Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bizarre new screen display bugs while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Ok this was unexpected.

I was charging and everything was going fine until I looked closely at the charging status screen and noticed missing numbers and letters and button labels. Has ANYONE ever seen anything like this? Totally new bug, but, I've charged multiple times over the past month or so since I downloaded the latest firmware. So why would this weirdness suddenly appear? Memory issues? Is the MCU flaking out?

Below are three screen shots that have been annotated to show the errors:

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

This happened to me two weeks ago, but it happened during the few hours that the Tesla app was down so I just...assumed that something was funky across everything Tesla at the time. I did a soft reset (both steering wheel buttons) and it was displaying normally after that (and has been fine since then...).

Mine has done that occasionally as well. Doesn’t seem to affect any aspect of any of the other screens - it is only there on the supercharging screen. Also doesn’t affect the instrument cluster display which will show you the correct numbers. I did a soft reset as well and haven’t noticed it since, however I rarely supercharge. 2014 MS 85 classic. Screen replaced in 2017 due to the bubbling issue.

Had a mobile tech visit me just now on another issue and I showed him the screen shots. He says this screen issue is known in the company, software engineers have an open ticket on it, and it will be fixed in an upcoming firmware update.

Ok this was unexpected.

I was charging and everything was going fine until I looked closely at the charging status screen and noticed missing numbers and letters and button labels. Has ANYONE ever seen anything like this? Totally new bug, but, I've charged multiple times over the past month or so since I downloaded the latest firmware. So why would this weirdness suddenly appear? Memory issues? Is the MCU flaking out?

View attachment 453738

View attachment 453739

View attachment 453740

I'm new to posting anything so please be patient with me if I doing anything wrong... Speaking of screen issues, I need some advice:
My 2013 Model S 85 has 93,000 miles on it. To this point, Tesla has been great, They replaced my motor at 47,000 because there was too much "lash" between acceleration and deceleration. They replaced my door handle at no charge as well when it quit. Then at 93,000 I got a note on the screen that said: "Vehicle needs service, May not restart" I had it towed to the service center and after 10 days they said I had water egress ( I live in Southern California and keep my car garaged so I don't know how THAT happened) but they gave my ANOTHER new motor. When I got the car back I noticed that the screen had a large bubble in it. I called the service center and they said the bubble was already there. I was NOT. I shot photos every five days beginning with the day I got it back and the bubble was steadily spreading across the top and sides of the screen. Essentially, I 'm being asked to believe this was a coincidence that it just happened to start when they had the car? NO WAY. See photo's I emailed and asked for the issue to be escalated but my emails have been ignored. What do I do now?
Bubbling Screen Aug 5th.jpg
Bubbling Screen Aug 10th.jpg
Bubbling Screen Aug 20th.jpg
Screen bubbling Aug272019.jpg

I have this happen often on my 2013 Model S. A screen reboot fixes it every time, it's a software issue, not an MCU issue.

Ok this was unexpected.

Yeah that's what I thought -- memory.

Gulp. Which means MCU replacement, no? Gulp. I'm out of warranty. Which means like $2500-3000, right? Gulp.
Just wondering, how much would it cost to get an extended warranty for my Model 3 to give me bumper to bumper protection after my 4 year warranty runs out. Ihorror stories about the cost having to replace motors, drive units, or MCUs out of pocket might make such a warranty worth considering?

I'm new to posting anything so please be patient with me if I doing anything wrong... Speaking of screen issues, I need some advice:
My 2013 Model S 85 has 93,000 miles on it. To this point, Tesla has been great, They replaced my motor at 47,000 because there was too much "lash" between acceleration and deceleration. They replaced my door handle at no charge as well when it quit. Then at 93,000 I got a note on the screen that said: "Vehicle needs service, May not restart" I had it towed to the service center and after 10 days they said I had water egress ( I live in Southern California and keep my car garaged so I don't know how THAT happened) but they gave my ANOTHER new motor. When I got the car back I noticed that the screen had a large bubble in it. I called the service center and they said the bubble was already there. I was NOT. I shot photos every five days beginning with the day I got it back and the bubble was steadily spreading across the top and sides of the screen. Essentially, I 'm being asked to believe this was a coincidence that it just happened to start when they had the car? NO WAY. See photo's I emailed and asked for the issue to be escalated but my emails have been ignored. What do I do now? View attachment 454212 View attachment 454213 View attachment 454215 View attachment 454217
This is a known quality issue with the early (2012-2014) screens. As I noted above, I had to have my center screen replaced for the same reason, although it wasn't quite as bad as yours - I had small bubbles across the top, not one giant bubble like yours. Just looked at the invoice (it was actually in March 2018, not 2017 as I stated above) and the screen lasted about 3.5 years before I started noticing the bubbles and then it took another 3-4 months for them to get an appropriate replacement. I have a May 2014 MS 85.

Anyway, the official term for that, as shown on my invoice is "delaminating". So you will want to schedule service because your "touchscreen is delaminating". Not sure if they'll charge you for it (I got mine for free, but I was still in warranty). Recommend you call rather than email, tell them your center screen is delaminating, and ask how to get it replaced.

Last edited: