Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black or white model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

massonron192

Model 3 performance on order
Nov 5, 2019
Philadelphia
Recently ordered a performance model 3 with black exterior. However, I’m thinking about switching over to white now. Was wondering if anyone had inputs on the black vs white paint. I’m worried about black getting scratched and with the white, worried about looking bad 2-3 years later when the polish dulls.

I originally decided on black and then went with white for durability, maintainability, lower cost, and that I ended up thinking that the white was better looking. The black tends to disguise some of the design elements of the car. And the pearl effect adds depth.
That’s what I’m thinking. Had a white car now for several years and been wanting a black car but feel with a Tesla the white shows the lines more.

Reactions: RScottyL
I had a black Corvette Stingray Z06 with black rims. It was impossible to keep clean. I’ve always said I’d never own a white car. Currently have a white Acura RDX A-Speck with black rims and red interior and I love it. M3P in order. White/Black. Going to dechrome it which makes it look that much better. To bad no red seat option. Similar to the below, but with black side mirrors.

B7353CEE-03C6-4DCA-9B42-1A22597F127F.jpeg

Attachments

• 9791D1D5-FBA1-4C6F-B29C-E7A09FEA502C.jpeg
    9791D1D5-FBA1-4C6F-B29C-E7A09FEA502C.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 2,028
Reactions: tren01t
Black looks awesome when cleaned and polished. It loses a lot with even a sprinkling of dust.

White shows off lines better than any color. I think that’s why it takes my breath away, just a little, whenever I see one.

If you keep white polished and clean, it should never lose it’s luster. You might consider a ceramic or similar coating.

Black on this car is fantastic, the way it hides some of the lines just makes the car look so sleek and agile. That said, the only questions you need to ask are how often do you like to wash your car and how bothered are you by a dirty car? :)

I think the white looks great on the M3 but I know what you mean about the luster. If you see two white Teslas next to each other at a SC and one is more than a year older than the other it does really show. Not anything you'd notice though unless they were side by side.

I think the white looks great on the M3 but I know what you mean about the luster. If you see two white Teslas next to each other at a SC and one is more than a year older than the other it does really show. Not anything you'd notice though unless they were side by side.

Agreed. This is where aftermarket coatings come in handy. Expensive, but it should keep the white... white.

Reactions: Chisale