Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bjorn nyland's test of tesla vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new June 2022 Model 3 is vision only, I've not had reason to drive in the dark along a motorways yet. If I was driving I wouldn't normally use high beam at all on a motorway like that, there really is no need.

What I have found is that is also forces the wipers on to Auto, which would be fine if the AutoWipers didn't keep wiping when there is no reason sometimes. I've had to turn off AutoPilot and drive like in the '80s.

Given how long vision has been out in the US how come these things aren't more of a thing ? Do auto wipers and auto high-beam work better there than in Europe?

Reactions: pilotSteve
My new June 2022 Model 3 is vision only, I've not had reason to drive in the dark along a motorways yet. If I was driving I wouldn't normally use high beam at all on a motorway like that, there really is no need.

What I have found is that is also forces the wipers on to Auto, which would be fine if the AutoWipers didn't keep wiping when there is no reason sometimes. I've had to turn off AutoPilot and drive like in the '80s.

Given how long vision has been out in the US how come these things aren't more of a thing ? Do auto wipers and auto high-beam work better there than in Europe?
As Tesla uses vision for the auto-wipers, make sure the windscreen is clean and doesn’t have any dried rain marks on it. I have found whenever the wipers dry wipe it’s because there’s water marks on the windscreen. Giving the windscreen a clean with the washers has solved this issue for me, every time. YMMV.

Whatever. I’m just pointing out that Tesla’s software, despite its issues, is still the best on any car. VW’s is amongst the worst.
That video and the comments from other owners suggests otherwise.

Also Audi (which is part of the VW group) are the leaders when it comes to headlight technology so to suggest they’re the worst is somewhat laughable

That video and the comments from other owners suggests otherwise.

Also Audi (which is part of the VW group) are the leaders when it comes to headlight technology so to suggest they’re the worst is somewhat laughable
I’m not talking about headlights. I’m talking about the infotainment system, the UI, the ÔTA updates, the battery management, …. The headlights on my wife’s ID3 are superb - way better than on the Model 3.

Reactions: M109Rider
I’m not talking about headlights. I’m talking about the infotainment system, the UI, the ÔTA updates, the battery management, …. The headlights on my wife’s ID3 are superb - way better than on the Model 3.
And that is relevant to this topic how exactly? Our 2015 BMW weekend runaround is much better when it comes to auto wipers and lights compared to Tesla.

Fundamentally the issues in the Bjorn video could form a safety issue by blinding oncoming drivers.

Last edited:
Wipers and headlights are pretty integral to driving. I find it conspicuous how poor they are, in relation to other cars I've driven at half the price.

The overall UX slickness is much better on a Tesla, akin in my mind to the period when Apple first launched the iPhone while everyone else was still peddling knackered old WAP technology. The problem Tesla has, however, is that whilst it will take behemoths like VW, etc longer than it really should to get up to speed, once they crack the UI/UX side of things there will only really be the battery/motor efficiency and whatever remains of the aspirational value of the brand keeping people in Teslas. The other brands do everything else so much better.

On a day to day basis I find myself more and more annoyed by either the complete lack of driver convenience features, or where they exist - how poorly they perform. There is no reason for a car built nowadays to be so hopeless in these basic areas.

It's staggering how we're supposed to accept that Tesla are the frontrunner in autonomous technology, and are going to be coming along with Robotaxis and what-not, when the car can't even "see" distant rear lights, or oncoming cars to turn off main beam, instead turning them off prematurely when faced with reflections from road signs. It's laughably bad.

ok... but no.
- Infotainment - maybe reasonable/good. But Android auto/Apple car play? Others do have all. the way media controls work/act sometimes is useless
- UI - would be good, if they did not change it with every update (for whatever reason) and if their implementations were reasonable (the blind spot feed placement is useless, etc.
- OTA updates - more or less all manufacturers do that, expecially at ~50k+ price range. it's industry standard. bmw 3 series were doing it 3 years ago as well.
- Battery management - yes.
- all wipers and lights management - is laughable. ffs, 65 reg ford mondeo had it better. and that car cost like half the tesla price, and it's ford.

I
ok... but no.
- Infotainment - maybe reasonable/good. But Android auto/Apple car play? Others do have all. the way media controls work/act sometimes is useless
- UI - would be good, if they did not change it with every update (for whatever reason) and if their implementations were reasonable (the blind spot feed placement is useless, etc.
- OTA updates - more or less all manufacturers do that, expecially at ~50k+ price range. it's industry standard. bmw 3 series were doing it 3 years ago as well.
- all wipers and lights management - is laughable. ffs, 65 reg ford mondeo had it better. and that car cost like half the tesla price, and it's ford.
I agree with the rest but I think Teslas OTA updates are probably well ahead of most others still. Few even their software integrated enough to be able to update as much of it as Tesla let alone such a slick update process. Now if they could just be bothered to test it first before releasing it the system would be amazing...

ok... but no.
The OTA updates I would be suspicious about - I saw little improvement on my X5 over the 4 years I had it - in the end I think they changed OTA to in service only (I had the connected drive subscriptions )

It’s my only hope with Tesla is to really break this mindset of the big company’s - I think German quality isn’t an argument with my MiC, but the tepid response to issues, unless Musk happens to see and agree then little gets major fixes.