TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Black metal dash wrap, keep or remove?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Austindude, May 10, 2018.

1. Austindude

Austindude Member

I had purchased a two part black metal dash vinyl wrap from RPM but was debating if I really wanted to install it. I went ahead and installed it yesterday but I think I should have gone with the brushed steel or brushed titanium. Maybe too much black on the dash? If I do change to some other color, dash 1.JPG Dash 5.JPG Dash 4.jpg dash 2.jpg I might try a one piece wrap. Pictures attached.

2. Mishakim

Mishakim Member

I think it's too clearly a wrap, which is probably due to the underlying wood grain. There's a visible texture that isn't the "brushed" texture of the wrap. Thicker vinyl might be needed, or a base coat to smooth the wood. As for the color, I agree it's too much black.

3. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I agree, it's too black.

How was the install process? Easy?

4. Need

Need Active Member

Yeah it doesn't look like black metal from the pics. It looks kind of like black masking tape to me.

5. Austindude

Austindude Member

Install wasn't that hard or time consuming. I agree the wood grain appears to have come through ruining the brushed metal look. In their installation video the brushed steel looked good so I'm not sure if my dash wood is more porous or if it's the black metal vinyl that is the problem. I may try the carbon fiber since it is less likely to show the grain (I think).

• Informative x 1
  6. Aellinsar

Aellinsar Member

My $0.02 - I think it looks good.

7. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

8. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

sorry, not a fan of that look :(

9. Narekzo

Narekzo Member

No looks bad. Wood is a lot more premium looking

10. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

I agree. Remove it. smooth black on a textured wood grain looks bad. Maybe the brushed or carbon would look good. I think when white seats and SR non PUP cars come out you will see a smooth dash and that will allow you to do whatever you want easier.

11. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Anybody know what is under the wood grain? I presume the Tesla wood grain is a wrap. Is there a smooth panel under the wood? I see potential opportunities here!

12. firelegend

firelegend Member

I think it looks a bit cheap :( more like ebony wood but i can kinda see its a wrap.

13. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Here's what you do - take off the wrap, wait for the white interior to come out, then swap your wood strip for the white strip out of someone's white interior car, then wrap that however you want.

14. arcus

arcus Active Member

If it is like any other car maker (except for a handful of ultra-luxurious brands), what you see is a thin veneer applied to a hard surface. Seeing how Tesla switched to vegan seats I highly doubt they would like to be portrayed as a tree killing company :p

15. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Although I don't have my car yet, that is what it appears to be in pictures. The base is probably either metal (most likely) or thick plastic. The car in the reveal with white interior had a white panel there. I see all kinds of possibilities. I haven't decided whether I will keep the wood or not, but if not, that wood veneer will be peeled off to present a nice and clean surface to customize - something else to fixate on while I wait.

16. But_dave

But_dave Member

My vote is either keep as wood or remove wood to put brushed metal to match console brushed metal. as is, it is too much black and total different texture than anything else, sorry to disappoint with my opinion.

17. loppy244

loppy244 Member

Too much black, and you can tell it was wrapped. You did a good job though you can't see any wrinkles =)