Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Onyx Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if any one has experience with powder coating wheel rims. The reason I ask is that I ordered one of the "high margin" configurations (P90DL all but tow and cold weather option) that is supposed to be first in line, however, I also included the black onyx wheels which appear to be gumming up the works (who knew) with some people saying do not expect anything until September?. I have the option of changing my order to 22 in silver wheels (with the corresponding $500 change fee) which supposedly will increase the probability of actually getting my MX at some point in the foreseeable future. However, in order to get the black wheels I want, I would have to powder coat the silver wheels and wondered if anyone has experience with durability and look. Yes I know patience is a virtue but this MX experience would make even a saint lose it (I am on my third MS starting with VIN 2xxx so I have experienced the TM shuffle and this comes as no surprise).

Someone said, another said, then it was posted. Anyone have access to the Design Studio? What does TESLA say if you choose the Black Onyx Wheels?

Tesla post delays for 5 seat, 70D's, 90D's, etc. If there were a 9 month delay, I would think Tesla would contact all those who have the config. They know who we are, they let us know of the "name change".

Thanks Warrenbonz..... I may ask Tesla to change. It was not listed as such when I made the configuration. I just need to know how much it will cost to powder coat the silver. I don't what to dip them... too temporary.

What is the stated delivery for P90DL will all boxes checked (except tow and cold weather) with 22 in silver wheels? (Once confirmed it appears that one is locked out of the configurator) If it still says mid 2016, may just wait it out. Thanks

There is a special note for the wheels. The P90D says "Deliveries begin early 2016" but then above in the wheels there is a note under the Onyx that "Deliveries begin mid 2016." See attached.

XOnyx.jpg

Even with wheel changed from Black 22 to silver 22, there is still no VIN assigned. I am still waiting on a VIN right now after the black wheel change. Confirmed 1/4
That is what I am afraid of happening, I change my order, pay $500 and wind up with little or no reduction in delay. There is so little reliable information from anyone including TM that I do not want to go thru the hassle to save a couple of weeks. Let me know when you get your VIN (when did you actually change your configuration?). Thanks

Way too logical...

Seriously there may be issues with unmounting/mounting, wear and tear etc....but would be interested to hear what your DS comes back with...mine was less than helpful

I really regret for choosing the black onix wheel at time of configuration. I really think if i choose the 22 inch silver, i should already receive a VIN and an estimated delivery time by now. Damn it!

I really regret for choosing the black onix wheel at time of configuration. I really think if i choose the 22 inch silver, i should already receive a VIN and an estimated delivery time by now. Damn it!
Not your fault, at the time of configuration, the stated delivery window even with onyx wheels was early 2016. If TM had issues with the wheels, they should have stated as such but they didnt and now people like you and I that believed what we read have to deal with the uncertainty. Too bad TM is not customer service oriented in that they would attempt to reach out and try to come up with a solution beyond just providing non-sensical answers about timing.

I have had a VIN for some time. 12/-5-ish. Vin in high 300's a day have onyx configured. I'm not completely sold on the onyx wheels being a slow down, but maybe. I would be less skeptical if I were seeing a higher rate of deliveries

They haven't issued any VINs for 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. This could be why you haven't received your VIN.

The last VINs were somewhere between 975-1000. The key items that made people go to the top were:

P90D or P90DL
Premium Option
AutoPilot Option
without 22" Black Onyx Wheels
other options irrelevant

There are still people who ordered as above and still don't have VIN. Once these people get their VINs
the next group which would be a P90D or P90L without premium or autopilot option. Based on the sketchy information in the ModelXTracker it looks like there are probably 3k to 4k in this group. The group that follows will be a big group which is the Non-P group, 90D. It will be interesting whether they will order this group by option selection like they did with the P90D or go by their Reservation Number. At some point they have to stop moving new P90D orders to the top and process the orders for people have ordered non-P90D. It is really unfare to people who reserved years ago who ordered in December to get bumped. They may have already done this. We just need to wait and see if people who ordered P90D after mid-January get VINs.

They haven't issued any VINs for 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. This could be why you haven't received your VIN. The last VINs were somewhere between 975-1000. The key items that made people go to the top were:p90D or P90DLPremium OptionAutoPilot Optionwithout 22" Black Onyx Wheelsother options irrelevantThere are still people who ordered as above and still don't have VIN. Once these people get their VINsthe next group which would be a P90D or P90L without premium or autopilot option. Based on the sketchy information in the ModelXTracker it looks like there are probably 3k to 4k in this group. The group that follows will be a big group which is the Non-P group, 90D. It will be interesting whether they will order this group by option selection like they did with the P90D or go by their Reservation Number. At some point they have to stop moving new P90D orders to the top and process the orders for people have ordered non-P90D. It is really unfare to people who reserved years ago who ordered in December to get bumped. They may have already done this. We just need to wait and see if people who ordered P90D after mid-January get VINs.
Yup ordered all that you mentioned and made the mistake of getting the black wheel. Paid 500 to corrected to 22 silver. Don't have vin, don't have production, of course don't have delivery date. DS is hard to get in touch and tesla sales do not know anything either. Hard to be patient when there is so many uncertainties.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Yup ordered all that you mentioned and made the mistake of getting the black wheel. Paid 500 to corrected to 22 silver. Don't have vin, don't have production, of course don't have delivery date. DS is hard to get in touch and tesla sales do not know anything either. Hard to be patient when there is so many uncertainties.

I have found the DS is kept in the dark and has access to a limited amount of information. You get different information based on which DS you talk to. I think because they don't have information they start to make up information just to be helpful. For example the finance person had told me my car had entered production. When I called and ask my DS they said my car had not entered production and they would contact me six weeks before the car was complete. I called the finance person back and they again told me the exact date it entered production and the date it was scheduled to be complete. They told me they really weren't suppose to share this information. The info from the finance person ended up being very accurate. I think there are a few DS which will go the extra mile. My DS has never talked to me on the phone, just via email. All communications have been started by me. She has not originated any.

You probably know more information if you are deligent about reading this forum and other automotive websites. I recommend if you create posts to make them private so trolls and looky loos don't have access. After reading this forum I found out my SC has a bad reputation. If I had know this I would have went to the one in Palm Beach County as it is only an addition 25 minutes away and there are no tolls along the way. I will get service there once I get the car.

________

P90D, Titanium, Orlando SC, Production VIN 251, Delivery Soon