Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Model 3s. Tint or no tint? Anybody have pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess this is more of a 2021-2022 question because I believe that is when they went away from chrome but I can't decide if I want to go with tint because the entire car will be black other than the red calipers. I love tint but would like to see some pics.:)

I guess this is more of a 2021-2022 question because I believe that is when they went away from chrome but I can't decide if I want to go with tint because the entire car will be black other than the red calipers. I love tint but would like to see some pics.:)
my personal opinion is that a black car with tinted windows looks like either (a) a drug dealer or (b) a prop from a bad Hollywood movie.

Reactions: Shelburne
to each their own. love the murdered out look; even blacked out the rear side reflector and the little reflectors on the bumper. 15% sides, 5% rear and roof and 60% front windshield. only deal drugs on the weekends.
IMG_3974.jpg

I am at 35 all around and 70% on the windshield. My previous vehicle was 20% all around and 50% on the windshield, and I wish I’d gone with that again…

D5F21466-5EC9-43DB-A362-DD67CD5B6D49.jpeg
271F10FA-1F7A-485F-B6DB-A41A5531C975.jpeg

All the lights in the rear are tinted, and I am probably going to do the fronts as well.

I’ll be doing the wheels in black enamel soon as well.

All about dem drugs doe.

Reactions: Young Phenom
Also, more practically, I will never had another car without ceramic tint on every piece of glass. True, it doesn’t have to be super dark to work, but even mildly dark reduces driver eye fatigue and makes daytime road trips a little more pleasant.

Specifically, I have sensitive eyes and ALWAYS need sunglasses outside during the day. With my previous 20%/50% setup, I never needed sunglasses in the car. Now, with 35% on the sides and 70% on the windshield, I still find myself reaching for sunglasses about half the time. It is significantly better than before from both heat and eye strain, but tint does have a lot of practical value for me.

Plus, it does keep the car a lot cooler, and doesn’t require nearly as much work from the AC to get the cabin nice before I enter.

My car is white, but the previous owner had the windows tinted. Do you guys not struggle while reversing when it's dark? If there's poor light (generally car parks), I really struggle, I don't like the camera in those situations as it struggles to pick out objects.

My car is white, but the previous owner had the windows tinted. Do you guys not struggle while reversing when it's dark? If there's poor light (generally car parks), I really struggle, I don't like the camera in those situations as it struggles to pick out objects.
On both my previous car (which had darker tint but a pretty nice backup camera) and the Model 3 (which has an even better camera), I haven’t had any issues.

When you say “struggles to pick out objects,” can you give an example?

Of note, outward rear visibility in the TM3, to me, isn’t all that great between the small mirrors and low seating position, so I definitely rely on the cameras to make sure I don’t hit anything directly behind the vehicle. I do use the side mirrors for alignment every day when I back into my garage, though.

15% ceramic, love it. I guess we're thugs because my wife is allergic to ultraviolet rays.
Of course some people prefer to be cooked by the sun.
If I can't see when backing up, I put the windows down. Its not Neuralink. 😆👍
View attachment 807487
I feel like the people who associate tint = thugs are probably the same people who think tattoos = convict. They tend to be.. older.

I feel like the people who associate tint = thugs are probably the same people who think tattoos = convict. They tend to be.. older.
They've got a point though, years ago people with tatoos tended to be "rough". Now every hipster has one (or more):D.

Visibility wise (as I don't know how to multiquote on my phone), I agree about the mirrors, the issue I have is that there's one particular car park where I drop my daughter off for brownies, and were in a historic town, so not many street lights, literally the only thing lighting the carpark are peoples headlights, and you reverse upto a brick wall. It's just hard to see stuff, especially when there's others parents/kids you have to worry about.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood