Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black bar/Green bar/dashed bar???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I get the bar under the speedometer. Black to the right means you are using energy, green to the left means you are regenerating energy...but I just noticed that to the left of the green is a dashed line that seems to change size depending on _________...

Anyone decode what the dashed line means yet?

Limited Regen. Happens when the battery is cold or at a high State of Charge (>93% maybe?). Sometimes you can get a dashed line on the right side for limited power.
Ahh, interesting. Wasn’t necessarily either of those cases, but I was coming down a mountain road 10% steepness when I noticed it, so that would make sense that it has something to do with regen...thanks!

Wasn’t necessarily either of those cases, but I was coming down a mountain road 10% steepness when I noticed it, so that would make sense that it has something to do with regen...thanks!

Yep, even with a warm battery at something like 60-70% charge, if you go down a mountain road for long enough you'll start to see "regen dots" appear - and you may even get a limited regen warning. It's just protecting the battery from excessive charging - it can only take so much for so long apparently (it's related to more than simply temperature and state of charge, though those are huge factors).

Usually it's not limited enough to be a problem, but it obviously does depend on the grade and your desired speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidu406
Mine was because of an extended trip (to Palm Springs). Traffic was horrific the whole way so speeds never got 50 (mostly much less) until about Banning (where several of attempted to balance it out by doing 80-100 for a while).

I had expected to be able to be doing more full speed which would have been more of a battery drain.