Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen - had to reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 7 of owning our MY LR and this morning the screen was black upon entering the car and it would not go into drive. Performed the two button reboot process. The car is on Software 2021.3.101, which as I understand it is a firmware from the factory and the car will eventually be update to the mainstream software version. Right now the car says it is up to date from a software perspective - no downloads are scheduled at the moment.

Anyhow - I find it annoying to be dealing with black screens. I was hoping that this would be a rare event, but I'm not sure that will be the case given I've only had it a week. Do these crashes get uploaded automatically by the car to HQ, or do I have to file a bug report? What is the process for doing that?

VIN 88XXX, delivered 12/26/2020, now right at 5k miles. I've had one "black screen" event, lasted less than a minute before IT rebooted on its own. Was parked in my garage when the "black screen" occurred, so I was only mildly concerned/annoyed.

I’ve actually caused mine to freeze, go black, and reboot itself three times in the week I’ve owned it. Happens when I try to search the owners manual and - I think - connectivity is limited or unavailable. Manual never shows text and then screen freezes. Car still drives though.

I’ve solved the problem by not doing that any more.

ps88v18: You just reminded me: my screen locked up while doing a search in the owners manual. I don't remember the exact sequence, but somehow what I asked it to show me pissed it off enough to "hang up" on me. Gee, thanks, SNL star Elon!