Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bizarre AP experience today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 60K miles of driving across two Teslas, I had something happen on AP today that I’ve never heard experienced before.

Was on a two-lane highway at 55mph, no traffic in either direction, clear sunny weather facing away from the sun. Suddenly I get a couple rapid pulses on the brake - brake, speed back up, brake, speed back up - then autosteer starts to “destabilize,” swerving subtly left and right before finally crossing the very clearly marked double yellow at about a 5 degree angle.

Obviously that’s when I chose to disengage. Promptly pressed the FSD problem report button (even though it wasn’t technically FSD driving).

Anyone experience something like this? Obviously errant braking is old news, but I’ve NEVER had AP autosteer go wacky on me like that.

On 10.12.2.

Oh, wow. I had something similar happen to me yesterday afternoon. I had been driving for a couple of hours at the time, had done a lot of driving this week, and hadn’t connected to wifi in a few days. So when it started doing this weirdness and then gave me the red steering wheel (I waited to see what would happen), I wondered if a storage medium had filled up or something.

The message displayed was something like “Autopilot disabled due to system error.” I’ve been meaning to go into the maintenance view to see if it has a more detailed message.

Oh, wow. I had something similar happen to me yesterday afternoon. I had been driving for a couple of hours at the time, had done a lot of driving this week, and hadn’t connected to wifi in a few days. So when it started doing this weirdness and then gave me the red steering wheel (I waited to see what would happen), I wondered if a storage medium had filled up or something.

The message displayed was something like “Autopilot disabled due to system error.” I’ve been meaning to go into the maintenance view to see if it has a more detailed message.
Are you also using an FSD Beta build?

Are you also using an FSD Beta build?
Oh, yeah. I guess I left out some crucial details.

I’m on the FSD Beta build, and a ton of my driving this past week was done using the beta without connecting to wifi. So my first thought was maybe some cache filled up.

I believe when this happened, it was on NoA. I’m not 100% sure I trust my memory, though. It happened right after passing through a small town, and sometimes the car goes a little odd and flips back and forth between the beta and NoA within seconds.

Like any of these?

Tesla FSD beta 10.3.1 - that was close!

FSD Beta v10.0 First Drive & Impressions | Dog, Stops, Peds Xing | 2021.24.15 FSD Beta 10

Steering into oncoming lanes, even with traffic present, seems to have shown up in the 8.x version before they stopped pushing updates for a while, and it hasn't gone away since. It's pretty alarming when it happens, too, because it's absolute last second stuff in so many cases.
Yes! Exactly like the second one where it “wobbled” before crossing the yellow. Definitely freaked me out.

Reactions: DrDabbles
A couple of versions ago I was on a 2-lane rural road in perfect weather conditions and good lane markings, when FSDb swerved into the oncoming lane (no traffic) for no apparent reason, then stayed in that lane for about 200 feet before swerving back into the correct lane. Since then I have seen it steer slightly left, cross the center line, then back. Again, no apparent reason.

I named it Christine for a reason.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
A couple of versions ago I was on a 2-lane rural road in perfect weather conditions and good lane markings, when FSDb swerved into the oncoming lane (no traffic) for no apparent reason, then stayed in that lane for about 200 feet before swerving back into the correct lane. Since then I have seen it steer slightly left, cross the center line, then back. Again, no apparent reason.

I named it Christine for a reason.
Does the visualization match the road conditions? Does the blue route line show it making that move? And lastly have you tried recalibration of the cameras?

This seems fairly awful

Even a supposedly attentive driver let the car drive itself fully over the double yellow lines with at least 2 if not 3, and possibly all 4 wheels.. while intervening.
This on a pretty blind curve where there was no way the driver had good line of sight on the oncoming traffic lane.
Had there been oncoming cars, or worse - bikers/pedestrians.. likely fatalities.

The delta between the driver "well this was the first intervention this whole drive" and the GFs extremely loud exhale tells you everything about the passenger experience under FSD (and often even AP/EAP/NoA).

Reactions: 2101Guy
This seems fairly awful

Even a supposedly attentive driver let the car drive itself fully over the double yellow lines with at least 2 if not 3, and possibly all 4 wheels.. while intervening.
This on a pretty blind curve where there was no way the driver had good line of sight on the oncoming traffic lane.
Had there been oncoming cars, or worse - bikers/pedestrians.. likely fatalities.

The delta between the driver "well this was the first intervention this whole drive" and the GFs extremely loud exhale tells you everything about the passenger experience under FSD (and often even AP/EAP/NoA).
is this the version thats "fire" or is that one coming up soon?
(so many fire versions who can keep up)

Either way, Im sure someone will report here soon explaining how the tech is very advanced and performing as it should and the problem is with the driver

is this the version thats "fire" or is that one coming up soon?
(so many fire versions who can keep up)

Either way, Im sure someone will report here soon explaining how the tech is very advanced and performing as it should and the problem is with the driver

This version COULD have been fire, had the driver not intervened (the fire would have been 1000 ft down the side of that cliff)

The only thing worse is the new fad of Tesla owners having their kids run/walk around public streets to show how - see, this version of FSD, on my car, in this scenario.. wouldn't hit a kid!

Great stuff. Very low bar.

Also having your kids in the street eyes focussed on dad (it's ALWAY dad, no mom would do this).. is extremely stupid as they are unaware of other traffic. The ones I see posted by guys clearly doing this after work so it's dusk with suboptimal visibility are.. insane.

Reactions: 2101Guy