Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bizarre Installation? 4 Powerwalls 15 kWh system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow is day 3 of my install
Florida
I signed up for solar 15 kw and 4 Powerwalls.
My meter happens to be opposite to my garage divides into Panel A and Panel B.
Panel A only runs the pool
Panel B which goes all the way to the garage runs everything else including 2 air conditioners well water pump, dryer, fridge, water heater. Etc. -Pretty much THE WHOLE HOUSE.
Without having a discussion with me. They went ahead and installed 3 Powerwalls on panel B with 10kw from solar.

Then on Panel A (the pool pump) the rest of 5 kw of solar and 1 powerwall. Does this make sense?

Is it not possible if the meter comes in to feed the whole 15 kw and 4 Powerwalls to power both panels like the grid does ? I will attach picture.

why would I use 5kw of my 15 kw and 1 powerwall to power a pool pump that is active 11 hours a day?

Any input would be appreciated. They are coming in tomorrow to finish the job. Installing surge shield since 3 Powerwalls are not enough for panel B.
As I write this I have 2 gateways. The gateway with the pool pump has Zero kWh usage.
Also this upsets me since I conceded from changing powerwall location from garage to outdoors. The initial evaluation gentleman stated they could install Powerwalls inside the garage. The Installation crew said no had to be next to meter which places them in the afternoon in direct sunlight and I live in Florida.
I have no electrical background hence wanted to get some opinions from you guys.
Is this bizarre or is this a common Powerwall solar installation

Attachments

• AA8F9C4F-A8F8-4503-A68D-0EC170867BA8.jpeg
    AA8F9C4F-A8F8-4503-A68D-0EC170867BA8.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 59D211B1-F2EE-4220-AE4F-5D81F0D2C594.jpeg
    59D211B1-F2EE-4220-AE4F-5D81F0D2C594.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 73
  • D049B08A-FE4A-48AC-B599-FD36FFEBE1C2.jpeg
    D049B08A-FE4A-48AC-B599-FD36FFEBE1C2.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
...Also this upsets me since I conceded from changing powerwall location from garage to outdoors. The initial evaluation gentleman stated they could install Powerwalls inside the garage. The Installation crew said no had to be next to meter which places them in the afternoon in direct sunlight and I live in Florida...

The batteries are designed for both indoor and outdoor so I wouldn't be worried about being outdoor.

...Without having a discussion with me...

Who are they? Usually, Tesla would give you a plan wouldn't it?

...Is it not possible if the meter comes in to feed the whole 15 kw and 4 Powerwalls to power both panels like the grid does ?...

That would be my preference also but maybe there are some reasons that they split in 2.

I am not sure but maybe your house takes up a 200 Ampere panel which is maximum for current Tesla setup and your pool takes up some high ampere figure as well?

I've heard that if your household uses more than 200 Amperes, future Tesla willl be able to deal with that but right now it can only set up for 200 amperes each. (Some new houses come with 400 Amperes and that got to be split into 2 for now)

The only time it should really matter is when the grid is down and the two panels are islanded. When the grid is up the whole 15kW of solar can power anything in either panel. I don't know how a multiple gateway system works as far as peak shaving, it is possible for them to work together and peak shave both panels, I just don't know if Tesla has implemented that.

Do you want the pool to have any backup power? If so, and 1 Powerwall can run it this is probably OK. If not, you should request that all 4 Powerwalls be on Panel B.

But there may be panel feed limitations that prevent all 15kW of solar, and 4 Powerwalls, from being connected to a single panel.

• Informative
Reactions: xasroma
Thanks for the prompt replies. I really appreciate it. I will discuss with them since they will be coming. I am not interested in backup power for the pool.
Like MP3Mike said I would rather have 4 parallel for the house.
So 15 kw together for one panel maybe not possible but 4 powerwalls together should work.

The batteries are designed for both indoor and outdoor so I wouldn't be worried about being outdoor.

Could the longevity Be better being inside vs outside in direct sunlight 6 hours a day?
I have plenty of space in the garage.
This is expensive gear and the whole systems is not cheap.
Do they really need to be next to The main panel?
My garage is 60 feet away. If it was possible to run a cable through the attic as a customer I am not going to be happy with install.
I am a Tesla auto owner and LT stockholder I have hopes for Tesla.

Who are they? Usually, Tesla would give you a plan wouldn't it?

I found out Main A runs only the pool and nothing else until AFTER they installed the powerwalls. I really didn’t know how my house was wired.

I was shown 2 gateways on Tesla app : one with 3 and another with 1 powerwall I inquired how come I had such a setup. Aren’t 4 together easier ?

30% of my solar and 25% of my powerwalls were installed to run a pool pump and back it up in case I want to swim on an outage. Lol.
I would rather ignore completely Main A bad have everything in Main B.

Tomorrow is day 3 of my install
Florida
I signed up for solar 15 kw and 4 Powerwalls.
My meter happens to be opposite to my garage divides into Panel A and Panel B.
Panel A only runs the pool
Panel B which goes all the way to the garage runs everything else including 2 air conditioners well water pump, dryer, fridge, water heater. Etc. -Pretty much THE WHOLE HOUSE.
Without having a discussion with me. They went ahead and installed 3 Powerwalls on panel B with 10kw from solar.

Then on Panel A (the pool pump) the rest of 5 kw of solar and 1 powerwall. Does this make sense?

Is it not possible if the meter comes in to feed the whole 15 kw and 4 Powerwalls to power both panels like the grid does ? I will attach picture.

why would I use 5kw of my 15 kw and 1 powerwall to power a pool pump that is active 11 hours a day?

Any input would be appreciated. They are coming in tomorrow to finish the job. Installing surge shield since 3 Powerwalls are not enough for panel B.
As I write this I have 2 gateways. The gateway with the pool pump has Zero kWh usage.
Also this upsets me since I conceded from changing powerwall location from garage to outdoors. The initial evaluation gentleman stated they could install Powerwalls inside the garage. The Installation crew said no had to be next to meter which places them in the afternoon in direct sunlight and I live in Florida.
I have no electrical background hence wanted to get some opinions from you guys.
Is this bizarre or is this a common Powerwall solar installation
With hindsight:
200A feed to Gateway to Panel B
4 PW + solar in new generation panel (assuming existing panel can't handle 120A of PW and 10kW solar) to Gateway (load side).
Panel A left as is, no gateway, no backup.
Make sure they verify the surge sheild works when the system is in island mode. That is a common problem.
Thread with this install type:
Solar & Powerwall wiring

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-8_19-57-31.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Informative
Could the longevity Be better being inside vs outside in direct sunlight 6 hours a day?
I have plenty of space in the garage.
This is expensive gear and the whole systems is not cheap.
Do they really need to be next to The main panel?
My garage is 60 feet away. If it was possible to run a cable through the attic as a customer I am not going to be happy with install.
I am a Tesla auto owner and LT stockholder I have hopes for Tesla.
Yes, they could be installed away from main panel, but a disconnect may need to be at the meter/ main breaker location to deenergize the structure in an emergency.
Out of the sun would be better.

• Informative
Yes, they could be installed away from main panel, but a disconnect may need to be at the meter/ main breaker location to deenergize the structure in an emergency.
Out of the sun would be better.

Thank you very much for the very informative posts. I will make sure to check shield works based on above post. At this point in time they are probably going to have to sit in the sun. I don’t see the crew restarting in the garage. But at least I learned they were installed there because installers wanted to work less.

Thank you very much for the very informative posts. I will make sure to check shield works based on above post. At this point in time they are probably going to have to sit in the sun. I don’t see the crew restarting in the garage. But at least I learned they were installed there because installers wanted to work less.
They may have trying to save cost also. Keep in mind, I'm neighter a pro, nor in your area, so there may be code issues with remote batteries.
I'd check with them on moving the 4th PW to panel A since that has your large and critical loads.

• Informative
They may have trying to save cost also. Keep in mind, I'm neighter a pro, nor in your area, so there may be code issues with remote batteries.
I'd check with them on moving the 4th PW to panel A since that has your large and critical loads.

There’s only one gentleman working on electrical side (not solar installation)he is not an engineer, I told him exactly what you advised me Mongo. He wants to install surge shield even with 4 powerwalls. Thanks a lot for the help in such a short notice.

I am thinking of maybe installing/placing an object such as a tree bush, scarecrow in front of the power walls to block some of the sun, it gets very hot here in Florida.

There’s only one gentleman working on electrical side (not solar installation)he is not an engineer, I told him exactly what you advised me Mongo. He wants to install surge shield even with 4 powerwalls. Thanks a lot for the help in such a short notice.
Is he moving the 4th to panel A then?
Just make sure it works properly without grid power. Don't want to worry you, but in many cases, they end up not working. Could run a test without it first.

I am thinking of maybe installing/placing an object such as a tree bush, scarecrow in front of the power walls to block some of the sun, it gets very hot here in Florida.

Mind the spacing, there are rules on access to electrical panels, and the PW has its own clearance requirements.

• Informative
Is he moving the 4th to panel A then?
Just make sure it works properly without grid power. Don't want to worry you, but in many cases, they end up not working. Could run a test without it first.
No he is not, all this time he has been installing solaredge things. spoke to Remote manager. After lengthy discussion ( I don’t want a pool pump with a powerwall and 5kw of solar ) we may do what you suggested keeping 4 powerwalls together. But He says we need to submit again permit to have 4 powerwalls together.
They didn’t do that when they decided to install powerwalls outdoors. At this point I don’t know who to believe.

No he is not, all this time he has been installing solaredge things. spoke to Remote manager. After lengthy discussion ( I don’t want a pool pump with a powerwall and 5kw of solar ) we may do what you suggested keeping 4 powerwalls together. But He says we need to submit again permit to have 4 powerwalls together.
They didn’t do that when they decided to install powerwalls outdoors. At this point I don’t know who to believe.

The electrical permit may require a system drawing, if so, the charge needs to be processed otherwise it could go badly at inspection.

• Informative
I see NO reason to run the pool during a grid outage! Put all the Powerwalls on the B circuit!

Also, how much power does the pool actually draw? I would not overprovision it, but put as much of the solar output as possible to the B circuit to run the house. If you are limited by a 10KW inverter, dedicate as much of the solar output to the B circuit as you can without excessive clipping. Other option is to get a larger inverter on the B circuit (2 x 6KW or 1 x 11.4 KW) or use microinverters. If neither of those is possible, then you'll just have to sell the excess electricity to the grid.

I just saw the installation plans and they do have 3 powerwalls and 1 powerwall separately. Mongo as you said they can’t change it.

Oh, they can change it, but it will have a cost (time, money, or both) associated. Not my call, but I'd push for the change to occur.Cheaper now than later, and better to have the 4th powerwall on the house panel. May be able to get the second gateway removed for a cost offset.

It's too bad they won't (NOT "can't"!) change it. Stories like these keep me recommending local installers instead of Tesla's "cookie cutter" solutions. With my local installer (A&R Solar in Seattle), I knew exactly what I was getting well before it was too late to change!

With hindsight:
200A feed to Gateway to Panel B
4 PW + solar in new generation panel (assuming existing panel can't handle 120A of PW and 10kW solar) to Gateway (load side).
Panel A left as is, no gateway, no backup.
Make sure they verify the surge sheild works when the system is in island mode. That is a common problem.
Thread with this install type:
Solar & Powerwall wiring

I couldn’t open the attachment and thread doesn’t mention island mode or surge shield.