Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black paint owners.. hand wash methods?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shameless plug, but one great benefit of Paint Protection Film is the surface scratches will self heal. So your paint is protected, and any fine scratches that occur during routine washes will self heal with ambient heat. I've owned a black vehicle and keeping the fine swirls out of black is quite the task.

Reactions: follow.johnny
I would do the following:
1. Use a hose to blast off loose dirt.
2. Fill bucket with soap and water.
3. Get a large bunch of micofiber wash cloth. Use a single one for each panel. This reduces transference of dirt. Wash back and forth and not in a circular motion. Use plenty of soap and water for lubrication. Use as little pressure as possible.
4. If you have tar or bugs, don't rub. Use a bug and tar remover to see it can be loosen and then blast off.
5. Rinse but keep the car out of the sun.
6. Wax.

Make sure you use a separate set of wash cloth on the wheels. Brake dust is abrasive.

Paul

Scratches and swirls can be induced during the drying process. Some people use blowers so you don't actually touch the paint with a towel. I personally like to use this product. It lets you dry the car with a wet microfiber towel. I know it sounds strange to dry a car with a wet towel, but it actual works and works well. Plus it conditions the paint:

AMMO Hydrate Paint Moisturizer | AMMO AUTO CARE INC.

Hope that helps,
joebruin77

1. Wet car, knock off big chunks with power washer (from a safe distance)
  2. Foam cannon on power washer with Chem. Bros soap
  3. Mop mitt top to bottom. Rinse mitt in clear water bucket as needed if particularly dirty.
  4. Do whole car.
  5. Rinse, rinse again
  6. Microfiber towel dry
  7. Apply spray on wax. Rub in.

I know I said I wasn’t going to, but paying for a full PPF. I am going with satin guard and it’s made by prestige films. Going to essentially protect my entire car while making it satin. Always the option to go with a clear ppf.

One of the most important things I pay attention to when I detail or wash my car is the materials I use that touches the surface of my car. Make sure the towel and the paint has some lubricity before they touch. That means spraying your ONR (optimum no rinse) thats been mixed with water or whatever mixing agent you want but make sure not to use only water as it's actually drying and has no lubricants on it.

Then make sure to dry or wash your vehicles correctly (do not wash/dry in a circle manor as that can cause scratches)

Good quality towels are expansive but they are an investment (IMO) and they have been well worth it for me.