TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Black Beauty, damaged.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by seclinton, Nov 16, 2016.

1. seclinton

seclinton Member

I've shared this extensively on FB Motherfrunkers and might as well go here to tell my quick story:
    2013 P85
    IMG_0233.JPG
    Monday 11/14/16 @8:00AM, I was hit from behind at low speed at a stop light. Enjoy the dashcam vid, rear camera off; see the damage from getting pushing into the back of a Chevy traverse.

First I am ok, second, this is our long distance car and a major inconvenience.

Initial estimate came in today at $16.8k; and SF Ins will be out tomorrow to confirm estimate. Of course we expect a revised number up, and still maybe approach being totaled, not sure.

2. seclinton

seclinton Member

IMG_0225.JPG
    Dented rear too! Ohh the anger in me! Just a car. Just a car. Just a car.

3. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

So sorry this happened to you and your beautiful car!

• Like x 1
  4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

My biggest fear. Hard enough to keep the car nice with your own driving but we are all at the mercy of our fellow citizens who unfortunately are often doing something other than paying attention.

Glad you are OK and hopefully it will be totaled.

• Like x 1
  5. seclinton

seclinton Member

The driver said he "sneezed"

I'm hoping for fix. I don't want to out of pocket to replace my own car with the same.

6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I'm glad you're okay and have good perspective on it being "just a car" but I still do feel your pain. On the bright side, if it is totaled, be glad you can get a new one while there's still free supercharging available.

Where can we see it?

7. seclinton

seclinton Member

• Informative x 1
  8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

If it is repairable, you should read this, in case you don't know about accelerated depreciation / diminished value claims.

• Informative x 1
  10. outie

outie Active Member

I am surprised to see a damage like this costs $16.8k+ and is in the range of being totaled. It's just empty spaces in the front. Can't really tell the damage in the back other than a dented license plate / bumper.

11. seclinton

seclinton Member

Exactly, about $8k in parts, $7k in labor and change in tax, its preliminary and will go up once the lift gate and covers/fenders come off

We'll see what insurance says

• Disagree x 1
  12. seclinton

seclinton Member

I've got a 4 page estimate "preliminary" mostly because it's both front and back damage. Not posting the line items unless/until all the dust settles.

Attached Files:

13. outie

outie Active Member

Thanks for that. I have no experience with Tesla and insurance claim, but does the insurance company even pay those labor rates? They have their own adjuster doing the estimates and the labor rate is dictated by their standards as I've seen many of those estimates from insurance adjusters before.

14. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I guess I shouldn't be so angry at the ding in my door by the inconsiderate AS*(^&*% i!!! I usually park away from others but the one quick store run and now every time I walk up to my car I see that ding. Angry every time I look at it!! But small potatoes to this and a worry we all have. Sorry to hear you got hit so hard. Fixing these cars can be frustrating.

15. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Insurance companies do pay these rates, because they understand that Tesla voids the car's warranty if it is not repaired at a Tesla Authorized Body Shop. They are one of the few companies that have the insurance companies by the balls.

"Paint" only damage to our grey car was $3800, and the "insurance authorized body shop" looked at the car and said "nope, it's a Tesla, we won't even write that up."

16. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Did the airbags deploy?

17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 17.32.6ca28227

Sorry for the accident. Just wondering...was there any damage to the Chevy Traverse?

18. NAVALARCHITECT

Damn OP sorry to hear!

19. seclinton

seclinton Member

No airbag deployed. Front is basically repairable, just a concern as the trunk deck didn't separate, and given everything bolts to the back body panel, if that is bent, that must be replaced as well: <$2500 addtional for the part, but the labor is somewhere north of (9 or 19 hours) i forget, so verbally the body shop thinks not more than $25K to fix.

Not much hope from State Farm, as they've fallen silent and won't give me estimators name/number. So I'm relying on the body shop to relay progress now.

Yes, the traverse had some damage, as does the Ford behind me, but it seems the creme in the center of the oreo car sandwich took the brunt of damage.

20. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

Bummer dude!:(

Maybe front and rear forcefield in 8.1;)

• Like x 1