Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Center Caps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the matte black TST wheels. I don't want to use the T Sportline center caps, but I'm not sure the grey Tesla caps will look right with the wheels. Does anyone know if there is someplace I can get matte black Tesla center caps. I know I can "wrap" them. But I would really rather have some that are painted. Thanks in advance.

I have the same question - haven't been able to find black center caps. Did you find a solution?

I ended up buying the black center caps that Tesla sells for the Model X. Unfortunately the whole cap is black, instead of having a silver T in the middle. Also, even though T Sportline claims your Tesla caps will fit their wheels that’s not quite the case. All Tesla center caps are 58 mm, and the T Sportline caps are 57 mm. If you try to get the Tesla caps to go in the metal part of the cap will most likely roll up on one side instead of going in.

There is a solution to that, though. I took a small screwdriver, and pried the tabs up on the back of the cap. Then I removed the metal cover. Once removed, I took a razor knife and carefully (don’t cut yourself) trimmed the little nibs around the outside of the plastic cap base. Then I put the metal cap back on, and bent the tabs back in place. Not finished yet, though. Then I took the reassembled cap and pressed the side of it against a wooden drawer, turning the cap a small amount after each push. This “shrunk” the diameter of the cap enough to get it to go into the T Sportline wheels without rolling. I had to go around the cap a couple of times to get it small enough.

Attached is a pic of my wheels with the Tesla center caps installed. Note that the shade of black is an almost perfect match, even though it doesn’t look like it in this picture. The other two pics I threw in because my car is just so damn pretty...

Attachments

• AA7529A2-E009-4851-A4AB-1C28F703747E.jpeg
    AA7529A2-E009-4851-A4AB-1C28F703747E.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 1,833
  • DDB02D5A-A2F6-49FA-BAE1-E7E02885A386.jpeg
    DDB02D5A-A2F6-49FA-BAE1-E7E02885A386.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 1,397
  • B121369D-884C-498A-BCE5-18A0789D835C.jpeg
    B121369D-884C-498A-BCE5-18A0789D835C.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 1,356
Last edited:
I ended up buying the black center caps that Tesla sells for the Model X. Unfortunately the whole cap is black, instead of having a silver T in the middle. Also, even though T Sportline claims your Tesla caps will fit their wheels that’s not quite the case. All Tesla center caps are 58 mm, and the T Sportline caps are 57 mm. If you try to get the Tesla caps to go in the metal part of the cap will most likely roll up on one side instead of going in.

There is a solution to that, though. I took a small screwdriver, and pried the tabs up on the back of the cap. Then I removed the metal cover. Once removed, I took a razor knife and carefully (don’t cut yourself) trimmed the little nibs around the outside of the plastic cap base. Then I put the metal cap back on, and bent the tabs back in place. Not finished yet, though. Then I took the reassembled cap and pressed the side of it against a wooden drawer, turning the cap a small amount after each push. This “shrunk” the diameter of the cap enough to get it to go into the T Sportline wheels without rolling. I had to go around the cap a couple of times to get it small enough.

Attached is a pic of my wheels with the Tesla center caps installed. Note that the shade of black is an almost perfect match, even though it doesn’t look like it in this picture. The other two pics I threw in because my car is just so damn pretty...

I believe someone sells T logo stickers in various colors, including chrome. I've seen people place the sticker over their center cap to change the color, and it doesn't look too bad

Can you send the link to where you purchased the black center caps? And would you happen to know if they sell lug nut caps, too?

Can you send the link to where you purchased the black center caps? And would you happen to know if they sell lug nut caps, too?

I just went to the Tesla Service Center parts department. I asked them if they had any center caps in black that I could put on my Model 3. The guys said the ones in black were designed for the X, but that all of their center caps are the same size. And yes, they have lug nut covers, too.

I just went to the Tesla Service Center parts department. I asked them if they had any center caps in black that I could put on my Model 3. The guys said the ones in black were designed for the X, but that all of their center caps are the same size. And yes, they have lug nut covers, too.

I was in my SC yesterday asking them about this. They flat out told me the only X center caps in black they sell are for the 22", and will not in any way shape or form fit a 19" wheel (I bought a set of the Tsportsline matte black 19" for a winter setup). They even told me that I could try an S cap, but that as an only X owner they couldn't sell me those anyway.

Looking around for vinyls and I can only seem to find those with a Tesla logo cutout, or those that color just the Tesla T.

I was in my SC yesterday asking them about this. They flat out told me the only X center caps in black they sell are for the 22", and will not in any way shape or form fit a 19" wheel (I bought a set of the Tsportsline matte black 19" for a winter setup). They even told me that I could try an S cap, but that as an only X owner they couldn't sell me those anyway.

Looking around for vinyls and I can only seem to find those with a Tesla logo cutout, or those that color just the Tesla T.

They told you wrong. They fit perfectly in the 18” Aeros, and they fit in the 18” T Sportline with a little manipulation: Even though T Sportline says the factory Tesla center caps will fit their wheels the fact is that T Sportline’s center caps are 57mm, and Tesla’s center caps, ALL of Tesla’s center caps are 58mm. In order to get the Tesla center caps to fit into my T Sportline wheels I had to carefully remove the metal part of the cap from the plastic backing by prying up the tabs. Then I took a razor knife, and carefully trimmed the little ridge that is on the outside edge of the plastic backing. Once I did that I replaced the metal cover, bent the tabs back in place and working against a vertical wooden surface (I used a drawer in my work bench) I pressed the edge of the metal cap into the now slightly smaller plastic backing. I had to work around the edge two or three times on each cap, and occasionally had to push the tabs back down a little. Finished product below.

I had absolutely no problem buying the black caps, and yes the caps are for the larger MX wheels. In fact, the parts guy at my service center told me that at the time, but then said, “But all of the center caps are the same size, so it will fit your 18” wheels.” If the parts department at your service center won’t do it I would suggest having a conversation with the GM of the service center.

1BFDB1E6-4943-4198-9DD4-612A32B54848.jpeg
C18A2013-DC55-46B7-9A35-5040D1893118.jpeg

I can second what rdlink says, as I did the same thing. The Model X has an option for 22" turbine style wheels (the "black onyx" version), with an all black center cap.

I saw these wheels in the show room (Littleton, CO for me) when I picked up my Model 3. I just went to the service center and bought four of the center caps for $15 each. They also had the black plastic lug nut covers.

I added them to the 19" wheels I purchased from EV Wheels Direct. These are the "onyx" colored wheels, and perfectly match the Tesla center cap. They fit exactly like the gray colored Tesla set I purchased for my stock Aero wheels, and exactly like the center caps that came from EV Wheels Direct (these have a silver "EV" on them, and actually look really nice).

upload_2018-11-4_8-31-35.png

Reactions: shellderp
They told you wrong. They fit perfectly in the 18” Aeros, and they fit in the 18” T Sportline with a little manipulation: Even though T Sportline says the factory Tesla center caps will fit their wheels the fact is that T Sportline’s center caps are 57mm, and Tesla’s center caps, ALL of Tesla’s center caps are 58mm. In order to get the Tesla center caps to fit into my T Sportline wheels I had to carefully remove the metal part of the cap from the plastic backing by prying up the tabs. Then I took a razor knife, and carefully trimmed the little ridge that is on the outside edge of the plastic backing. Once I did that I replaced the metal cover, bent the tabs back in place and working against a vertical wooden surface (I used a drawer in my work bench) I pressed the edge of the metal cap into the now slightly smaller plastic backing. I had to work around the edge two or three times on each cap, and occasionally had to push the tabs back down a little. Finished product below.

I had absolutely no problem buying the black caps, and yes the caps are for the larger MX wheels. In fact, the parts guy at my service center told me that at the time, but then said, “But all of the center caps are the same size, so it will fit your 18” wheels.” If the parts department at your service center won’t do it I would suggest having a conversation with the GM of the service center.

View attachment 349536 View attachment 349537

Those looks nice. Can I ask, how was experience with EV Direct? I understand they're in China hence no phone number to all. Sent them a message and still waiting for a reply. Are you happy with these wheels. Looking at getting black 20's. Wondering how long it takes for order to arrival of them?

Those looks nice. Can I ask, how was experience with EV Direct? I understand they're in China hence no phone number to all. Sent them a message and still waiting for a reply. Are you happy with these wheels. Looking at getting black 20's. Wondering how long it takes for order to arrival of them?

My wheels didn't come from EV Direct. They're T Sportline. I went with T Sportline because their wheels are lighter. I wanted something that was comparable in weight to the OE Aero wheels. These are actually about a half pound lighter than the Aeros without caps, and a couple of pounds lighter than the Aeros with caps.

I also recently had my chrome delete done, including some nice red T insignias on the center caps.

fullsizeoutput_172f.jpeg

My wheels didn't come from EV Direct. They're T Sportline. I went with T Sportline because their wheels are lighter. I wanted something that was comparable in weight to the OE Aero wheels. These are actually about a half pound lighter than the Aeros without caps, and a couple of pounds lighter than the Aeros with caps.

I also recently had my chrome delete done, including some nice red T insignias on the center caps.

View attachment 357448

Thanks for the reply. Are those 19's? Are Tsportsline's are lighter just for 19's? For the 20's, on their website they have a wheel on a scale measuring 31.8lbs. On EV Wheels Direct, the 20's are 31.2 lbs.

Wow they look great! I'm hearing mixed info on the hit on range. I thought losing the Aero caps would cause a pretty big hit. How has your range difference been? Still deciding on either 19's or 20's.

Thanks. TBH I'm really not sure on range, as I haven't done a road trip with the car yet, and I only have ~2000 miles on it. Plus, we're moving into winter here in CO, and that means all range measurements are out the window until it starts to warm up in the spring. Between Sept., when I got the car and now I have been getting around ~250-260 Wh/m. I've yet to charge the car to 100%.

View attachment 357448

What a beautiful look! May I ask how you got the red T insignias on the center caps?

Also, I just called my SC to order the black Model X center caps for my Model 3, and they told me that their system won't allow them to place the order because they need a VIN and it needs to match up with the model of car. Essentially only Model X owners can order Model X parts etc. His suggestion for me is to ask a Model X owner to place the order.