Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Alcantara headliner now no-cost option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was playing with the configurator and noticed that the black headliner can now be ordered without going for the Premium Upgrades Package. That's great news for those who find the "white" headliner to clash with or otherwise cheapen the appearance of the interior.

Anyone with black and no sunroof? Does it make car feel smaller than white headliner?

I went with black headliner in my last 2 daily drivers.

Being that my interiors are all black, except for some trim pieces, the "ceiling" blends into the car and sort of recedes, effectively raising the roof visually.

If you have anything other than black in your interior, you might not see the same effect.

A change in roof color after placing an original order will incur the $500 change fee according the below message from my DS. I ordered preface lift and did not like the base piano black, but had to pay $750 for matte OB which negated 1/2 of the post face price increase. When the facelift occured a week later the new base trim was dark ash which I liked better than piano black but was not able to change with out incurring the $500 change fee.

Now I wonder if I pay the $500 change fee to get black roof instead of white will they allow me the change to the dark ash and refund my $750; $250 net gain for me getting exactly the configuration I want?

"Hello Kevin,

I hope you are well.

Because your Model S is not scheduled to enter production until late August, you are able to change the head liner of your Model S. It is a $500 configuration change fee once an order locks. If you would like to call me to provide me with your credit card information, I will collect it an make the requested change to your Tesla. With the $500 change you will be able to make any other change to your Model S if you would like."

Last edited:
I have the black alcantara and no sunroof.. love it... way cooler in the summer.. way warmer in the winter.. and it goes great with the black next gen.. and matte obeche... joe
I'm about 48 hours from confirming my order of midnight silver metallic with black alcantara headliner, black next gen, and body color roof. Live in AZ and really don't want the pano. However, I am concerned that without it, the black on black interior might feel too enclosed. Do you have any photos of your interior available? TIA!

hey.... it's black.. at night you can't tell... during the day.. I keep my eyes on the road... I'll see if I can get you a photo or two for sure... but really.. the only time I even really look at it is when I recline the seat to wait @ a supercharger... and sometimes I nod off.. and don't even look at it much then either... I'm not a fan of the white or light headliners... never was... but all the other vehciles I've ever had sunroofs in... 97% of the time.. those roofs were closed.. and so was the sunshade... Tesla doesn't give you the ioption to "close" the sunshade.. you have to buy screens.. and play with them in and out.. they don't recommend you open the roof with them in place.. but some folks do... seems like more of a PITA than it's worth... I only like the sun on me while at the pool... or hiking in the woods under the trees... that's more than enough for me....

• Informative
Reactions: Rahul
outside ..with the solid roof.....if you like the color of your car.. you get more of that color...

in the background you see 3 Acura's. all with sunroofs... and they all hardly ever get opened... only when I vent the car on a hot day... (this operation can not be avoided with the auto window down feature)

then I have to immediately close the roof and the shade.... Acura forces you to take a sunroof with their package groupings.. it's hard to avoid at any premium level...

On the upside.. at least I can avoid this added expense , inconvenience and weight with the Tesla...

Attachments

• 20160708_194352.jpg
    20160708_194352.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 20160708_194341.jpg
    20160708_194341.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I'm about 48 hours from confirming my order of midnight silver metallic with black alcantara headliner, black next gen, and body color roof. Live in AZ and really don't want the pano. However, I am concerned that without it, the black on black interior might feel too enclosed. Do you have any photos of your interior available? TIA!

Inside... I like black on black... it's not dark , dark black.. sorta more like a grey charcoal...

Attachments

• 20160708_194702.jpg
    20160708_194702.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20160708_194800.jpg
    20160708_194800.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Rahul
We went with the black interior roof liner and it is not something that I notice when driving however I do notice the roof pillars which I prefer in black. The visibility of the road ahead is enhanced with black surrounding the windshield and side windows.

Small point but we are glad that we upgraded.

Reactions: Joeski1
We went with the black interior roof liner and it is not something that I notice when driving however I do notice the roof pillars which I prefer in black. The visibility of the road ahead is enhanced with black surrounding the windshield and side windows.

Small point but we are glad that we upgraded.

good and valid point...the dark pillars are a lot less noticeable .. and they are in the line of sight while driving...

small stuff can either make ya or break ya....

• Love
Reactions: Reekdog