Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black screen and fans...

spooksman

Jan 24, 2020
Manchester
So, I was at the Terminal 5 (Heathrow) chargers today, the car was charging so I opened up the browser to have a search for something on the web...

The browser opened, and I got the 'spinning donut' for a while - then, the fans went on full blast and full cold, and the screen went black - my missus freaked out!

Everything I tried seemed to have no effect - open/closed doors, opened app, tapped the screen, even tried pressing the two scroll wheels together for ages, nothing...

In the end, I got out and closed the doors and stood back. After a about 30 seconds, the fans switched off (I could hear them from outside), so I went back to the car to see the T on the screen after a restart...

Is this just a 'glitch' that you get (had the car a year, never seen it myself)?

Should I have gone for the 'brake and two wheel' option?

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
It certainly sounds like the software crashed, whether a brake pedal reboot would have made any difference I could Lyn’ t say, the scroll wheel reboot normally works for me but takes a while before it’s come back. I think you just need to put it down to part of the Tesla experience unless it starts becoming a regular occurrence.

Reactions: spooksman

Alistairuk

Jun 25, 2020
Scotland
I had youtube cause it a few weeks ago while I was charging - was playing the video, it froze and eventually, the screen went off and fans did some weird things. The entire thing rebooted itself after a few minutes.

Pressing the break and wheel button reboot thing didn't seem to be doing anything but it came back up itself after a few minutes.

Drew57

Active ember
Apr 4, 2020
Chester UK
When my car went into a total meltdown last December it was whilst supercharging & using the browser. I had watched Netflix on previous occasions without issue.

The only way Tesla could get the car working again (via tech phone call) was by talking me through a complete hard reset from the Service screen & not touching anything for at least 5 minutes afterwards. The car restored to original as-built factory condition & showed me parked in the Palo Alto desert but with only Dutch superchargers available.

The location reset within a few minutes of driving away & Tesla called me twice during the following week to confirm that the logs showed no other issues..

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Whiskey Romeo

May 28, 2021
New Jersey, USA
Same thing happened to me while driving. Fan on high and blowing cold. Black screen. Found a place to park and did the two wheel reset. Nothing... perhaps I didn't wait long enough. Did the two wheel and brake. In about two minutes all was good again.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
In almost all cases the system will self-reboot if'n ya waits a few minutes..indeed assuming the roads are clear enough you can just carry on driving. yes, there will be ocassions when that doesn't appear safe and yes, there is that urge to help out but pressing resets probably just delays the reboot by rebooting the reboot. There is no difference in double scroll wheel with or without brake pedal. The only reason for brake pedal is to stop the car moving while it reboots if you happen to be on a slope.
The bigger concern should be the theory that one day FSD will actually work - what happens when an L4 or L5 computer crashes then? Unless there are at least three independant systems (2 to outvote one dud) then FSD is dead before it starts....
Even parking up for a reboot may be impossible when then gear stick is removed..

Reactions: Wol747

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
Because the car can still drive, it looks more like it's only the infotainment system that crashes in this situation. I don't think any of the safety features become unavailable, likewise with FSD.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
Because the car can still drive, it looks more like it's only the infotainment system that crashes in this situation. I don't think any of the safety features become unavailable, likewise with FSD.
Core functionality remains but without a stick to indicate in newer models - I don't know. However I doubt that any camera/visio system can be immune from processor crash even if that is currently seperated from the infortainment. Yes HW£ is dual processor but is it totally separated?

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
Core functionality remains but without a stick to indicate in newer models - I don't know. However I doubt that any camera/visio system can be immune from processor crash even if that is currently seperated from the infortainment. Yes HW£ is dual processor but is it totally separated?

Yes, the machine learning models and control don't run on the Intel atom processor that drives the infotainment. That would give very poor performance and no atom processor would be up for that challenge, they run on dedicated semiconductors.

Just to add, the screen and Atom processor behind it has the job of displaying information or instructing changes to settings, not at all driving or controlling the car. That doesn't mean the other hardware can't fail, but there is sensible isolation.

Last edited:

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Driving through Dorset today and the screen suddenly went blank and the air con fans started to blow on high.
Attempted a 2 button reset but nothing happened. No feedback noise from indicators.
It was off for about 5 minutes before the screen rebooted itself.

Neilman

Mar 27, 2020
Southampton, UK
I had my first 'black screen event' this evening whilst driving to London at 70 mph on the M3 a few miles short of the M25 junction - not a pleasant experience when still under Auto-steer with zero instrumentation in the middle-lane! The car did stay in full auto-control.

The trip started funny today - I'd just charged to 100% then had climate on LO (while still plugged into the house) then unplugged but on getting into the car I got the dreaded "eCall fault - contact Service" and on trying the microphone button I got a brand new fault message "microphone is calibrating", The eCall message stayed on screen and occasional tries of the microphone got the same 'calibrating' response.

A few miles after the Bracknell exit 3 the screen went black (dunno about the fans, they were on anyway and my hearing aids were turned down).
I left it a while then tried the two-button reset. Took another minute or so before the screen came back on but now also showed a crossed out LTE signal bar and "offline navigation".

When I reached the M3 exit ramp to the M25 north the LTE came back on and the eCall alarm cleared itself and the microphone worked again.
No more alarms or faults after that ... so far.

I've raised a service request for Winchester this Thursday but I've stated in the details that it seems ok for now.
Perhaps Winchester will check the logs and cancel the service visit - wait and see eh?

Last time I got the eCall fault Winchester spent 4-hours getting nowhere (with me waiting in their reception area) and booked me in a week later with a loaner model S for a long-weekend. I think they replace a processor module and factory reset it - lost all my past journeys and my 'lifetime' trip log. I effectively got a 'new' car with 'old' odometer - at least my Fob and card keys still worked.

Zakalwe

Oct 16, 2020
UK
In almost all cases the system will self-reboot if'n ya waits a few minutes..indeed assuming the roads are clear enough you can just carry on driving. yes, there will be ocassions when that doesn't appear safe and yes, there is that urge to help out but pressing resets probably just delays the reboot by rebooting the reboot. There is no difference in double scroll wheel with or without brake pedal. The only reason for brake pedal is to stop the car moving while it reboots if you happen to be on a slope.
The bigger concern should be the theory that one day FSD will actually work - what happens when an L4 or L5 computer crashes then? Unless there are at least three independant systems (2 to outvote one dud) then FSD is dead before it starts....
Even parking up for a reboot may be impossible when then gear stick is removed..
AFAIK, the system has redundancy with a duplicate FSD system onboard.

Llama.

Jan 25, 2021
Leeds, UK
I had the screen go blank with fans on high the first time I was navigating to a Supercharger. I actually got turned around and was navigating some tight backroads by MyBetterRoutePlanner using the browser at the time.

So adding in being lost to the equation was pretty scary. The fans are so loud on full. I've never turned them up that high. So was quite a shock!

It seems that using the browser while driving is a correlated to most of these accounts of this problem.

My car did reboot by using the 2 scroll wheels. Although I only attempted this after driving for 2-3 mins with this fan situation. So perhaps the system timed out and rebooted itself. Either way I was happy when the Tesla T appeared......

sparkymark75

Jun 22, 2021
Scotland
I had the screen go blank with fans on high the first time I was navigating to a Supercharger. I actually got turned around and was navigating some tight backroads by MyBetterRoutePlanner using the browser at the time.

So adding in being lost to the equation was pretty scary. The fans are so loud on full. I've never turned them up that high. So was quite a shock!

It seems that using the browser while driving is a correlated to most of these accounts of this problem.

My car did reboot by using the 2 scroll wheels. Although I only attempted this after driving for 2-3 mins with this fan situation. So perhaps the system timed out and rebooted itself. Either way I was happy when the Tesla T appeared......
Possibly some bad javascript code on the pages that are being used which cause the browser to hang/crash?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC