Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bjørn's Tesla Model S videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I have... That is one thing that scares me a bit about BEV's - that the wildlife will be even less aware of the car when driving in the dark. Not many weeks since I had to stop for a flock of 5 deers crossing the road in front of me, but the last two heard me and turned around.

These are what I was talking about http://www.amazon.com/Living-Products-LLC-0001-Save-A-Deer/dp/B003XNGLJU

My SO considered them a must when she and her now ex had motorcycles. Hitting a deer with your car is bad, hitting one with a motorcycle is usually fatal for you.

What I think would be cool is if Tesla had infrared sensors in autopilot 2 and the software alerted the driver if it sensed a warm blooded animal or person approaching the road at night. It wouldn't help under all conditions, in Florida you can get alligators on the road in some places, but most of the living hazards on the road are warm blooded.

Thanks for the info :) I don't think it was a Model S. If it was then I would have commented it.

I must have Model S on the brain. :)

These are what I was talking about Amazon.com: Save-A-Deer Whistle: Automotive

My SO considered them a must when she and her now ex had motorcycles. Hitting a deer with your car is bad, hitting one with a motorcycle is usually fatal for you.

What I think would be cool is if Tesla had infrared sensors in autopilot 2 and the software alerted the driver if it sensed a warm blooded animal or person approaching the road at night. It wouldn't help under all conditions, in Florida you can get alligators on the road in some places, but most of the living hazards on the road are warm blooded.

I must have Model S on the brain. :)

Some modern Automotive Radar is rated to detect pedestrians at 60m/200ft.

Deer should have a similar radar cross section, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable for Tesla to update the cars to brake or steer away from deer encounters, if they haven't already.

ICE cars don't make much more noise when settled at cruising speed anyway - for both cars tire noise is the biggest factor.

Some modern Automotive Radar is rated to detect pedestrians at 60m/200ft.

Deer should have a similar radar cross section, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable for Tesla to update the cars to brake or steer away from deer encounters, if they haven't already.

Yes, but as it is today on Model S it will not break until a hit is unavoidable - if I have understood it correctly. It helps to make it less grave, but I want to avoid hitting the deer (or pedestrian). If I can warn them about that "something" is coming on the road so they stay clear it will be the best. If the car can warn me before it is unavoidable (infrared sensors as wdolson mentioned) it's the second best.

ICE cars don't make much more noise when settled at cruising speed anyway - for both cars tire noise is the biggest factor.

I know, and I try to reassure myself of that, but it is already a problem with fossil cars, so being a BEV does not exactly help in this scenario. ;)
So a few whistlers is already ordered :cool: (Not the one linked to, as they did not send to Norway)

And to Bjørn: Sorry for being OT, I shall now shut up :oops:

Deer hearing capabilities: How well do deer hear?

My So said those whistles have been controversial in the motorcycle world for some time. Some people swear by them and others claim they don't work. But they are cheap and better than nothing. They would probably keep smaller animals off the road. Smaller animals tend to be able to hear higher frequencies than larger ones.

Deer probably have about the same frequency range as humans because the actual hearing apparatus in the head is about the same size as in a human. Cats can hear to 60 KHz, but their hearing apparatus is much smaller than a human.

Sorry for the live stuff going on lately. I deleted the videos so it wouldn't clutter the main channel. Now I have started a new concept. When I have free time, I will live stream. Most of the streaming will be done during driving. I have created a separate YouTube channel for it:
Teslabjørn Live

If you subscribe to it, you'll get notifications every time I go live. This live thing is something extra I do when I wouldn't have anything else to do anyways. My highest priority is still making edited videos. But as many of you might have guessed, I don't make edited road trip videos during all my trips. So by adding this live stream, it will be easier for people to get in touch with me and hang out while I'm driving or slacking.

Oh, you're selling the Millennium Falcon? I had heard you were considering it if you couldn't rent it out, but I guess it finally came to that.
Actually, Tesla should be trying to obtain the Millennium Falcon so they could display it in their museum of cars. The MF is the most famous Tesla on the planet. That car has been an inspiration to many future Tesla buyers. Me included.