Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bill Maher spent a few minutes discussing Crypto currencies. Worth a listen.

I saw it last night. Technically all money these days is based on the faith of those holding it, but not cryptocurrencies are based on people's faith in the government issuing it. So I don't completely agree with him there.

However I do agree that the energy needed to create cryptocurrencies as well as manage transactions is a problem. I thought the bulk of the energy went into creating the currency, but I've learned more recently just how much energy some currencies eat up just maintaining a market and that's untenable IMO. The energy footprint of crypto might end up being its downfall in the end as people become more aware how much the real cost of doing transaction really is.

Gemini is better than Kraken because of the Gemini Earn program.

But why wouldn't you hold it on Celsius instead? If you buy/hold crypto on Celsius you earn 5-6% interest. That's insane.

The only real reason today you'd use an exchange is if you're a trader and frequently re-balance existing holdings, but Celsius is coming out with spot pricing, near fee-less in-app swaps later this year.
I looked at Celsius but it is not based in the USA. Does that not bother you?

I looked at Celsius but it is not based in the USA. Does that not bother you?

A lot of their team is in the US. Their CEO is in NY. And the leadership team that is not US is ex-Israeli military. As a former venture capitalist I can tell you that the Israeli tech scene is VERY good.

In fact, the UK FORCES Celsius to publish numbers every year. You can actually see Celsius's financials here (much more transparent than BlockFi) - CELSIUS NETWORK LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)

Keep in mind this was before Celsius's AUM 20x exploded in 2020. And how its AUM is $17 billion today.

I'm excited for the Celsius numbers on full year 2020. It's gonna be juicy.

And just to emphasize...imagine if you've held Tesla the last 5+ years and it returned 6% dividends all this time. Oh. My. Gosh. Guess this is what I sound like when I talk about TSLA to my normie friends hahaha.

ADA isn't going to come close to Ethereum once it goes POS. It has less than a fraction of the developer community of Ethereum, which several projects like Optimistic Rollups and Polygon have already developed layer 2 solutions to drastically reduce gas fees. And Vitalik is proposing a fast-tracked approach of Eth 2.0 that might have a version launch as early as this year.

ADA doesn't inherently do anything better than Ethereum once Ethereum transitions to Eth 2.0. The only reason you'd hold ADA is if you believe Ethereum will fail. That's a ballsy bet. You sure you wanna make it?

Compare ADA to a specialized POS blockchain like the Terra ecosystem (which is built entirely from the ground-up to be focused on replacing the financial ecosystem). Terra's entire mechanics are meant to replicate things like stock purchases, derivatives trading, the federal funds rate, etc. It's specialized and can survive in an Ethereum-dominated world. What does ADA do? Its only real pathway to relevancy is ecosystem cornering some geographic niche like Africa.

Even then...I don't know how ADA thrives in an Ethereum dominated world.

Just my .02
I'm not sure about a "winner takes it all" market for crypto. I sincerely hope it's a winner takes it all environment for proof-of-stake, or at least proofs that are millions times greener than proof-of-work.
I actually have some ETH that I just staked for some nice dividend, as I did for ADA and TEZOS and ALGO. Very small amounts, just for fun. I like that PoS is perfect for hodlers like me.

I also wouldn't discount Africa as "some geographic niche" :D
It's a bet as anything else in crypto, but a system who can convince governments to use a blockchain is a system that works in the real world. Not only for Ethiopia but for Europe and US as well. Africa has a gigantic untapped potential. Ask China.
If Cardano works, others clients will likely follow. We'll see, while we wait 2022 for ETH2. I have patience, TSLA taught me that much.

We all know that right now crypto are 90% Ponzi schemes and 10% the platform for some useful future services and products.
My not so informed bet is on the third gen crypto and proof of stake. At least my conscience is clear about all that CO2.

We all know that right now crypto are 90% Ponzi schemes and 10% the platform for some useful future services and products.
Just like Tesla. Bitcoin and Ethereum has been called a ponzi scheme so many times now. At some points, for example at Ethereum’s IPO, this criticism might have been almost valid. And sure at times Bitcoin’s main usages have been illegal stuff. But imo what has been pretty obv to anyone observing the crypto space over the last decade, the amount of legimate use cases have been growing steadily. One cool thing with Ethereum is that you can make legit ponzi scheme, for example:
It has receieved about 18000 transactions: https://etherscan.io/address/0xa7ca36f7273d4d38fc2aec5a454c497f86728a7a

A lot of their team is in the US. Their CEO is in NY. And the leadership team that is not US is ex-Israeli military. As a former venture capitalist I can tell you that the Israeli tech scene is VERY good.

In fact, the UK FORCES Celsius to publish numbers every year. You can actually see Celsius's financials here (much more transparent than BlockFi) - CELSIUS NETWORK LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)

Keep in mind this was before Celsius's AUM 20x exploded in 2020. And how its AUM is $17 billion today.

I'm excited for the Celsius numbers on full year 2020. It's gonna be juicy.

And just to emphasize...imagine if you've held Tesla the last 5+ years and it returned 6% dividends all this time. Oh. My. Gosh. Guess this is what I sound like when I talk about TSLA to my normie friends hahaha.
Do you own any celcius coins directly, or just lend other coins on the celcius platform? Do you know if there's a need to own celcius coin.

Do you own any celcius coins directly, or just lend other coins on the celcius platform? Do you know if there's a need to own celcius coin.

You don't need to own any Celsius coins (called CEL tokens) on the platform to earn interest in the US. That's only for people who are living internationally. And even then, the CEL token just results in a boosted interest rate.

I'm at a finance conference this week at the risk/reward is so clear when you factor in 5-6% interest to crypto investing....it's a totally incomparable investment opportunity. It's in the category of "too good to be true." Literally made $200 this week just by holding crypto in Celsius over Coinbase. I never get tired of this. Never. Lol.

Attachments

• CEL.png
    CEL.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: CorneliusXX
You don't need to own any Celsius coins (called CEL tokens) on the platform to earn interest in the US. That's only for people who are living internationally. And even then, the CEL token just results in a boosted interest rate.

I'm at a finance conference this week at the risk/reward is so clear when you factor in 5-6% interest to crypto investing....it's a totally incomparable investment opportunity. It's in the category of "too good to be true." Literally made $200 this week just by holding crypto in Celsius over Coinbase. I never get tired of this. Never. Lol.
Thanks, it does sound like an interesting proposition. Backsolving the weekly interest suggests you are comfortable placing c.$200k in crypto with them. No concerns that will puff away?

My coins are sitting around not doing much. I've been trying to decide whether I borrow against them to invest in other assets or lend them for interest. I figure if I borrow against them, at least I have the cash if something goes wrong with the platform.

More study for me I think.

Reactions: Xepa777
"SEOUL: Cryptocurrency investors will be imposed a 20% capital gains tax starting next year in South Korea but they are entitled to a tax deduction on expenses incurred during mining processes such as electricity bills."

Inspired by above, I have recently become interested in crypto, mostly because I see great potential in smart contracts.
Financially, I can spare 1K$ for a play-account, for getting my feet wet.
My coding skills are *rusty*, but no contracts without code, so I guess I have to invest some time as well.

Initial 'research':
acc. to wiki the default language for writing contracts, solidity, is not considered a mature language. Wikipedia actually boldly states that the obscurity/immaturity of solidity was partially to blame for the Dao affair. Sic.
Two takeaways: There was a security review pointing out the potential problem. Due to smart contracts being readable and open-source code this was actually discovered and published. Very good! Hard to see how that would have happened in traditional finance without a whistleblower...!
Difficult to evaluate if solidity is a good language and has a good compiler without further study. One could hope that the DAO affair was a platform growing -up experience not to be repeated.

If DEFI is going to base future trillions of transactions of dollar-equivalent on code, the contract language and compiler (and EVM) had better be well-designed and built and vetted!

Questions:
  • Any newbie advice? (wallets, trading platforms, development tips/starter kits or ...?)
  • Anyone here writing contracts or doing development in this space and if yes, what are your takeaways/experiences?
  • Are there tools to translate contracts into human language equivalent? (I know that solidity is what actually constitutes and executes the contract but written English can be easier/quicker to read than code when the language is new, and/or a supplement when learning to program contracts)

Inspired by above, I have recently become interested in crypto, mostly because I see great potential in smart contracts.
My coding skills are *rusty*, but no contracts without code, so I guess I have to invest some time as well.

Initial 'research':
acc. to wiki the default language for writing contracts, solidity, is not considered a mature language. Wikipedia actually boldly states that the obscurity/immaturity of solidity was partially to blame for the Dao affair. Sic.
Two takeaways: There was a security review pointing out the potential problem. Due to smart contracts being readable and open-source code this was actually discovered and published. Very good! Hard to see how that would have happened in traditional finance without a whistleblower...!
Difficult to evaluate if solidity is a good language and has a good compiler without further study. One could hope that the DAO affair was a platform growing -up experience not to be repeated.

If DEFI is going to base future trillions of transactions of dollar-equivalent on code, the contract language and compiler (and EVM) had better be well-designed and built and vetted!

Questions:
  • Any newbie advice? (wallets, trading platforms, development tips/starter kits or ...?)
  • Anyone here writing contracts or doing development in this space and if yes, what are your takeaways/experiences?
  • Are there tools to translate contracts into human language equivalent? (I know that solidity is what actually constitutes and executes the contract but written English can be easier/quicker to read than code when the language is new, and/or a supplement when learning to program contracts)

ADA/Cardano smart contracts are meant to be in more widely known languages. I don't think they're live yet. Plenty more seem to be including smart contracts on their roadmap. I'd appreciate knowing more, in particular, I can't think of a use case that hasn't been done by someone already.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
ADA/Cardano smart contracts are meant to be in more widely known languages. I don't think they're live yet. Plenty more seem to be including smart contracts on their roadmap. I'd appreciate knowing more, in particular, I can't think of a use case that hasn't been done by someone already.
Thanks.
Quick read is that efficiency is their claim to fame. Hm.. That has got to means both speed and environmentally (less compute cycles in mining)
Which could be an important selling point, witness the large fraction of Elon and Tesla fans and investors, who really didn't like the bitcoin buy due to environmental concerns.

Makes sense that other (Cardano, Polkadot) will implement contracts after Ether did the existence and market proof.
But... isn't this one of the classic tech platform first mover advantage cases where Ether will likely prevail?
We shall see...

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton

Initial 'research':

Questions:

Two best crypto channels - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqK_GSMbpiV8spgD3ZGloSw

TL;DR
(1) AAVE is the best DeFi protocol of the blue chips
(2) Everything on binance smart chain will make money now but it's trash and shady
(3) You can loan USDT (digital cash) on Kucoin for >40% APY
(4) As a former corporate VC, the Terra blockchain is the most exciting DeFi project i've seen in all of crypto. BY FAR.
(5) EVERYONE here should learn about "automated market makers" to see how disruptive DeFi is going to be

Two best crypto channels - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqK_GSMbpiV8spgD3ZGloSw

TL;DR
(1) AAVE is the best DeFi protocol of the blue chips
(2) Everything on binance smart chain will make money now but it's trash and shady
(3) You can loan USDT (digital cash) on Kucoin for >40% APY
(4) As a former corporate VC, the Terra blockchain is the most exciting DeFi project i've seen in all of crypto. BY FAR.
(5) EVERYONE here should learn about "automated market makers" to see how disruptive DeFi is going to be
Thanks.
You recommended Terra. Acc to this About stablecoins there has been some problems for other stablecoins re. maintaining the peg ratio.
How does Terra solve this? Are there contracts written to enforce adjusting buy/sale of pegged currencies?

Why are US residents prohibited from buying Terra/Luna? Being an EU resident this is not a problem, I am just curious as to how the US regulatory framework is structured re. cryptocurrencies.

But... isn't this one of the classic tech platform first mover advantage cases where Ether will likely prevail?
I don't know a lot about cryptocurrencies, but I know that the so-called first-mover advantage is over-rated — even in markets with strong network effects. Off the top of my head:
  • Apple's iPhone wasn't the first smartphone
  • Google wasn't the first internet search engine
  • Facebook wasn't the first social network
...etc. Being the first mover may provide an early advantage, but if so that advantage often doesn't last long.