Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bjørn Nyland on the Autobahn: Tesla Model S P85 driving 200 km/h, 125 mph for 12 min

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite impressive, even at the old firmware of 130mph it handled it well. No louder than other cars I've been in at that speed afaik.

I think the BMW, audi German cars usually have stiffer suspension to provide better high speed stability when loading at such high speed so composure is probably better with the German cars.

AMG, RS and M cars in gear will have much better performance but energy/fuel used is much better in the tesla. Factoring in its free. A 5.0 v8 I drive at that speed will get 130 miles to a tank, tesla is not far off but in Germany with a sc it's completely free!

Bjorn posted it over in the video section before anyone else had seen it. Not terribly surprising, really. [/sarcasm]
I actually never noticed the video section, no idea how I managed to do that :confused:

Although I'm not sure how many people find a video about a certain topic in Bjørn's thread, unless you check it all the time.

Factoring in its free. A 5.0 v8 I drive at that speed will get 130 miles to a tank, tesla is not far off but in Germany with a sc it's completely free!
Sure, but then you can fuel it up in 5min at a gas station.

Battery swap stations would be the only way to fix this gap as far as I can see, but that seems to be expensive, both for the customer as well as Tesla.

Watching the video was exciting but also very very sad considering the pathetic speed limits in the US.

So much for living in the land of the free... I wish law enforcement would focus on actual reckless driving like tailgating or cutting people off but oh no. They wait in a corner snacking to pull over people minding their own business going a bit over the "speed limit."

I hope one day we abolish the speed limits on major interstates with the one rule that if you are driving slower to the traffic on the left lane, you need to be on the right lane.

So much for living in the land of the free... I wish law enforcement would focus on actual reckless driving like tailgating or cutting people off but oh no. They wait in a corner snacking to pull over people minding their own business going a bit over the "speed limit."

German cops aren't that different. I don't think my parents ever got a ticket on the Autobahn, but always on that rural road with fields of both sides going 10-15kmh too fast. Sure there are some undercover cops and they make TV documentaries about how they catch those rechless drivers, but most people get caught in speed traps at much lower speed.

I think in the end it's driving education that makes the biggest difference, also when you see it costs 1000-2000€ for a license here in Germany.

I actually never noticed the video section, no idea how I managed to do that :confused:

Although I'm not sure how many people find a video about a certain topic in Bjørn's thread, unless you check it all the time.

Some nerds even subscribe to his YouTube channel. I've heard of families sitting around watching his 75-90 minute road trip videos together.

:bag:

Sure, but then you can fuel it up in 5min at a gas station.

Battery swap stations would be the only way to fix this gap as far as I can see, but that seems to be expensive, both for the customer as well as Tesla.

If you watch Bjørn's travel Videos he seldom complains about having to wait at a Supercharger station. In his latest Easter trip part 1 video he does, but then he walks to a nearby shop and looks over some wonderful German deserts and samples some. The car is ready before he is, and he gets to see and experience more of Germany instead of just blasting straight to Amsterdam. This seems a much more pleasant way to vacation travel to me.

However, business people may prefer the 5 minute stop to get gas. Even then, I can spend 20 minutes if I also use the restroom and buy coffee or snacks, so I could supercharge even for a "fast" stop.

GSP

PS. As may be obvious, I am another nerd that subscribes to Bjørn's You Tube channel. They are fun to watch.

Tesla Model S P85 driving 200 km/h, 125 mph for 12 minutes - YouTube

As someone from Germany it's great to see some Autobahn videos.
Pretty much what I expected. Kinda loud and it also seems a bit shaky compared to German cars in the price range.

Edit: => Bjørn's Tesla Model S videos

I just viewed a video of an autobahn run at the same speeds in a Porsche 918, also with a Koeniggsegg, and it was *very* noticeably more jumpy, and much noisier, than Bjorn's Model S. camera mounting could be a factor here, I suppose? And of course an S class or 7-8 series would be a better comparison.

The windmill / turbines --- during the 7 minute to 8 minute marks in the video --- were a beautiful backdrop to the powerful Tesla Model S scorching the German highway.

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for posting this!

Bjorn was gobbling up some serious real estate!

Some nerds even subscribe to his YouTube channel. I've heard of families sitting around watching his 75-90 minute road trip videos together.

:bag:

I guess you have to be a nerd to drive a Model S as well? :wink:
Anyway, having said that, I drive a Model S, I am subscribed to his channel, I have been watching his road trip videos, I went to Norway, had lunch with Bjørn, fun on the Autobahn on my wy back... and yes you can empty a full charge in just 150km (or even less if you try hard enough). And by the way, the noise level was very comfortable during those high speed trips between superchargers. The only thing that was a bit of a downside was the stability/feeling of the steering (compared to other German brand cars). But I believe this was fixed in a recent update. Guess I'm a nerd+ now :rolleyes:

Had lunch with a good friend this and shared with I've doing a lot of research on the ms. He was surprised I was leaning toward a CPO P85. Part of my argument was I've been watching scores of videos from this guy driving around Norway winters in RWD. Got a text from him this morning that he watched the 2-part North Cape road trip. Another Björn convert!

This morning I was up early & watched his 90K/1 year of ms ownership. While the infovids lack the slick production value of the road trip travelogues, what I like about Björn's YT channel is he's not just a straight up fanboy. He is not afraid to call attention to the design flaws and lack of refinement in the fit and finish. Some of the criticism is software related so we know it will likely be improved by over the update. But it's very useful in deciding which options are must haves, i.e., if a Norwegian has the sub-zero package and doesn't think it is worthwhile, I'm pretty confident I can live without it in our relatively mild winters. I think one should respect his opinion on the driving experience since he came from the 5 series. But mostly I enjoy (& evangelize) his YT channel because, as with others like KMan and Nick Howe, he evokes an everyman, good guy quality.