TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Black or Blue ? Totally torn...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by David100, Apr 5, 2015.

1. David100

David100 Member

I know it is a matter of personal choice...
    But I can't resist to post the question. I am totally torn by this incredibly important question.

I like the blue reflection of the blue sky on the black paint.
    I like to black shades of the blue paint.

I have only a few days left before entering in production. Everyday I change my mind about the color.

So I have to ask :
    Has anyone who bought a black Model S ever regretted he should have gone for black ?
    Has anyone who bought a blue Model S ever regretted he should have gone for blue ?
    Is there a little bit of blue in the black paint ? Or is it really plaint (dull ?) black ?

Your help is highly appreciated !

Have a nice Easter week-end

D.

2. Have Blue

Have Blue Member

Both only look good right after you wash them. Especially the Black. I have the Blue. It's beautiful in the sun, WHEN ITS CLEAN. Were I to do it over, I would get the grey. image.jpg

3. David100

David100 Member

Thanks
    Gorgeous - I like this "it's not blue not black but somewhere in between color".
    By the way, It seems you will have plenty of room to play with the coming auto-parking feature :) nice.

4. svp6

svp6 Member

I have the blue - it looks black most of the time. I wish they had the lighter shade of blue available when I ordered - you should check it out, looks awesome.

5. Moparposterchild

If you're choosing between those two colors I would go with BLUE for sure. It's like having both colors because it sometimes looks dark enough to be black, but because it's metallic it has a depth to it that the black doesn't have.

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

If you're truly down to these two color choices and can't decide, I'd go with blue because the blue can sometimes appear black but the black will never appear blue.

And I just noticed that I said the same thing as the previous post. :cool: I work for the Department of Redundancy Dept.

7. ION eDRV

ION eDRV Member

+1....

8. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Blue. No regrets, and get it coated with cquartz finest or gtechniq, or Opticoat Pro either way and it will look clean longer. image.jpg

Attached Files:

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Get your deposit back and wait for the new Blue; it's almost here. Would probably be announced in the earnings call in early May if not a lot sooner.

10. David100

David100 Member

My guess is the new colors will be announced in two days, on Tuesday. Not been in March in order not to trouble Q1 result. And not the first days of April because it would have made the new quarter reason to evident. Now is the right time because no official announcement might delay new orders. But seen the beautiful pictures above I think I am happy with this dark blue.
    I would still be very interested though in owners posting pictures of their black MS with a tone of blue sky reflection.

11. mike-415

mike-415 Member

April 7 is the day we'll see Ocean Blue, Titanium, and Obsidian Black. I'm 90% sure it will be this week and 75% sure it will be Tuesday.

12. spentan

spentan Active Member

New Ocean blue looks great,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428260409.721507.jpg

13. silverlb

silverlb New Member

I have a black model s now and really like the blue as well. Either choice you will be happy.

14. docrice

docrice Member

I went through the same black vs. blue debate before I bought mine. I was very, very adamant about getting black because I always wanted a car in that color. Blue was a close second choice.

I ended up going blue. Black is sharp, but I felt the blue has slightly more personality to it and works well with a black interior and the beige standard headliner. Plus in the dark it's pretty much black anyway, so it's almost like getting the best of both worlds.

On the two occasions I've gotten a loaner, both were black. Now that I've driven in that color for a couple of days, I don't regret going blue. I think black still looks sharp, but the blue is a bit more to my styling.

Color is a very personal decision, probably one of that hardest items to pick in the design studio. I've seen more blues on the road than blacks, if that matters to you.

15. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

How are you two so certain that the new colors will show up on April 7?

16. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

I have the blue and slightly wish I had gone black. I find the blue looks more dull than the black when it is dirty (which is most of the time here in Ontario). The Black is a little sportier in my mind as well.

17. David100

David100 Member

@Patrick,
    Well... I felt so... but I was wrong, obviously.

18. mike-415

mike-415 Member

It won't be today. They tend to make announcements in the morning. Some of the color swatches are back on the website (not linked to yet, but exposed, whereas they had been hidden after the initial discovery), so it stands to reason that the reveal is imminent. I'd keep my eye out over the next couple days.

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

20. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I swore by black cars for years. Feeling it REALLY is the only color (I am a fan of Henry Ford). But OMG! the work, the work, the work! The very second I was done, it was dusty and not perfect. Yes, I AM obsessed. I have tried white (easy, but looks like my fridge), red (too much for me, though lovely), silver (nice but meh). I have settled on metallic grey and I do love it. Yes, it is dark, but doesn't show as much as black does. Black just shown every darn speck. IMHO.

And now with all the very cool nano tech out, I had my steel grey girl coated in CQuarts Finest. And I simply cannot explain why, but she simply does not get dirty. She is the easiest car to clean that I have ever had. In all honesty, I dust her once a week and do a waterless wash every two and that is about it. I do live in drought stricken CA, which does make it easier...at a huge and scary price.

Gotta love that tech!