Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Model X: How do you keep it clean? Any regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my MX Obsidian black wrapped and coated with OptiCoat Pro Plus. amazing stuff. A quick hose down and wipe and back to perfection. I did buy a power washer for the wheels/plastic underside to get the worse off. I live in the north east after all!

Consider a mobile detailer. They come by every week or two and hand wash the car with soft water.

Will also wax it from time to time and vacuum interior when it needs it.

Between visits use a California duster lightly to handle daily dust of pollen.

Much less expensive than anything else, you you will look forward to always having a clean car, and eliminate the high personal maintenance that a black car demands.

Black cars look fantastic when freshly washed and waxed, after a couple days...not so much.

Reactions: Maximus-MX
Here are the before-after pictures.

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

Reactions: dragonxt
I have an Obsidian Black MX. The ceramic coating (Gtechniq Crystal Serum) on mine is amazing. Repels dirt, water and light surface scratches. I often just have to spray it down with a spray bottle and wipe up with a cloth. I also had the front end wrapped in Llumar Platinum wrap which is great for keeping the swirls down. Hope this helps.
I've done much the same. Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer for the win in-between washes FTW! Always told my car always looks so clean. OTOH I always see some dirt cause I stare at it too often. :p

I have the Obsidian black and had it wrapped first thing. Love it! It gets hand washed about every week or two, so it stays looking great.

My question is what do folks WITH WRAPS use on road trips to battle the bugs on the front end. We go on long trips and would like to remove bugs as we go (superchargers stops, etc). Looking for products that won't affect the wrap.

I have the Obsidian black and had it wrapped first thing. Love it! It gets hand washed about every week or two, so it stays looking great.

My question is what do folks WITH WRAPS use on road trips to battle the bugs on the front end. We go on long trips and would like to remove bugs as we go (superchargers stops, etc). Looking for products that won't affect the wrap.

More bugs. With enough, it creates a film of bugs that is very effective at protecting the film from rock chips.

In all seriousness, I find it futile on road trips. I just wait until I get to my destination before giving it a proper wash. I typically do a touch less car wash first to help with the rinse process.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
Very unique! I had a black/black car with black wheels and you have red on red! That would be a cool picture if my car wasn't in an accident (Accident and Repairs) and I could still drive it and maybe take a cool pic. I was planning to go to Montana and maybe Colorado but I guess since my car was wrecked I can't until I get a new one. Here is my black on black on black with powder coated 20's.
IMG_3466.jpeg
IMG_3622.jpeg

Reactions: Maximus-MX
I have XPEL Ultimate full clear wrap and scheduled for CQuartz Finest next week. For washing at chargers or in my garage, I use Sanszo waterless carwash with microfiber cloths to wipe away dirt and grime. I spray the vehicle and let it soak in for a minute and wipe it away with a cloth. Stubborn dirt, bugs or bird droppings require multiple sprays and wipes to break down the debris before it lifts off the wrap or paint. I buy it from Canadian Costco website and Canadian tire sells it as well.

Costco Wholesale

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca