TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Black headliner option

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by d47m122, Aug 4, 2014.

1. d47m122

d47m122 Member

Just a heads up. I was at my Tesla store on Saturday and in the store they had a new black headliner option on display. Doesn't appear to be on the web site, but when I configured my P85 it was coming with the tan alcantera headliner. It was tan when I configured it but I've asked them to please make sure my car ships with the black one in September as my leather is black. Haven't heard back yet, but seems to be a new option.

2. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

Finally - this would be nice. They should have used black as a default from the beginning, and tan should have been an option for only the tan seats.

3. d47m122

d47m122 Member

Right! Provided that I can get this on mine before it builds, I'm going to be very happy about this. The tan against the black just looks weird and will def look much more sporty. I've been watching for new options or changes while I've been waiting out my delivery date. :)

4. HHHH

HHHH Member

Hmm, I don't really notice that mine is tan, despite my exterior, interior, and wheels all being dark. I still would like the option of having a black headliner though, preferably in alcantara. Wonder how much the "upgrade" will be...

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Cream, not tan. It (decently) matches the seat belts in a Signature that has the white interior. It definitely does not match the tan interior seats.

6. d47m122

d47m122 Member

My mistake. I will be happier avoiding cream or tan. :)

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I definitely would have selected the black were it an option, but I'm a bit glad it wasn't. I've grown to quite like the cream/tan. It makes the interior feel a bit more open, even when everything else is black.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Hehe.
    There was some discussion when cars were about to be delivered about "zomg, why did they do a light colored headliner". After some discussion, there were pictures posted and anecdotes about what other cars had done and were doing. My fuzzy recollection is that the consensus was that a dark colored roof is somewhat unusual and that a light colored one "opens up" the interior (somewhat like the pano roof does even when closed).

All that said...

I look forward to seeing some dark headliners as part of continuing exploration of what I prefer. :)

9. Majerus

Majerus Member

This is awesome , I have been asking for this for sometime. Did you happen to get any pics?

10. d47m122

d47m122 Member

Sadly I have just heard from my delivery experience rep and the black headliner was placed on display by mistake and there is no ETA for when it will be available. One step forward, two steps back. :/

11. wamochi

wamochi Member

we would have loved black headliner, and would have paid a little extra for that "option" if it was available.

we've gotten it on a few cars and love the sporty cabin feel with black leather. the light beige headliner has already gotten so many dirty finger prints on them, some of them from being at the service center.

12. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

As an aside, when mine got some smudges on it, "Spray 9" is what the service center recommended to clean it. Found it at my local auto store and it works like a charm.

13. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

image.jpg

Aftermarket.

14. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

While out in California for TMC Connect, a group happened to be @ Fremont on Thursday, July 17.
    And there was a very special MS that was being prepared for delivery to its lucky owner, and we later watched it drive away.
    (Tesla guys kept us away from oogling the car while it was still inside the delivery center area).

And then it came back.

It was entirely dark purple, including the chin spoiler, the door sills, the rear skirt, the nose and the dash.
    And IT had a black headliner installed (I do have a picture of the dash and headliner).
    So there is at least one car out there, and it will be really easy to spot.

15. d47m122

d47m122 Member

Would love to see it.

I wonder what strings you have to pull to get this stuff. I mean, a black headliner is such a basic option. I've not even had to think about it on my last two bimmers. That's why I was excited to see it listed as an option and don't feel like I should have to pay to have an aftermarket one put it on a 100k+ car.

16. Frank Mucus

Frank Mucus Member

It's a secret society, all we axe is trust.
    That was probably George R.R. Martin's, the author of the Game of Thrones books. I don't know why he wood choose purple though. That's more suited for a street cat, like Cam'ron

17. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Ditto. I was concerned with it at first, but I feel like it makes an otherwise dark interior feel a tad bigger. That said, I'd love to see it in black.

19. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The picture makes it look like something from the Playboy mansion. I'm not a big fan of black anything in a car, but I've seen Mike's headliner in person and it looks spectacular.

20. jbruce

jbruce Member

Awesome. Too bad this was not an option when we ordered our P85+. So much better than the tan one which matches nothing in our white/black/grey car. Too bad headliners are such a PITA to replace and install.