TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bizarre behavior from my Model S the other day...

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tinm, Apr 7, 2016.

1. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I was out doing errands and got home, quietly pulled down the driveway, and was juuuussssst in the final stretch of slowwwllllly entering the garage, when nearly every system inside the car decided to activate itself! The car just went nuts!

All of a sudden, let's see:

• the radio goes on, LOUD!
    • the two seat heaters go on, set to 3!
    • the heat goes on, fan at 8 (I'm in Range mode)
    • the defrost goes on!
    • the rear window defrost goes on!
    • I can't remember, but some of the windows may have activated .... it all happened suddenly
    • I'm sure other things went on too, I was too distracted by all the noise to notice.

Has anyone EVER had this happen before? I'm on the latest 7.1 firmware; 2013 Model S85.

Naturally, I quickly turned everything off, and parked the car in the garage, and that was that.

But I remain completely puzzled as to why the car just had a total CPU brain fart, for lack of a better term.

Any ideas?

2. Petra

Petra Member

Do you have rodents...?

3. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Um, not that I know of. You mean, critters making a home in the frunk? I haven't seen a rodent in these parts in many many months.

4. Blue_Model_S

Blue_Model_S Member

Never experienced anything like it. Only thing I can suggest is to call Tesla and have them look at the car logs.

5. Petra

Petra Member

Just a thought... they tend to like nibbling on wiring.

6. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

On the older cars, the touchscreen frame was not grounded, and because of this, the touchscreen was sometimes subject to interference which would manifest itself as spurious phantom touches on the bottom of the screen.

They corrected this sometime in 2014 I think. But if your car is older, it could have this issue. It can be triggered by static electricity, cellphone transmissions, nearby electrical equipment (such as a garage door opener), etc.

7. Kalud

Kalud Member

... or by a wipe of the top dash with a dry microfiber towel ;)

8. vemuru

vemuru Member

Hi Tinm:

It happened to my car too and on a road trip from VA to CA in December. What I observed is that if you place the wireless modem(AT & T) under the cubby it somehow disturbs the dashboard. I have a small video I was able to record and will upload it when I find it. It happened to me twice and I took the car to the service center in San Diego and they said they could not find any issues and just updated the firmware on a two week old car.

Vemuru

• Informative x 1
  9. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Glad to know my car isn't the only one with this situation. Sorta!

10. John E.

John E. Member

The last couple of days, my seat heaters have turned on by themselves. Anybody have any insights?

11. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Exactly. The only time I've had what the OP described, was when I wiped a dry microfiber towel across the dash. Did exactly the same thing, figured it was static electricity and a grounding problem.