TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Black fingerprints on headliner-How to clean it off?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sunnysailor, Mar 26, 2013.

1. sunnysailor

sunnysailor Member

My car had a flat tire last night and I had it towed to Tesla after it was stored by the tow company overnight. I now have a black greasy set of prints near the roof lights on the tan headliner in the front seat. I assume it was from the tow guy. Does any one have any ideas on how to remove greasy fingerprints?

2. Elshout

Elshout Member

I'd use lacquer thinner that you can get in any paint store.

3. olanmills

olanmills Member

Be careful with chemicals liek that as it could dissolve the adhesive that bonds the liner to the ceiling.

4. mrbry

mrbry Member

Maybe try some bike degreaser spray on a cloth and gently try to rub it off the headliner.

5. pxy

pxy Member

Good suggestion to not over wet or use harsh solvents to prevent sagging.
    For Alcantara:
    First try to blot clean with water and a clean rag. Also recommended is mild washing detergent, or ethyl alcohol for stains that will not clear with the other 2 methods.

For fabric:
    An upholstery cleaner should work well. The fabric has a courser texture and it's more important to blot to not set the stain deeper.

6. tomp

tomp Member

Naive question - what exactly is an upholstery cleaner? The same as a fabric cleaner? Such as Resolve? I have a smudge on my fabric (standard) headliner.
    Thanks!!

7. Luder94

Luder94 Member

I did the same thing to mine.....black grease and dirt from muck from a tire.

I used a Tide stick and a wet cloth to wash and dab out the grease (without smearing it).

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

9. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Griot's Interior Cleaner

10. tomp

tomp Member

Thanks - but I just have the "regular" headliner, which is a fabric of some sort. I don't know if those recommendations apply since they appear meant for Suede or Alcantara.
    -Tom

11. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I have the tan fabric (not Alcanterra) headliner that got a slight grease smudge on it. The service center recommend "Spray 9", which i found at my local auto parts store.

Worked like a charm.

12. First Impression

First Impression Local Vendor - Florida

Serving Tampa, Sarasota & Southwest Florida
    First things first...Take a microfiber towel or a terry towel slightly damped with hot or warm water and try to remove the smudges (DO NOT scrub hard, it can cause premature failure of your headliner later on). If the warm water doesn't do the trick, then spray a little bit of fabric cleaner on the already damped towel and try again. Don't forget to go over the spot with a clean towel to remove excess moisture.

Hope this helps

13. tomp

tomp Member

Thanks all. I"ll give it a shot and report back.

14. roblab

roblab Active Member

I got back from the body shop a few days ago, and I noticed a black fingerprint sized smudge right above my eyes near the visor. I have the suede-like beige cloth alcantara headliner.

I tried a very tiny bit of soap in water on a sponge. Still there, but lighter.

Then I tried some rubbing alcohol, which is 70% water, on the sponge.

Disappeared like magic.

Headliner looks new again. Since no one has mentioned simple rubbing alcohol (not ethyl, methyl, etc, but plain old isopropyl rubbing alcohol in your medicine cabinet) makes it an easy thing to try.

15. ImperialG

ImperialG Member

16. hikerockies

hikerockies Member

I have used unscented baby wipes on my previous cars and now Model S. It always worked and I have not seen any negative side effects.

17. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I mix some oxygen bleach powder in a cup of hot water, dip a microfiber cloth into that, and dab lightly. After it dries, if I still see hints of a stain then I go over the same area lightly with a dry microfiber cloth which does a good job of lifting the remaining stain.

18. Tommy

Tommy Member

From reading the above posts, it looks like there are several methods that have given good results. For me, I used Tide's Stain Eraser Amazon.com: Tide To Go Stain Eraser 16 Count: Health Personal Care to remove some finger print smudges on the A pillar fabric left by the window tint installer. I used the first pad to get the initial smudge off, followed up with a second pad which completely eliminated the finger print smudge. The product also comes in a "pen" format which I haven't tried.

19. mec92

mec92 New Member

AGREED! I had black smudgy grease on my light cream Alcantara headliner as a result of some sunroof work and (as a result of roblab's post here) used Isopropyl alcohol with a dry white washcloth and it came right off. I applied a mild amount of scrubbing pressure in a limited area (so as to not rub it in or spread it out) and it completely came off. Thanks for the tip!! "Before" picture attached - yuck!
    IMG_6075.JPG

20. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

I have had success just using hydrogen peroxide and blotting with a soft cloth.