Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black headliner - any regrets ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The black headliner is perfect for the pillar between the doors. With the tan headliner, in that area where the upper door surface and the door panel and the pillar meet, you can get three different colors which to me looks rather jumbled. There is no need to have three colors in that area IMHO. The black headliner with the tan interior is just appealing to me.

My Sig has the tan leather interior and tan headliner. My P85D has the grey leather interior and the black headliner. The latter combo is better, IMO, and I don't find the black headliner 'confining' at all: it just disappears, visually. No regrets.

I just placed my deposit today. I got black on black on black on black on black :tongue: (headliner, leather, exterior, piano trim). I figured with the Pano roof there is no risk of really feeling closed in.

Here's another pic.

FullSizeRender.jpg

My mustang has a black interior+black headliner and it doesn't feel confining at all. I couldn't imagine it would feel confining in the Model S given the lack of a center console and pano roof. The Model S is a very open and airy car from the inside!

Just ordered my wife's S with black exterior and all black interior. Advised to take pano roof. Told that solid roof with all black Alcantara inside would be claustrophobic.

This is a picture from a grey/black car.

mwulff: was the car pictured come with premium interior package or just the Grey Napa seats option?

I test drove a car with grey interior and back headliner that has the standard grey leather interior and it included the very nice black alcantara on the dash. I have my heart set on the alcantara trim on the dash, and I hope to get it. my car goes into production in June.

mwulff: was the car pictured come with premium interior package or just the Grey Napa seats option?

I test drove a car with grey interior and back headliner that has the standard grey leather interior and it included the very nice black alcantara on the dash. I have my heart set on the alcantara trim on the dash, and I hope to get it. my car goes into production in June.

All 2015 builds (so far at least) include black alcantara on the dash when you order any color alcantara headliner.

Here are a few color-accurate pictures I took for my own thread abouy the black alcantara + gray interior.

Dropbox - TeslaGrayBlackAlcantaraObecheMatte

I came upon this thread because I'm debating black vs. light headliner with black leather for my Titanium X - thanks for the photos and many comments from others which help. I notice your Obeche Matte goes horizontal, and I think it does so in the X as well. However in my S85 manufactured in February 2013 the Obeche lines are vertical. Interesting.

My car is tan leather with the light headliner, and I love it, but I always wondered about the black headliner, I then had a loaner: black leather, black headliner, piano black decor, pano roof. What a confining little cell. I couldn't get back to my own car fast enough!

In addition to the claustrophobia, you also just couldn't see anything, it absorbed any light that came near it.

Before I found my current car in inventory, I was configuring in the design studio with tan seats and black headliner, I still like the idea, but after the all black nightmare I'd be reluctant to try even tan and black without sitting in one first. It could work though when you have the lighter seats.

My car is tan leather with the light headliner, and I love it, but I always wondered about the black headliner, I then had a loaner: black leather, black headliner, piano black decor, pano roof. What a confining little cell. I couldn't get back to my own car fast enough!

In addition to the claustrophobia, you also just couldn't see anything, it absorbed any light that came near it.

Before I found my current car in inventory, I was configuring in the design studio with tan seats and black headliner, I still like the idea, but after the all black nightmare I'd be reluctant to try even tan and black without sitting in one first. It could work though when you have the lighter seats.

I have tan seats, light headliner and obeche matte on my blue 2013 S85 which I'm very happy with, but with five kids over 2 years and 10 months the light headliner is showing its age a bit, as are the seats. Some marks and stains on the ceiling, and a definitely worn area on the front of the driver's B column where I get in and out.

As a result I'm thinking black seats, black headliner and because the obeche matte is too dark, switching to the figured ash to at least lighten the wood accent. I'm not aware of any Model Xs delivered around Boston so I may just go to the Dedham store/SC and look at Model S's with different color combinations, keeping in mind that the X should feel lighter with the massive front glass.

Last edited:
First S: black seats, light headliner, and carbon fiber.
Second S: tan seats, black headliner, obeche matte.

I went with the black seats in the first S specifically because the only option for the headliner at the time was the light one, and I thought the tan seats and the white headliner clashed at the B pillar. It was nice, but I found the black seats combined with the black carpet made the cockpit too dark.

On the second S, the black headliner was available, so I was able to get the tan seats. I much prefer this combination, and even though the headliner is black, I find the cockpit more comforting and no sense of claustrophobia.

I personally don't like the all black combination, but to each is own. That's why we have choices.

This thread: Photos: Grey Next Gen seats + Carbon Fiber + Black Alcantara + Premium Front Console has photos of the amazing gray next gen seats and black headliner combo. Truly stunning.

I agree! :)

The black headliner is perfect for the pillar between the doors. With the tan headliner, in that area where the upper door surface and the door panel and the pillar meet, you can get three different colors which to me looks rather jumbled. There is no need to have three colors in that area IMHO. [...]

this is exactly the reason I chose the black headliner for my car. Grey + black + CF go together very well overall and IMO it didn't make sense introducing another colour (ie tan headliner). I think as long as you have a pano roof as well, the black above doesn't feel confining. OTOH, I sat in an car in the store with black seats + black headliner and did find it too dark inside for my taste.