Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recent Elon tweets:
Doge requirements
Doge or new coin?
Clarifying performance vs fees

My preliminary takeaway: As always, Elon is concerned about volume, efficiencies and low costs. I agree, but how to get there?

I don't understand crypto well enough, so here are some questions:
  • If Doge is currently PoW would it take a hard fork to get to PoS?
  • If a hard fork is necessary, will there be Doge Classic and Doge New, like the Ether situation since the hard fork in 2016 to correct the DAO situation?
  • How much of Bitcoins current problems re. mining and lack of speed is built into the design and how much is simply due to the popularity of Bitcoin. In other words, how to design first-principles for trillions of fast transactions: Is there a clear winning design or is this still an open research/practical problem?
  • Is it likely, that what was basically a joke less than a year ago can become the leading crypto mechanism? I owe this to Dave Lee who in his latest video rhetorically ask that since Elon likes to push things to the limit and beyond, how likely is it that a handful of part-time doge devs can live up to Elons expectations?
  • What are Doges plans re. smart contracts and NFTs? Both has increased vastly in popularity - Ethereum seems to be current leader, but other alt-coins like Cardano/ADA, Polkadot parachains, and others are planning to offer smart contract in 2021. Elons hasn't mentioned smart contracts yes AFIK, but it would seem to be necessary in the future.
I agree with all your questions.
From this article:
it seems that the Doge devs did not accept funding, and neither suggestions from Musk in the last 2019.
Very likely they are already quite rich, and my feelings is that changing DOGE it's not an easy task at all. My guess is it's an hard fork, but I'll let other experts correct me if I'm wrong.
Ethereum has been developing for years the shift from PoW to PoS, and they'll probably do it at the end of the year.
And they have a lot of the best devs (like Vitalik Buterin).
The space of 3rd generation crypto is now very crowded (Cardano, Polkadot, and Algo, to name 3 with great leaders and ton of experience). And there will be likely ETH2 among them.

I'm not convinced that Elon can pull off this one, especially as a pet project.

I agree with all your questions.
From this article:
it seems that the Doge devs did not accept funding, and neither suggestions from Musk in the last 2019.
Very likely they are already quite rich, and my feelings is that changing DOGE it's not an easy task at all. My guess is it's an hard fork, but I'll let other experts correct me if I'm wrong.
Ethereum has been developing for years the shift from PoW to PoS, and they'll probably do it at the end of the year.
And they have a lot of the best devs (like Vitalik Buterin).
The space of 3rd generation crypto is now very crowded (Cardano, Polkadot, and Algo, to name 3 with great leaders and ton of experience). And there will be likely ETH2 among them.

I'm not convinced that Elon can pull off this one, especially as a pet project.
Thanks.
Just started in trying to understand various crypto project. Currently reading up on Cardano/Ada. Things I like:

Key figure, Charles Hoskinson, has been involved in both Bitcoin and Ethereum - Cardano/ADA is his third crypto project!
Cardano smart contract will allow NFT to be first class citizens, which is, as I recall, programming lingo for no difference between how the Cardano threats the built-in currency ADA and whatever you make yourself - both are tokens.

The programming language for smart contracts, Plutus, is derived/inspired by Haskell.
Haskell is a functional programming language. Functional languages are born out of theorem proving in the early 80'es - really nerdy, hard-core math stuff. Functional programming languages pioneered things like type-safety used for making efficient and correct compilers and alfa or free types or parametric polymorphism, which allows both freedom to define new types and rigid type evaluations - the best of both world. (Called generics in C sharp and Java).

So, a language inspired by automatic theorem proving of very complicated math, like haskell-like languages, seems like a good choice for smart contracts which in the future will perhaps handle trillions of dollar-equivalent crypto transfers, and quite complex real-world contracts.

Last edited:
remember, there is room for multiple protocols. these protocols will shape the future of internet and the removal of government bureaucracy, etc. those who made the protocols our current internet runs on basically did it for free and the centralized players of big tech made all the profits and we are all the product. the future is where all the users get to profit from the base layer protocols themselves. where the product pays us.

it is too early to tell who the winners and losers will be but in the end we will all be winners in what is to come. currently, i think ada (maybe dot) have the most promise vs ethe. simply because ada and dot are being built from the ground up POS vs ethe who is trying to go backwards to fix issues (this can be an ugly process with many unintended consequences). who knows who else will pop up between now and then.

my opinion is that btc is establishing itself as the pristine store of value. once fully established and stabilized it becomes the world's reserve currency. it is truly the most decentralized. USA needs to embrace this and take back control of its dollar by abolishing the federal reserve.

all the other protocols are less decentralized. they have single leaders who make big decisions on directions. the protocol is designed to be decentralized but are not as pure as btc protocol. they will be perfect for the future of internet, governance, etc.

we are in the 4th turning, it is gonna get ugly...but the beauty of what is on the other side is beyond our imaginations

I’d rather him focus on the fsd I paid for than messing around in the crypto markets lest he become another Mcaffee who should have eaten his penis by now.

Lol, exactly. No matter what side you are on with regards to BTC or crypto in general...I find 2 things very troubling here as a TSLA investor:

1. What kind of due diligence did they do before they purchased 1.5 billion of BTC for their treasury. I don't care what FUD articles elon posts about it (from same publications that FUD TSLA, btw), it is troubling to have such a reverse stance about things that have been points of contention (whether FUD or not) well before their purchase.

2. This obsession he seeming to have with all of it including Doge and now getting offended by the BTC community just seems so focused in the wrong direction. He's got enough on his plate and should get focused. SNL syndrome? I know he has been like this numerous times in the past but this is shaking confidence on his focus right now.

I could be wrong here by I'm just sensing something isn't right about any of this.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Long term TSLA bear Paulo Santos does a deep dive into Elon's interest in Bitcoin and Dogecoin. It seems like a surprisingly reasonable article, though I don't know enough about the topic to make a definitive judgement.

Bottom line is that he's not sure why Elon is messing with Dogecoin instead of just starting a Teslacoin.

Long term TSLA bear Paulo Santos does a deep dive into Elon's interest in Bitcoin and Dogecoin. It seems like a surprisingly reasonable article, though I don't know enough about the topic to make a definitive judgement.

Bottom line is that he's not sure why Elon is messing with Dogecoin instead of just starting a Teslacoin.
Great article.
I agree with the author that we don't know all the story, because if we assume that Musk is a smart person (which we do by default) many of the things he said and done are inconsistent. Too much to be just a joke or light-hearted pet project.Especially since the fact he involved Tesla in this with billions of dollars at stake.

A mere week of research showed me that there are dozens of coins that are much better - at least technically - than Doge.
Check out this tongue-in-cheek video from Charles Hoskinson, creator of Cardano (and previously co-creator of Ethereum):
Crypto have come a long way from Bitcoin and even Doge, and we kinda know that Doge devs did not accept Elon's help in 2019.
And there has been no development since (you can't do anything in Doge, unlike Ethereum or others networks).

Thoughts?

Seems to me that for many people, Crypto/Blockchain has no practical value, so it's nice to see something. I'm no expert, learning, happy to learn from you all.

Built on Cardano, identities for poor unserved people in Africa, base stations being run by locals using various tech, much of it free spectrum, even direct lasers (10km). Seem to be telecom engineers rather than sales types. Allows further access to banking & mobile/data/internet

description:- "Today I talk to Micky Watkins from world mobile who are aiming to connect the unconnected with their project built on top of Cardano. They have big plans with what they are building on Cardano and after talking with Micky I think World Mobile Token will be a huge success and one I'm really looking forward to following and getting involved with. Website: https://worldmobile.io/ Token Website: https://worldmobiletoken.com/ ** "

Timestamps from description for those interested in a particular point:-

Timestamps ** 0:00 Intro To World Mobile 2:23 Team 3:10 World Mobile Token Sale 4:16 Interview Start 5:10 WorldMobile Team Experience 8:00 Current Mobile Networks 9:39 Helping the Community 10:00 Air Node Setup 11:40 Network Setup 12:20 Developed Country Use Case 15:55 Why Cardano and Blockchain 18:20 Atala Prism Identity Solution 19:30 Token Sale & Earth Nodes 23:20 Win win solution 24:35 Going into Countries 26:30 Summary

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Thoughts?

Seems to me that for many people, Crypto/Blockchain has no practical value, so it's nice to see something. I'm no expert, learning, happy to learn from you all.

Built on Cardano, identities for poor unserved people in Africa, base stations being run by locals using various tech, much of it free spectrum, even direct lasers (10km). Seem to be telecom engineers rather than sales types. Allows further access to banking & mobile/data/internet

description:- "Today I talk to Micky Watkins from world mobile who are aiming to connect the unconnected with their project built on top of Cardano. They have big plans with what they are building on Cardano and after talking with Micky I think World Mobile Token will be a huge success and one I'm really looking forward to following and getting involved with. Website: https://worldmobile.io/ Token Website: https://worldmobiletoken.com/ ** "

Timestamps from description for those interested in a particular point:-

Timestamps ** 0:00 Intro To World Mobile 2:23 Team 3:10 World Mobile Token Sale 4:16 Interview Start 5:10 WorldMobile Team Experience 8:00 Current Mobile Networks 9:39 Helping the Community 10:00 Air Node Setup 11:40 Network Setup 12:20 Developed Country Use Case 15:55 Why Cardano and Blockchain 18:20 Atala Prism Identity Solution 19:30 Token Sale & Earth Nodes 23:20 Win win solution 24:35 Going into Countries 26:30 Summary
Thanks.
Cardano is the project that interests me the most: it really tries to solve real world problem.
This video is a nice introduction:

I even contact an "impact investing" expert that works with African companies and he confirmed me that the problems Cardano is tackling are all very real (high fees, no loans, economic identity, cashless society, etc.).
Of course this doesn't mean that Cardano will be the solution, but at least is not a memecoin.
And the coin itself is only a part of a bigger ecosystem.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Seems like totally random statements by Gary...

Is it bullish that Elon removed technoking? Is it bearish? He is changing it all the time and the stock has been mostly going up, but there have also been other things happening. Stuff like production numbers, profits etc.

Selling Bitcoin making TSLA go up 10%? Would exchanging $1B worth of Bitcoin at market price make Tesla worth $50B more?

Elon setting a hard sell limit at $34700? Given that Bitcoin is Bitcoin that could have happened even before they announced that they had bought Bitcoin.

When Bitcoin went up bears said it was irrelevant for Tesla. When Bitcoin is going down suddenly it is very relevant....

Imo Bitcoin bears/bulls needs to chill. Crypto is a rollercoaster ride, it goes up, it goes down. Over and over. There will be drama, nothing goes from $1/1337 to $60000 in 12 years without a healthy dose of drama on the way. Strap on and enjoy the ride! I quote Elon: 💎🙌