Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black metal dash wrap, keep or remove?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had purchased a two part black metal dash vinyl wrap from RPM but was debating if I really wanted to install it. I went ahead and installed it yesterday but I think I should have gone with the brushed steel or brushed titanium. Maybe too much black on the dash? If I do change to some other color, dash 1.JPG Dash 5.JPG Dash 4.jpg dash 2.jpg I might try a one piece wrap. Pictures attached.

I think it's too clearly a wrap, which is probably due to the underlying wood grain. There's a visible texture that isn't the "brushed" texture of the wrap. Thicker vinyl might be needed, or a base coat to smooth the wood. As for the color, I agree it's too much black.

I think it's too clearly a wrap, which is probably due to the underlying wood grain. There's a visible texture that isn't the "brushed" texture of the wrap. Thicker vinyl might be needed, or a base coat to smooth the wood. As for the color, I agree it's too much black.

Yeah it doesn't look like black metal from the pics. It looks kind of like black masking tape to me.

Install wasn't that hard or time consuming. I agree the wood grain appears to have come through ruining the brushed metal look. In their installation video the brushed steel looked good so I'm not sure if my dash wood is more porous or if it's the black metal vinyl that is the problem. I may try the carbon fiber since it is less likely to show the grain (I think).

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
I had purchased a two part black metal dash vinyl wrap from RPM but was debating if I really wanted to install it. I went ahead and installed it yesterday but I think I should have gone with the brushed steel or brushed titanium. Maybe too much black on the dash? If I do change to some other color,View attachment 300193 View attachment 300194 View attachment 300195 View attachment 300196 I might try a one piece wrap. Pictures attached.

No looks bad. Wood is a lot more premium looking

I agree. Remove it. smooth black on a textured wood grain looks bad. Maybe the brushed or carbon would look good. I think when white seats and SR non PUP cars come out you will see a smooth dash and that will allow you to do whatever you want easier.
Anybody know what is under the wood grain? I presume the Tesla wood grain is a wrap. Is there a smooth panel under the wood? I see potential opportunities here!

Anybody know what is under the wood grain? I presume the Tesla wood grain is a wrap. Is there a smooth panel under the wood? I see potential opportunities here!
If it is like any other car maker (except for a handful of ultra-luxurious brands), what you see is a thin veneer applied to a hard surface. Seeing how Tesla switched to vegan seats I highly doubt they would like to be portrayed as a tree killing company :p

If it is like any other car maker (except for a handful of ultra-luxurious brands), what you see is a thin veneer applied to a hard surface.
Although I don't have my car yet, that is what it appears to be in pictures. The base is probably either metal (most likely) or thick plastic. The car in the reveal with white interior had a white panel there. I see all kinds of possibilities. I haven't decided whether I will keep the wood or not, but if not, that wood veneer will be peeled off to present a nice and clean surface to customize - something else to fixate on while I wait.