Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black ice on the road and my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but sometimes easier said than done. Idiots around here like to jump into your front buffer zone and slam on their brakes for some reason. Actually, I think it's because they rush into the opening and have to slam on their own brakes to keep from hitting the car in front. In any event, you pretty much have to get off the gas and on to the brakes asap.

One lucky thing about regen is that braking from the rear tends to pull the car into a straight line. But do be careful to feather off the gas pedal. If you really start to lose it plant the friction brakes so the ABS engages, that will both slow the car and maintain some steering control.

...gas pedal?

We talk about mileage yet everything here is in kilometers. No reason to change terminology just because the technology changes!
I see. So I guess that means the Model S can be pumped gasoline at home in several hours!
Or we can use Tesla's SuperPumper Network, where we can fill up the Model S in only 30 minutes!
Or we can use the touchscreen to check its oil life! Or the temperature of the engine! And the amount of gasoline being used over time!

I've always wondered how Tesla managed to fit the engine between the back wheels.
And I'm still amazed that Elon thought of shaping the gasoline tank into a plate to fit under the car to lower the center of gravity!
And I'm guessing the floor and gas tank helps block out the engine noise.

And even with a 416 HP V10 Twin Turbo-charged engine, the Model S still manages 88/90 miles per gallon! Amazing!!

Would you Buy Model S if it had an ICE instead of Electric?

Funny guy.

I see. So I guess that means the Model S can be pumped gasoline at home in several hours!

Silly since there's no gasoline.

Or we can use Tesla's SuperPumper Network, where we can fill up the Model S in only 30 minutes!

No, but I can use the SuperCharger to "fill up" the car in 30 minutes! [/QUOTE]

The other stuff is irrelevant. There's a difference between terminology hanging over and stuff that simply doesn't apply anymore.

There's a difference between terminology hanging over and stuff that simply doesn't apply anymore.

I think there was another thread on this before. Some terms, like gas pedal, are just going to stick around. We still talk of "dialing" a phone number as opposed to "entering" it as you would on a push button phone and refer to video "footage" even though film is mostly gone.

I think there was another thread on this before. Some terms, like gas pedal, are just going to stick around. We still talk of "dialing" a phone number as opposed to "entering" it as you would on a push button phone and refer to video "footage" even though film is mostly gone.

And the outcome was the "GAS pedal" is the "Go And Stop" pedal...

...pulling off the accelerator fully to see if the car skidded from the rear end and you are right, the ABS kicked in and the car kept straight. I know I did not feel the ABS kick in when I passed the 3 cars, therefore I must not have pulled off the accelerator too much!!! Thanks.

Question: I thought the ABS would only come on when using the actual brakes during a hard stop. Your post seems to imply that the ABS came on during regen braking. Is that what you are saying? Or did you mean that the Traction Control came on during regen breaking because of the slippery conditions?

Thanks for your comments.

Question: I thought the ABS would only come on when using the actual brakes during a hard stop. Your post seems to imply that the ABS came on during regen braking. Is that what you are saying? Or did you mean that the Traction Control came on during regen breaking because of the slippery conditions?.

There are three systems:

1. ABS Anti-lock Braking System -- This is for braking it keeps the wheels from skidding and shortens the stopping distance.

2. TC Traction Control -- This is for acceleration and keep the wheels from spinning.

3. [VDE]SC Stability Control -- This keeps the vehicle straight and works whether braking or accelerating. (There are a variety of letters that go in front of the SC, but they all amount to the same thing.)

ElectricAvenue experienced VSC.

More like Stability Control. And (interestingly enough) since stability control uses the braking system it actually would engage ABS to some extent. Still, stability control will probably let you get more sideways than you would prefer on an icy road...

I haven't had a chance to try stability control on the Model S yet as there hasn't been an ice day. However, the stability control in the Prius was fantastic. If I really tried (on a wide road, zero traffic, off camber corner, faster than advisable) I could get it sideways but it snapped back straight immediately. I have every expectation that the Model S will do just as well.

I've already hit black ice on a corner this season. Stability control works very nicely.

Also I'm getting the feeling that they've improved the traction control algorithm since last winter. I haven't hit truly horrible conditions yet but it's been working extremely well.

I've already hit black ice on a corner this season. Stability control works very nicely.

Also I'm getting the feeling that they've improved the traction control algorithm since last winter. I haven't hit truly horrible conditions yet but it's been working extremely well.
When you have more time (with the car and to type) more details on your observations (vs. last winter) would be interesting.

That would be great news. I won't be able to make a comparison with last year as I stored my S for the winter. Keep us posted - especially on inclines.

The last time I started up on a slippery incline, the TC did what I expected - a bunch of little brief slips but the wheels turned and the car moved. Last year the TC bit so hard the wheels simply didn't turn at all. That said I'm going to wait until I have more data before drawing a firm conclusion.

The last time I started up on a slippery incline, the TC did what I expected - a bunch of little brief slips but the wheels turned and the car moved. Last year the TC bit so hard the wheels simply didn't turn at all. That said I'm going to wait until I have more data before drawing a firm conclusion.

That's also the behavior I experienced last year. Really scary while in the middle of some traffic. I hope it's a a real fix - finger crossed.

I also had that problem several times last winter. Late in the season I discovered that setting the regen on Low and using my foot to limit the applied power to 30 kW usually allowed the car to move slowly (or regen modestly) without engaging the traction control. I've often thought it would be nice if drivers could have a screen setting to collapse the limits on power and regen to deal with slippery conditions.

Had the same experience in my first slippery conditions of the year (on 5.8). Felt better than last year for sure.

Question: I thought the ABS would only come on when using the actual brakes during a hard stop. Your post seems to imply that the ABS came on during regen braking. Is that what you are saying? Or did you mean that the Traction Control came on during regen breaking because of the slippery conditions?

Thanks for your comments.

I did mean ABS and the reason why is that I heard the ABS shudder sound. ( I am testing my memory here but I am pretty sure that is why I though the ABS kicked in).

- - - Updated - - -

That's also the behavior I experienced last year. Really scary while in the middle of some traffic. I hope it's a a real fix - finger crossed.

You can turn off TC and that will allow the wheels to spin.

> You can turn off TC and that will allow the wheels to spin. [Electric Avenue]

Then traffic stuck behind will know at least you're trying!

TC appreciates a good snow/ice tire. If TC is cramping your driving style, then what you need is better tires. [Figured this out myself, Doh!]
--