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did xpel ultimate full front same places as OP plus all door edges for $1300 two years ago. The stuff is magic. I've been dumped on by gravel trucks going over bumps, been passed on the shoulder of the road spewing debris and gravel. I' have tire shrapnel hit the front and the hood. No damage so far except a few nicks on the bumper xpel but no damage to the actual paint. I would have had 4+ insurance claims by now that never happened because of the stuff. With the exception of a few nicks at the bottom of the front bumper, it all still looks good. No paint chips either.

Wish I'd had it on the doors and quarter panels because a month ago my right rear window blew out(probably shot with air rifle) and shredded the right rear door and quarter panel which is being repainted in a few weeks.

The thing I don't like is the white lines left at the edge of the Xpel after waxing. I don't want to scrub it with a toothbrush because that could abrade the actual paint and I don't want to use any sort of solvent to get rid of the white because that could release the Xpel. How do others deal with this?

If the installer applied xpel correctly, they would have done full edge wrapping. My install has no visible seems and the edges all fully wrap.You can't tell it's installed except for the few nicks at the bottom of the bumper.

The coating on top of XPEL ensures it shines to match the rest of the car. You cannot tell XPEL is on the front and not the rest of the car except for the mirror housing which does have a faint line as explained above.

I have no coating in my xpel ultimate except the the "xpel paint protection sealant" which I do about every 6 months. Can you tell where the xpel ends? Look at the front right fender adjacent to the front right door :)

20161125_155034-X2.jpg

I've done 4 Teslas (3 MS and 1 MX) and did basically the same for each - full front end, mirrors, headlights, fog lights, rear bumper and door handle pockets on the MS. I became a believer after an incident in the first MS with a road sign that somehow ended up in the middle of a highway that went airborne after the truck in front of me ran over it! Hit front of car and then hood. No damage to the car! After that I put it on each subsequent car we bought. Couldn't bring myself to do the entire vehicle, but wish I had now.

The installer we used is awesome!

IMG_1779_zpsnooes8im.jpg

I did xpel ultimatte, the full front and also the rocker panel and luggage area on my obsidian black. I love it.
I did ask the installer about doing the full car. I was particularly worried about car park dings. Too common here in LA. His take was that if done strongly enough to damage the paint it will probably also go through the Xpel. Not sure if that's true, but when a professional recommends you not to spend more money. Well, so uncommon that you kind of have to take their word for it. LOL.

Not applicable in the Model S subforum, but I had full front and all doors done on my Model X. I've had two instances already where the film saved the day. The first was a mere few hours after having the film applied where my auto front door went crazy and struck my LEAF parked next to it. Thankfully my home security camera captured the anomaly and Tesla agreed to cover the fix.

The second issue was my passenger front door and Falcon Door collided on closing. This also damaged my film. Tesla took care of both film replacements which was certainly less expensive than the paint repairs that would have been incurred if I did not have film on my X.