Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black or white interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Have my finger over the order button for a new Model 3 LR to replace my 2019 SR+.
White exterior, like our SR+.
SWMBO likes the white interior. Our SR+ has black.
Does the white present any problems re dirt, reflections etc.
Thanks in advance.
Greg

Hi
Have my finger over the order button for a new Model 3 LR to replace my 2019 SR+.
White exterior, like our SR+.
SWMBO likes the white interior. Our SR+ has black.
Does the white present any problems re dirt, reflections etc.
Thanks in advance.
Greg
Colin in Alice Springs runs a Model S as a taxi. It has the white interior and has held up well over the years. It gave me the confidence to select the white.

Reactions: Braz
I was planning to order a white car with a white interior. because it looked great in pics. But when I sat in one it all felt a bit harsh somehow - especially the white trim on the dash and front doors.

The dark interior with wood trim seemed a lot calmer, and felt like a nicer place to spend time.

But like, that’s just my opinion, man. You may rock the full-on Stormtrooper look. 🤣

• Informative
Reactions: CAM3RON
“Happy wife, happy life” In any case unless you have many young children throwing things and food around the interior, you will have no problems. Occasionally you need to wipe them down with a damp cloth and some upholstery cleaner to remove blue jeans transfer but it’s no big deal.

Black is really black inside. Masculine and simple, but prone to being hot and a bit boring

White is more stylish, and cooler. Comes with some risk of getting dirty or stained, but vegan-leather (pleather?) is pretty good for cleaning care.

Having had both, I recommend white

PS a number of places sell replacement/cover trim for the piano-key-white dash stripe which is a bit bright for some

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I've had white for 15months with 2 kids, wife and small dog. Mines a driver, so does soccer practise in Melbourne winter (MUUUD!) school runs with filthy feet, occasional eating in the backseats on trips etc. The kids had an apple juice spin around like a piece of spaghetti a few weeks ago :mad: and the seats just take it. Just wipes off good as new each and every time. I don't let it get really dirty though before I intervene.
I have a vintage mustang with a 'off white' interior. The stitching changed colour quickly and even the vinyl can be tough to get rid of all the dirt from general use by comparison to the M3. The new seat material is the bees knees and very easy to keep looking new. I'll be going white on the next car too!

For anyone who has put their white seats through a lot of use & dirty situations, does the white stitching pick up dirt and/or stains really easily? I understand the actual vinyl surface of the seats is super resistant to staining, but wondering if an overall "grimy" appearance might set in after a while due to darkened stitching.

>6 years now with a white seated model X. 2 kids 2 large dogs Seats are still white. Don’t notice any change to the stitching. Someone posted a while back that white seats may stay cleaner because when you see a mark on it you tend to wipe it straight off whereas black you never see the mark so they actually get dirtier over time. Its a position that I think has logical merit.

We have an M3 with white interior
Last 12 months no issues
Looks better I feel and in terms of keeping clean, just wipe with warm water as soon as you see something
I can see some slight blue jeans marks but one tends to forget about them after a while. I would recommend white over black

Much the same as above. I have white with 7 and 9 year olds. They’re carefull in the car, but still kids and a little clumsy. The youngin whizzed an apple juice around the back seat and the elder a hot chocolate the front seat. The looks on their faces were enough….. I expected the hot chocolate to stain the stitching but not a thing. I used the standard baby wipes then some meguires trim cleaner and they look just like they did the day I picked it up. Just do white…. You won’t have regrets.

I just performed an unplanned beach-tar-on-white-MY seats experiment - wiped right off with just a damp cloth. That's about the highest staining thing I know of (I've lost several sets of shoes and some towels to it).

I'm sure you can stain these things, and they are really white, but in general it seems to work surprisingly well and it's SO much cooler than black.

Reactions: silenteski
I like white interior, but I had it on a car that also had white exterior, and that was just too much white. IMO white exterior is better with black interior, for all other colors white interior looks nice.

I found the piano-white dash strip to be annoying in my forward field of view - so I covered it with a grey alcantara. Worked super well.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
I got white n my M3P. Best decision ever.
In my opinion, the black with wood grain is very old looking. (Sooo last century 😎)
The white looks fresh, modern and complements the minimalist interior perfectly.
And I haven’t had a mark that wouldn’t Wilde off with a damp cloth

I’ve always had black interior, but always wanted a white interior and was able to do that with my S. Spilled large amounts of coffee on the seat twice, and it cleaned up without staining. Really enjoy my white seats. Easy to keep clean, dont show scratches like black, and looks amazing when contrasted to the exterior colour (so dont do white on white).

I was going to order a white interior but when I went to the showroom and had a look in person the white was just way too bright for me. I also arranged for an overnight test drive, and this was a red M3 with white interior which cemented my thoughts. Unfortunately, it felt like I was in an upmarket private hospital waiting room waiting to have a procedure!
The black interior can feel like you are in a funeral home but easier for me to live with. Wish Tesla did an in between like a grey or combo.

My advice is to see it in person on a bright sunny day and see how it feels.