Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black is the new black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my Model S order a couple of days ago and now I'm staring at my Tesla on the configuration page. The entire car is black. I'm wondering if it's too much? Would love input from others, especially if you have a similar configuration.

I started with leather seats. I would have considered grey but they're not available now. So black it is. For the trim, I really do like the default dark ash wood. I initially started with the default white headliner, but then I read a lot of posts from people raving about the black. So I went with black (I do have the pano roof).

Then we come to the exterior. I currently have it configured for the base black, but I'm also really interested in the obsidian metallic black.

So - black paint, black leather seats, black headliner, dark trim. This could either look like the coolest looking car ever, or it could look and feel way too too dark.

So, question is:

1) Anyone else go with a configuration like this? If so, opinions and pics would be awesome!

2) For those who went with a black exterior, did you choose flat black or obsidian black, and why?

I know - it's all a matter of personal preference. But I still like to hear other peoples' perspectives :)

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Reekdog
I have this same problem. I have black Ext on a X with black seats. Went with white headliner but not sure what to end up with.

Yeah - I guess the headliner is really the one option that I'm considering changing to break things up a bit. My current car is black leather and black exterior, and has cream headliner - funnily enough I never noticed until today.

I did not go all black. I picked blue exterior and all black interior.

I just had a black car for over five years and a dark charcoal for years before that, so my personal preference was to liven things up a bit with blue paint. As you said, it's a personal choice. You can never really go wrong with black, but all black is a bit boring to me.

I went all black as well. I love lighter interiors, but they don't age well. So all black interior with the Matt Obeche... then I finally decided on black for the outside as well, cause I didn't like the white and my wife said red was unlucky... so black won by having the least objections, lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: fallen888
I did not go all black. I picked blue exterior and all black interior.

I just had a black car for over five years and a dark charcoal for years before that, so my personal preference was to liven things up a bit with blue paint. As you said, it's a personal choice. You can never really go wrong with black, but all black is a bit boring to me.

That blue is simply gorgeous. I went with blue and all back interior (non-leather) and I love it. The blue color gets random people to compliment the car and I only had for 2 days. Of course that's all personal choice...

I currently have solid black exterior, black carbon fiber interior, black leather seats, and cream headliner (black was not available when I purchased). I'm waiting on the P100D to upgrade and planning on all-black interior (including black headliner) but going with midnight silver metallic exterior. I too am a bit worried that ALL black might be a bit much...

I placed my Model S order a couple of days ago and now I'm staring at my Tesla on the configuration page. The entire car is black. I'm wondering if it's too much? Would love input from others, especially if you have a similar configuration.

Wife and I spent more time trying to finalize headliner than anything else! Since last Black/Black car had light headliner that's what we went with on this car: Black/Black/White headliner. We thought black ceiling was too claustrophobic. We are happy; YMMV.

(Former New Zealander or former flight attendant?)

Wife and I spent more time trying to finalize headliner than anything else! Since last Black/Black car had light headliner that's what we went with on this car: Black/Black/White headliner. We thought black ceiling was too claustrophobic. We are happy; YMMV.

(Former New Zealander or former flight attendant?)

Former NZer living in the US. Come to think of it, maybe an All Black car is perfect!

Really interested to hear that you went with the white headliner. Did you go for the pano roof? Obsidian or regular black? And would you happen to have some pics of your car handy?

Former NZer living in the US. Come to think of it, maybe an All Black car is perfect!

Really interested to hear that you went with the white headliner. Did you go for the pano roof? Obsidian or regular black? And would you happen to have some pics of your car handy?

Regular black. No pano (moving to Florida). Don't have a picture that really shows the contrast but will try to get one for you that is better than the design page.

(Former American Air flight attendants have an organization called KIWIs: they no longer fly. Hence, the earlier question. I enjoyed my time in your country. Beautiful and amazing).

IMG_8348.jpg
IMG_8356.jpg
IMG_8352.jpg

I have all black. I do like it and it's not a color one gets bored with. I think it looks classy. I wished they would have offered a deep red/burgundy leather interior option though.

I went with all black and love it! I like the continuity of the color. I also have the pano roof so it doesn't look too dark. My last car was matte black with tan leather. The tan leather didn't wear well. I thought I'd try the obsidian black and the metallic flecks are gorgeous in the sun. The only downfall to black carpet it that it shows everything you pick up. I keep a DustBuster plugged in right next to my charger and it takes care of that problem. Trust me, you will love the all black configuration!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 144
I'm expecting right now. I choosed the all black too. Exterior, the headliner, the seats and carbon. Except the wheels - I want the 19". Maybe I'll color them later - there is another thread and looks surprisingly good.

I'm going to coat my car. It could change the color to any and you wouldn't recognize, but I'm keeping the pure black. It's should protect the car surface only. The price is pretty same as the official colors.

View attachment 191182 View attachment 191183 View attachment 191184

I have all black. I do like it and it's not a color one gets bored with. I think it looks classy. I wished they would have offered a deep red/burgundy leather interior option though.

Very nice. Exactly what I've ordered; due in a couple of weeks. I even went a bit further and ordered the RPMTesla blackout skins for the door handles. I personally think Tesla should offer colored handles to match the body IF you wanted them. Again, personal pref. :)