Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black M3 LR 2021 paintwork

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we've had our M3 now for almost 6 months and I'm getting ready to post a review on what it's been like so far as an ownership experience. I have to say it's overwhelmingly positive and I only have a few minor niggles so far.

One thing I've recently noticed is that our car seems to have picked up lots of micro scratches across the sides of the vehicle and that these have scratched the glass covering the side cameras. These aren't visible unless you're a foot or so away but I'm really surprised that the paintwork is this scratch prone.

Wondering if this is specific to the black paint model and/or others have found this with their M3's. If so, is it worth getting these scratches sorted now or towards the end of the lease (we've got another 3 years to go)?

All paint gains microscratches and whirl marks, it is perhaps more obvious in bright light on a black car than some of the (less awesome) colours, but they are still there if you look closely. Assuming they are superficial they will go with proper polishing (real polish that's slightly abrasive) but it takes some skill and is best done with a polishing machine.
If it's a lease I wouldn't give it a second thought.

All paint gains microscratches and whirl marks, it is perhaps more obvious in bright light on a black car than some of the (less awesome) colours, but they are still there if you look closely. Assuming they are superficial they will go with proper polishing (real polish that's slightly abrasive) but it takes some skill and is best done with a polishing machine.
If it's a lease I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Thanks! It does look awesome when properly cleaned but man, this black paint doesn’t half show up the dirt/imperfections.

Thanks! It does look awesome when properly cleaned but man, this black paint doesn’t half show up the dirt/imperfections.
Mine's fine, it is ceramic coated but I'm not convinced that helps, we may just have different expectations. I had some marks near the handles where I guess I was holding keys but I've polished those out.

I had a 2019 black M3. It was beautiful when gleaming and from 10ft away but the paintwork quality was so inconsistent up close. I know the white is now free and very common but I’d take that every time. Back in 2019, the white was a £2k option. you know the saying “once you go black you never go back”…….well yes, I’ve never been back to a black car 😂

• Funny
Reactions: browellm
I've never done anything with any of my cars but hand wash with a bucket after hosing down, followed by a hose down and chammy off. Sure, there's swirls and micro scratches, if you look closely, but it's NEVER affected any trade in/sale price. So, if you want to keep it forever, spend hours every week cleaning and tittivating, go ahead. If you're moving it on after a few years, don't bother. Wash it when it's dirty, and drive it. My opinion, tin hat now on, fire away!