Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bjorn nyland's test of tesla vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gangzoom presumably does already because it's twice as safe as average. Who are we to argue with stats like that?
Unless we are told the protocols we are definitely able to argue with the statistics!
Chuck Cook's series of YouTube videos shows one side of the ledger.
As I point out there's no such thing at the moment as a test of Tesla beta: it's a test of Tesla beta PLUS driver, which is a HUGE difference.
Unless we are told the parameters used for building the statistics no-one out side Tesla has any idea what the safety rating in the present beta tests is.

>>What you can say for Tesla is that unlike other manufacturers they let owners use these autonomous features, however buggy or imcomplete they might be, wherever they want, which is in my opinion both a blessing and a curse.<<

That's a product of their idea that Tesla is a software company which just happens, on the side, to make cars.
When Joe Public buys in large numbers instead of the FanBoys they will probably want the opposite.

The lack of FSD beta development in Europe isn't really down to Tesla sadly. EU regulators I fear will never allow its development, as the views like below are very entrenched here. Perfection the is enemy of progress, not a term many in Europe are comfortable with.
And in any case, these regs and restrictions have nothing to do with the EU - it’s UNECE. A body that the UK is very much a part of.

Reactions: goRt
The lack of FSD beta development in Europe isn't really down to Tesla
Without 1st hand insight to exactly what discussions are going on, it's impossible to comment on who is stopping / delaying who.

However, as per this thread, when there is so little if any sensible, consistent product evolution / improvement (tested, documented updates, universal application of new <working> features to all capable vehicles, honesty regarding radar / phantom braking, minimal regression with updates etc etc) it is hard to argue that Tesla is smoothly cracking on along the road to an FSD product that is likely to be acceptable in the UK. It feels more like the car's don't have adequate sensor suites even by Tesla's reckoning with no clear message stating how shortcomings will be addressed such that regulatory concerns are definitely not the issue stopping progress.

Regulators for UK surely have more than enough grounds to question the status of FSD and the whole development process given the path so far. Not helped by the spectre of an engineering team that does what takes its fancy. (Ref. Elon's tweets mentioned above)

The biggest concern for me is the apparent lack of attention to different markets. Ok, UK being RHD does put us in a minority, but if you sell in a market you should fully support that market. In any case, having driven my car in LHD countries, it wasn't significantly different and actually exhibited different anomalies on French autoroutes compared with UK motorways that suggested to me how the lane control design was very specific to US road conventions.

Tesla does not do itself any favours in the way it supports UK owners. Having lived for some time in SoCal I can clearly see for example why humidity in B Pillar cams and lights would not seem to be much if an issue, but here it most certainly is. A/C also performs well below other EVs I've owned relating to cabin humidity.

I'd agree with the statement that it is hard for Tesla to develop if they can't get testing in Europe. But look at FSD Beta progress and it doesn't give confidence that it is ready for Europe/ UK when the US development process is struggling. It really feels like Tesla is hiding behind the regulatory acceptance issue, rather than embracing its UK FSD owner base to garner support by showing its commitment and ability.

Even the claim that FSD cars are at least 'FSD capable' needs supporting evidence which so far I haven't seen.

I suppose Tesla's (attempted) move to VO could be another case of them trying to dodge any possible (very costly) obligation to upgrade hardware (again), in this case, radar, without which the car is arguably not FSD capable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wol747
I would not be surprised to find that cars like mine built with radar and cameras will never achieve true FSD. I doubt they will get close.
The cameras aren’t good enough for. Is ion only and those on the front wing are too far back to cope with many situation in the U.K. I can only presume that the designers saw them as backup to radar.
I don’t know what’s going on in the software but I remember a time when the the visualisation (for what it’s worth) saw every car, bicycle and pedestrian. Now it doesn’t. But, it does see every cone and wheelie bin.
2023 is going to be make or or break for FSD. I know which one my money’s on!

Reactions: Wol747 and Durzel
For sure there are huge differences in road layout, signage, driving rules/protocol etc between the US and every other country. I can’t see it being anything but a massive job to convert city streets to work in any other country than the US, even if the legislation were in place to allow it.