Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black exterior rubber molding with cracks and chunks missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went with wash XP100D 2018 today and noticed the molding in top rear doors was cracking and chunks missing. Any suggestions or ideas to repair? Anything Tesla has to repair or replace this?

10A0F393-B707-4A3C-8C74-EB4BA2AA1FF6.jpeg 8BAB2B37-8808-48B8-B302-077F536C45DE.jpeg

It's total Bullshit. I worked on the materials team at Tesla for a few months and they admitted the material choice was poor to me verbally at the palo Alto HQ.

Accidentally broke driver side falcon wing top glass last week while opening garage. yeah my fault, door was open all the way when we know it shouldn't have been and i had my son open the garage door and the emergency release track metal part fit just under the glass and pryed it up and cracked it in several locations. Ohh well, new glass $1200.

So I bring in Signature #725 Model X today, it's at Sunnyvale Service Center right now. 6 recall fixes to steering and suspension, EMMC upgrade, center glass spline roof check and replace, and then i pointed out the other falcon wing's shitty trim.

Nope not covered under warranty, but i do support a class action that Tesla knows this fugly cosmetic defect but refuses to offer a reasonably priced fix. Its the same problem on the Model S fixed sunroof glass. I had that replaced on my S 6 months ago for $700 and it's ripped and torn from the sunroof track already.

Early adopter issues, the cars still look great minus this crap, and drive like a fun day every single time.

It's Ok find me on LinkedIn, Sean Clinton

Pretty common, try to see if service will good will it, might need to visit a few service centers before you find one that will do it. My 2018 Performance did that , it was washed weekly with Adams PH neutral soap (service idiot told me it was the soap i used) , in less than a year its was tacky and starting to crack. My 2020 LR+ seemed to do much better and is still ok, both parked outside and washed weekly the same way

It's total Bullshit. I worked on the materials team at Tesla for a few months and they admitted the material choice was poor to me verbally at the palo Alto HQ.

Accidentally broke driver side falcon wing top glass last week while opening garage. yeah my fault, door was open all the way when we know it shouldn't have been and i had my son open the garage door and the emergency release track metal part fit just under the glass and pryed it up and cracked it in several locations. Ohh well, new glass $1200.

So I bring in Signature #725 Model X today, it's at Sunnyvale Service Center right now. 6 recall fixes to steering and suspension, EMMC upgrade, center glass spline roof check and replace, and then i pointed out the other falcon wing's shitty trim.

Nope not covered under warranty, but i do support a class action that Tesla knows this fugly cosmetic defect but refuses to offer a reasonably priced fix. Its the same problem on the Model S fixed sunroof glass. I had that replaced on my S 6 months ago for $700 and it's ripped and torn from the sunroof track already.

Early adopter issues, the cars still look great minus this crap, and drive like a fun day every single time.

@Silicon dessert; why disagree? Please tell me, and i can provide more details, I hope without violating my NDA and getting sued by Elon.

There are a few other similar threads about the FWD rubber insulation falling apart on this forum elsewhere. It is happening to my July 2018 MX, and so I went into the local Dublin Service Center (CA) yesterday with a bribe (package of chocolate truffles) to ask them about that and the possibility of changing the cabin air filter and the HEPA filter since the A/C smells when first starting. The service adviser took one look and checked my warranty on-line (I am still in the primary and purchased extension), and he told me this is covered as part of Tesla's goodwill policy. They have been replacing the upper windows and the seals frequently, and told me to make a service appointment as soon as possible. They are somewhat backlogged but I put it in for October. The filters are not covered under warranty, they are felt to be a consumable item like tires, and they can also clean out the A/C unit to get rid of smells.

It helps to be nice to your service advisor.

Mike P

Reactions: Hebert
Our 2017 has had the windows replaced 2 times under warranty for this seal issue.

The first was after about a year (no questions or issues) and then most recently about 3 months ago after an extended (6 months) back and forth and complaining and ultimately showing them text messages from their people saying the part was on order.

It is so tiresome to have an expensive vehicle (that we love) and that the service seems to be managed by high school dropouts. It is a night and day difference between Tesla Service and Lexus.

Agree, real garbage plastics at Tesla.

I'd be interested in joining a class action. I mentioned this seal issue the last time the car was in and their first question was "is this the first time you are complaining about this?". I get the feeling if I complained enough they would fix it, but it looks like its mostly cosmetic and it wasn't worth the energy. If there is a lawyer who is going to raise *sugar* instead then I'd be curious.

Reactions: chukiechz
From what I have seen posted before (there are similar postings all over the TMC web site) it depends on what service center you bring it to sometimes. You are in the SF Bay Area, have you tried driving into the Dublin Service Center and just asking them a drive-by question? tell them you are interested in getting it fixed. Mike P

Hello all. I'm in the same position, 2016 Sig X. First noticed the issue in 2019 when it would have been under warranty but did not pursue it then; now the rubber is falling off in chunks and of course I'm outside my warranty. Sure, Tesla says they will fix for >$2k, but I'm upset b/c this is clearly a manufacture's defect (how many hundreds or thousands of repairs have they done?), so I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask of the group, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you guys are willing, anyone that has had the repair, in or out of warranty, doesn't matter, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you guys know how I'm doing along the way.

The two other threads I know of on this topic:

Our 2017 has had the windows replaced 2 times under warranty for this seal issue.

The first was after about a year (no questions or issues) and then most recently about 3 months ago after an extended (6 months) back and forth and complaining and ultimately showing them text messages from their people saying the part was on order.

It is so tiresome to have an expensive vehicle (that we love) and that the service seems to be managed by high school dropouts. It is a night and day difference between Tesla Service and Lexus.
I see you got the repair done, one of 16 people off three threads on this forum I’ve ID’d so far. I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you are willing, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way. See my much longer post to all at bottom of thread.

Not much hope for class action suit. Made contact with a firm here in Montgomery, AL, they were already familiar with the issue. I guess with over 150,000 Model X’s on the road with this issue (2016-2019 total production), they have been contacted about this many times before. They say the Tesla arbitration clause is a hard-stop for any class action suit. So, I’m off to arbitration.