Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bjørn's Tesla Model S videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Germany has so many successful ICE automobile brands, maybe there is a connection? Countries that aren't tied up too much in production, like Norway, Denmark, Hong Kong, don't have much to lose - they will import all cars anyway. Would be nice if the German car makers would step up EV production, beyond the "compliance car" level.

I believe that is the reasons there are no incentives for EVs in Germany. Germany is a very interesting mix of being conservative and environmental friendly at the same time.

Cool, loved that part with the German guy who said "hey, are you Bjorn?" That must have been fun, oh yeah......
I think at that point I realized I was a world celebrity among Tesla/EV enthusiasts :) I also met Susanne who works at Tesla Store in Munich. She was thrilled to see me when I visited them unannounced.

What I'm really disappointed with is how bad the charging infrastructure is in Germany. Germany has always been a very environmental aware country and they made a conscious decision to phase out any choal, oil, gas & nuclear energy production and switch entirely to renewable energy. How can Germany be so behind on EVs? We are really spoiled here in Los Angeles and California in general. So many chargers here!
I think Germany is behind in charging infrastructure because they until now don't have any popular/usable German EVs. (When I say "usable" I mean a car that can fit more than just two people. So therefore, I don't mention Kewet/Think/Smart.) It's been mainly Leaf and iOn/iMiev/C-zero. And none of them seem to attract the Germans. Now that i3/i8, e-Up!/e-Golf and A3 e-tron is out, I bet Germans will be tempted to get them. And that should kickstart building more public chargers.

Out of all energy sources, electricity is already present in pretty much every place. Setting up chargers is so much easier than any alternative energy source.
Exactly! I have proven that it's even possible to drive to North Cape on electricity, without superchargers. Hydrogen on the other hand is not available everywhere. So a distribution infrastructure have to be made. Or hydrogen factories must be built. But there's a lot of waste in energy producing hydrogen.

Where I work, there's a hydrogen car running as a test project for SINTEF. There's a hydrogen filling station nearby. And a total of five (yes, 5!) in Norway. In comparison, in 2012, there were 3746 registered public chargers in Norway. And if we count all the red/blue plugs, Schukos and other outlets available (but not public), we're talking about hundreds of thousands of potential "filling stations".

I guess Elon Musk was right when he said hydrogen is so bs :p

Bjørn, looking forward to your video from the return trip. I know how tedious and time consuming it is to edit videos - I have a backlog myself of test drives, helicopter flight and more, that I want to edit (maybe I should spend less time here on TMC!)
I try to finish the video when I have time. But it still takes some time. I also have a big backlog of things I'm going to make videos about.

Would love to see some helicopter video around Hong Kong!!!

It wasn't actually meant for the forum, but sure, I can post a link (if I ever finish it). TMC user Vmax is the pilot, and I think he wouldn't mind me posting it. For a lot of people (who think HK is only skyscrapers), it would be something of an eye opener. The landscape in HK is almost binary: It's either super densely built up with minute apartments/houses, or totally empty of any housing. There are many areas of Hong Kong which are more or less inaccessible, due to vegetation and mountains.

Bravo! Well done! Amazing what you have to put up with to find a charge. Too many adapters, cables, boxes, etc, and not enough charging capacity. I can see how your anxiety would go up the further away from a supercharger you drove.
Next year's video will be quite boring though. "I'm at yet another supercharger. Aaaaand, it's working. Oh, yeah." :)

It's videos like these that show how far the world still has to go to make it easy to get around with an electric vehicle, especially on long distance trips. Sure, things are improving, but this video shows things as they really are. And it's no different even in SuperCharger-dense California if you go off the beaten path -- you wind up spending most of your time fretting about range and locations of chargers and whether it's gonna be another experience of broken Blinks and unfindable ChargePoints and mean/unfriendly RV camps or something more positive.

The bottom line is, it is still sooooooo early. It's a miracle Tesla's sold as many cars as it has, considering the hassles outside of major cities (and the hassles even IN major cities -- Paris!? WTF?).

Loved the video, and I hope we can all look back at it in 12-24 months and go, ha, look at what life was like before ubiquitous SuperChargers and other chargers. We need standardization, better documentation, better user interface design and human factors.

The Model S nav system should know every blasted charger there is on earth. It's insane what you had to go through in France and Germany. The videos give the impression the majority of your trip was hunting for chargers. I hope this problem goes away fast, in US and Europe and everywhere.

I hope 22 kW and SCs will be more common in the years to come. Just take Norway as an example. There is 1600 gas stations in Norway. And last year it was only 6 SCs there. Now we have 11 SCs. Imagine if Norway alone had 1600 SCs. It would be heaven and nobody would talk about range anxiety.

I watched part 2 today. Really nice video's!
I visited both Paris and Luxembourg with the Model S last year. Had charging problems in both cities, even after careful planning. Good to see the supercharging network is growing rapidly. Roadtrip to Berlin is next in a couple of weeks, but i can even skip some superchargers in Germany as there are so many!
Keep up the good work!

It's good to see that only we didn't have problems finding chargers. Hopefully the municipalities will adress the problem and build more chargers. But it seems like unless people start bying EVs and there's a need for chargers, they won't build any. And if there's no charger, then people won't buy EVs.

Hopefully the municipalities will adress the problem and build more chargers. But it seems like unless people start bying EVs and there's a need for chargers, they won't build any. And if there's no charger, then people won't buy EVs.

It really is a bit of a chicken/egg problem. Unlike gasoline cars where you always buy your gas from a station, EV owners will do the vast majority of their charging at home. This makes any kind of a business case for public charging difficult, because home charging will remain prevalent even if we reach 100% EV penetration. It will never be a money maker like gas stations are. When organizations do step up and install chargers, they're generally not as "visible" to drivers like the corner gas station is, so even prospective EV buyers I talk to are not aware of what's already out there.

The change may come when many car makers put out some reasonably priced well engineered EVs that go about 120 miles on a charge.
If gas stations can inexpensively install a few chargers and have you swipe your credit card for power it will be a brand new world.
Stations make money on snacks and beverages not so much gasoline and diesel anyway. As soon as there is more demand there will be the motivation.