Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crypto has no use that generally benefits society. [snip]
It is finding real use in emergency situations. Venezuela and other countries with capital controls or a severely depreciating currency provide room for crypto to gain purchase. It's a hotswappable currency that can't be limited in the same way as USD or other fiat. That said, I agree with your major complaints in your post about volatility and ability to dispute.

I still believe it holds great potential over time. Ultimately it is the first way we have seen to transfer ownership according to indisputable rules quickly (maybe barer bonds were similar, but the entire world had to build physical vaults to store those) while still keeping some level of traceability. Those concepts are extremely valuable even if current iterations do not achieve it well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Had this conversation with a real-estate broker (not agent) just last week.

Crypto/blockchain in general would be FANTASTIC for long-term tracking of real-estate transactions. He and I both agreed it would pretty much overnight put the (worthless) title insurance business sector out of business, and do a far superior job for tracking title ownership in a manner that would be nearly impossible to forge.

I'm no expert on block chain, but I would think that it would be possible to use it separate from a cryptocurrency to track ownership of something like real estate. I agree that title insurance is terrible. My partner always goes over title insurance documents and always finds problems. She has yet to look over a title insurance document that didn't have some serious errors.

I'm no expert on block chain, but I would think that it would be possible to use it separate from a cryptocurrency to track ownership of something like real estate. I agree that title insurance is terrible. My partner always goes over title insurance documents and always finds problems. She has yet to look over a title insurance document that didn't have some serious errors.
That is basically the definition of an NFT. Digitally tracking the ownership of an asset using blockchain.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
That is basically the definition of an NFT. Digitally tracking the ownership of an asset using blockchain.

But it's not.

Most NFTs aren't tracking ownership of an asset, they're tracking ownership of "something" shown at a URL with nothing to verify what the "something" even is.

You don't "own" the art, because it'd be too expensive to put a digital version of the art on the block chain....just the pointer TO the art is on the blockchain.... and there's nothing (inherent in NFTs spec anyway) giving you any rights of any guarantee beyond that....

For anyone who hasn't read just how non-clothed the NFT emperor is I suggest:

Specifically

Instead of storing the data on-chain, NFTs instead contain a URL that points to the data. What surprised me about the standards was that there’s no hash commitment for the data located at the URL. Looking at many of the NFTs on popular marketplaces being sold for tens, hundreds, or millions of dollars, that URL often just points to some VPS running Apache somewhere. Anyone with access to that machine, anyone who buys that domain name in the future, or anyone who compromises that machine can change the image, title, description, etc for the NFT to whatever they’d like at any time (regardless of whether or not they “own” the token). There’s nothing in the NFT spec that tells you what the image “should” be, or even allows you to confirm whether something is the “correct” image

• Informative
Reactions: ggr and JRP3
Crypto has no use that generally benefits society. It's great for the inventors and early investors of a crypto that happens to get popular and take off. These people can get rich, but they are not creating anything. It's the best thing since sliced bread for black marketeers, who need an easy and relatively untraceable way to transfer money. From drugs to human trafficking, crypto is the currency of choice. It has transformed ransomware from a niche criminal activity into a true big business for organized crime. And it's an opportunity for speculators to gamble and get rich or get wiped out, depending on their luck or skill timing the market. And the costs to society are immense, from the wasted fossil fuels and resulting carbonization of the atmosphere, to the crime that crypto facilitates.

For normal financial transactions it is terrible: You cannot dispute a fraudulent transaction, and the value is horribly unstable. Every purchase or sale becomes a speculation: Will a coin be worth double when I spend it compared to when I got it, or will it be worth half? The only near certainty is that it will not be worth the same unless I spend it the instant I receive it.

It's a scam from start to finish. It probably cannot be stopped, because of the nature of the internet, but the people running the scam are accessories to the crime which is its only real use.
That would be a legitimate use of blockchain (if it works, which I'll take your word for.) Has no bearing on the Ponzi scheme which is cryptocurrency.

I will respectfully disagree with most of that.

1. Benefit: Direct control of your money and how it gets held and transferred. No 3rd parties involved, no counterparty risk.

2. Criminal activity: Criminals have used many "untraceable" stores of value, including cash, gold, and diamonds. There's nothing inherently criminal about any of those, and crypto is no exception. Where there are criminals, they will attempt to move their stolen goods by any means.

3. Energy use: See above for the proof-of-work/proof-of-stake discussion regarding the energy usage. That will eventually go away.

4. Volatility: The only reason that cryptocurrency is volatile is because it is compared in price to other currencies which are viewed as "stable". But if you're not interested in turning your Bitcoin into dollars or euros or pounds, then that's irrelevant.

5. Fraud: Transactions in cryptocurrency are the same as cash -- you of course can dispute a fraudulent transaction, through the courts -- the same as you'd do if someone stole cash from you. You do not have the luxury of complaining to the payment provider like you do with a credit card -- but on the other hand you don't pay exorbitant transaction fees and account fees either.

6. The references to "Ponzi scheme" or "scam" are ridiculous. Ponzi schemes pay previous investors with the influx of money from new investors. That's not how cryptocurrency works, and the blockchain is 100% transparent and free for anyone to examine for proof. Your actual complaint, and what you mean to say, is that you don't trust cryptocurrency as a store of value because there is no one guaranteeing that value. Well, I have news for you. That's the same thing as gold or diamonds. All of these things are worth only what people are willing to pay for them.

This is now a “Kitchen Sink” quarter. Between shanghai lockdown, one time layoff charges, & Bitcoin impairments, Tesla should try and get as much negative earnings contributions into this quarter as possible, and set up the next 4 quarters for the blistering EPS reads.

Personally I’m hoping the craptastic moronic BTC investment gets as close to zero as possible before the end of the month so that giant suckage of an unnecessary risk is removed as a future uncertainty on earnings.

This is now a “Kitchen Sink” quarter. Between shanghai lockdown, one time layoff charges, & Bitcoin impairments…

Personally I’m hoping the craptastic moronic BTC investment gets as close to zero as possible before the end of the month so that giant suckage of an unnecessary risk is removed as a future uncertainty on earnings.

My wish is better: I hope Tesla sold their Bitcoin holdings to reduce risk. 🙏

Heck, if so - that could have even sparked the Bitcoin sell off 😬

My wish is better: I hope Tesla sold their Bitcoin holdings to reduce risk. 🙏

Heck, if so - that could have even sparked the Bitcoin sell off 😬
BTC and entire crypto market sell off had a cascade of events.

First Luna, a stable coin went to zero a month ago caused massive instability in the crypto market as it's one of the top 10 most traded crypto.

Now Celsius, a crypto lending company decided to halt all withdraws to prevent a run. This company agrees to pay depositors of their coins a 9-10% return as interest, while they make 12-13% on the backend from people who wants to leverage and buy crypto. The problem is they had liquidity problems to deal with the recent risk off sell off due to the shockwave from Luna's collapse. The company has their own crypto called Cel, which is suppose to use to generate liquidity for withdraws, however Cel keeps crashing as confidence in Celsius' ability to give people their money back diminished. They have been loading on debt to keep up with the withdraw demand until the weekend they finally halted all withdraws which caused all crypto to plummet.

There's a complex house of cards going on in the crypto world and it's scary as F.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220613-211743_Chrome.jpg

This darn crypto market is less than a trillion now and occupies an inordinate amount of mind share and consumes tons of productive capacity and energy, with no contribution to the real economy.

Arguably the contribution is negative, with consuming ridiculous amounts of semiconductors, energy, while enabling some fraud around the edges.

• Informative
Reactions: Queeg500
Not sure what you're asking. But look here for a number or two. Value of payment card fraud worldwide 2027 | Statista

That says "The value of fraudulent transactions made with payment cards worldwide in 2021 was projected to amount to more than 32 billion U.S. dollars." It's where the money is.
Ok I don't know where you're going with this or just being a contrarian. Credit card fraud is federally protected, so you're not liable for purchases. And the kicker that YOU SEEM to not get is that crypto fraud is not only not protected, but it's your money that is getting stolen, not VISA, Chase, or MC, etc etc. And in the context of what's happening this is important news.

Reactions: FireMedic
Ok I don't know where you're going with this or just being a contrarian. Credit card fraud is federally protected, so you're not liable for purchases. And the kicker that YOU SEEM to not get is that crypto fraud is not only not protected, but it's your money that is getting stolen, not VISA, Chase, or MC, etc etc. And in the context of what's happening this is important news.
Not my money. I don't have any crypto assets. Now if you want to talk about how our money is being stolen, let's talk TSLA, which I can sell for USD. At the current rate of inflation, my TSLA holdings will be worth about 7% less a year from now. That's what some would call "fiat currency fraud". With all TSLA currently worth about $650B, Tesla shareholders are being defrauded (perfectly legally) to the tune of $45.5B per year. Now multiply that out by all the other USD assets....

The truth is that the cryptocurrency losses due to fraud are pretty typical when put in context.