Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black car in florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a Model S and right now I'm looking at a few preowned cars. The good news is that they have the features I want at a good price, but the bad news is that they are all black. I don't mind the black color, but I live in Florida and I'm a bit concerned about the extra solar heat both in terms of comfort getting into the car after it's been sitting in a parking lot for few hours as well as the longevity of the interior materials.

Is this something I should be concerned about or is it not a problem?

Buy a sunshade if you want. With cabin overheat on the car will never get hotter than 105 degrees so you don't have to worry about anything melting. And you can turn on the AC from your phone whenever you want.

black looks really nice but imo it shows everything which i dont like.

Reactions: JPUConn
I've owned a black S in S. Florida for over 4 years. My interior looks brand new. The only issue with the black color is that while it looks awesome when clean, it shows dirt more than any other color.

The extra heat is a non-issue.

In CA with a black X (white S) and without pre-cooling, it's only slightly warmer. But, when I forget to pre-cool the S, rolling back the pano releases most of the stuffy heat quickly. Can't do that with the X.....forget to pre-cool and I'm bacon.

After 15 years in AZ and 6 years in FL, there is no way I would buy a dark exterior and interior car, just no way.

No offense to all black cars, this is just my personal opinion, which, I'm sure could be vastly different from person to person. Black color is good to hide "size" which is the opposite of what I want, and shows all the dirt and dust in addition to all scratches and swirls (car wash). The same for the interior. Heat-wise, it takes dark car significantly longer to bring the cabin to bearable temperature, let alone danger of cooking fried eggs every time you get in the car, if you know what I mean.

Pre-cooling and overheat protection is a great option but I'd like to eliminate the issue instead of mitigating it on a daily basis.

Of course, it goes without saying: YMMV

I've owned a black S in S. Florida for over 4 years. My interior looks brand new. The only issue with the black color is that while it looks awesome when clean, it shows dirt more than any other color.

The extra heat is a non-issue.

Agreed. After 4 years and 90,000 miles the textile seats in our Model S still look and feel new.
And placing a sun screen in the windshield when parking during the day is simply a good habit for any Florida driver.