Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black lug nut covers for older generations (enclosed) lug nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
having my 19" slipstream wheels powdercoated black and would like to get the lug nuts to match. However i only seem to be able to find covers for the newer, "open" lug nuts. Will these fit on the older lug nuts that are 'enclosed' or do i need to get all new lug nuts just to get them to be black and match the wheels?

having my 19" slipstream wheels powdercoated black and would like to get the lug nuts to match. However i only seem to be able to find covers for the newer, "open" lug nuts. Will these fit on the older lug nuts that are 'enclosed' or do i need to get all new lug nuts just to get them to be black and match the wheels?

The covers for the 2nd generation lug nuts (open style) are not compatible with the 1st generation lug nuts (closed style).

It's probably worth replacing the 1st generation anyway. They're prone to "swelling" (distorting from use of an impact gun or non-standard socket) and making it impossible to fit a proper-sized lug wrench.

If you want to use aftermarket lug nuts, the lugs are 14mm x 1.50.

The older style lug nuts:

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-07.jpg

They're soft-ish and these are examples where the socket was a bit loose while removing them. As of a couple of years ago I think Tesla was proactively replacing these with the newer open-style ones as they saw cars come in for work at the Service Centers.