Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black 2013 S85 w/ 85k miles in the Seattle Area - $28k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: well the title is technically correct, but I just realized it's on the line, so should probably say 86k miles

I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible with this listing, but if anything is unclear or you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

We ordered a new Model X, and I figured before I accept the lowball trade-in I'd throw it up here and see if there was any interest. I'd rather it go to someone here looking for an entry level Tesla than back to its maker where they'll probably strip it of its' lifetime free supercharging.

Here's the original window sheet that will lay out the features it came with.
sslbs3w.png

Here's the car, freshly washed.
kY4D9y5.jpg

YJcXNGH.jpg

More pictures, including interior pictures, can be found in this imgur album: Imgur

Details:
Why are you selling it?
Ordered a Model X, don't need both.​
Milage?
85,944mi (will go up as I still drive it)​
How many owners?
2, but Carfax thinks I'm the third and the dealer I bought it from is the 2nd. They bought it at auction. I bought it in April 2018.​
Battery degradation?
The car new would do 265mi@100%. 228mi @ 90%. That would put it at 250mi for 100%, but I'll say the last time I took it to 100% I saw 255. (Only for road trips)​
Warranty?
Battery and drive unit until (I think) March 2021​
Autopilot?
No, it's a 2013. An early 2013, I'll add, so features in line with a 2012. No autopilot, no parking sensors, no heated seats, etc. It does have the tech package, including the motorized rear liftgate.​
Supercharging?
Free, unlimited.​
Tires?
Replaced 2,500mi ago, end of June. Michelin Primacy MXM4s. Got them from Costco, so they're filled with nitrogen. Not sure if it makes a difference, but they made a big deal about it so I figured you should know.​
Service?
A few days after we bought it the drive unit failed. This was replaced under warranty and the new one has had zero issues since.

I took it in for its 6th annual service in April of this year. At the same time they put in new liftgate drain plugs to prevent leaks and replaced the steering rack bolts. Both of those were recall items. I also had them replace the driver side tail light cluster. It looked like every other LED was out, so it appeared dimmer than the other. They put a brand new one in. I'll give PDFs of my service records to any buyer.​
Anything else?
I love this car. Last year around this time we drove it from the Seattle area down to the redwoods in northern California. It was an incredible trip, around 1200mi. Hit lava beds and crater lake on the way back.

There is some curb rash on the rims, and there's some sap residue on the passenger door frame. Mentioning for completeness, I haven't taken it to a detailer to try and get it off. I feel that these cosmetic issues do matter, and so they are reflected in the price. That said, this car is almost 7 years old now, so while I think it looks good inside and out, it's not fresh off the line.

Buyer must be willing to handle the transaction in person somewhere in the Seattle area.​

PM sent. Sorry about the duplicate questions. I guess I should have read the 1st post better. Also, my friend would like to contact you directly.

PM sent. Sorry about the duplicate questions. I guess I should have read the 1st post better. Also, my friend would like to contact you directly.

PM answered. I'll post my answers here for others as well.

1) Original owner?
No. Carfax lists me as owner #3, but I'm really number 2. I bought it from Paramount Motors NW, and they bought it at auction.

2) MCU issues or yellow edges on screen?
No yellow edges. MCU has been great but all the issues everyone has been reporting has me paranoid. It seems like the pre-AP cars have fewer issues since the firmware images are smaller and don't take up as much storage space. That said, it seems like this going to affect all MCU1 cars at some point. On the latest software update when the screen popped up to ask me to schedule a time it was unresponsive and I had to reboot. That was the first time I had to reboot it in recent memory and the update installed just fine with no further issues since. If I was keeping the car I would take it to one of those people that do the $500 preventative emmc replacement. I don't think there is any worry about it yet, and I don't get the feeling it will sneak up on you. People in that thread have been reporting that there were consistent screen glitches for months or even a year before the MCU died.

3) Shudder or shimmy during accelerating?
Its the only Tesla we have so I can't do an a/b comparison, but certainly nothing notable on its own. We will put this to the test during a test drive. I'm very curious how you'll find the acceleration compared to your 70D.

4) Previous accidents/crashes/damages?
No, clean Carfax when I bought it, nothing since. I'd be happy to pay for a new Carfax if your friend was ready to make an offer.

5) Water leakage?
Tesla did the recall service and put in new liftgate drain plugs. Is that what you're referring to?

6) Lead acid battery problems or replacement?
I've never replaced it or seen any warnings. I work from home so this is pretty much a weekend/road trip car for us.

7) Door handle problems or replacement?
No issues

8) Additional problems with new driver unit?
Funny thing, the drive unit failed on my test drive. They replaced it under warranty the next day, and that's when I bought it. That replacement was a dud apparently because it failed a few days after I bought it. Tesla said the housing wasn't sealed and water got in. Replaced again and no issues in the 11k+ miles since.

9) Meet location for test drive. Issaquah? Lynnwood?
Your choice, I'm in Federal Way but I'll drive wherever. If your friend buys (not necessarily at the test drive of course) I might ask for a ride home!

10) Supercharger speed? Throttled?
I don't supercharger much so I can't tell if it's the car, the station, or the weather. I've seen 120kw and I've seen 40kw. On my trip most recently to and from Leavenworth it went up to 72, then settled around 50. It was pretty cold, though.

11) Battery capacity?
90% charge is 226-228 depending on the day. Last time I took it to 100% it was 253, but that was in the summer.

12) Software version?
The latest. 2019.36.2.7

Hey there,

I'm interested. Created an account here since I'm actively trying to find a Model S. I'm just debating on if I want to spring the extra money for the performance model.

How would you say the performance is? I'm coming from a Jeep SRT so I'm used to going quick and would prefer to get into something that feels at least a bit quick.

I've read that there were some issues with the rear-wheel-driven model s as far as traction is concerned. Have you ever noticed this? Is it hard to keep on the road? Or no problems?

Thank you.

Hey there,

I'm interested. Created an account here since I'm actively trying to find a Model S. I'm just debating on if I want to spring the extra money for the performance model.

How would you say the performance is? I'm coming from a Jeep SRT so I'm used to going quick and would prefer to get into something that feels at least a bit quick.

I've read that there were some issues with the rear-wheel-driven model s as far as traction is concerned. Have you ever noticed this? Is it hard to keep on the road? Or no problems?

Thank you.

If you're used to driving a Jeep SRT V8 hemi, save up a bit more and go for the P85 Model S....you'll regret it and have buyer's remorse IMO. I recently bought a 2014 P85D on here as my first ever electric vehicle purchase, and absolutely love it. The P85 is plenty fast as well, and IMO you should get one with auto-pilot (AP 1.0 is plenty good). Now that I've been using it for almost a month, I don't see how I could ever go back to a normal car without it (first world problems I know)!

Hey there,

Thank you.
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

Check the 0-60 times and compare them to your current vehicle, that is probably the easiest way to get an idea of what it will be like. Just realize the 0-60 on these is much more accessible as you just punch it and it performs immediately!

As you can see on the specs page there is a power difference between this car and a P85, and more important the P85 has a more than 100 foot pound torque advantage. I have a P85+ and I have no issues keeping it on the road. The traction control reigns it in enough to keep it from going sideways even if you are applying high power while turning, like pulling out into moving traffic. The standard car isn't slow, but the P85 does add quite a bit of torque and is definitely traction limited all the way to 40mph with the Michelin Primacy all season tires.

If you're used to driving a Jeep SRT V8 hemi, save up a bit more and go for the P85 Model S....you'll regret it and have buyer's remorse IMO. I recently bought a 2014 P85D on here as my first ever electric vehicle purchase, and absolutely love it. The P85 is plenty fast as well, and IMO you should get one with auto-pilot (AP 1.0 is plenty good). Now that I've been using it for almost a month, I don't see how I could ever go back to a normal car without it (first world problems I know)!

Much appreciated. This is exactly what I was thinking. And I do agree on at least having the AP1. I started out looking at the 2013 models and realized nope, I want to at least have adaptive cruise control. Plus I read a lot about them having the "growing pains" and the 2014 and up models are the best to focus on unless you're willing to put a lot of money or time into it.

Thanks for the suggestion