Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen in the morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have has my M# 2 weeks. Today I had my second black screen when I get in the car. Both times the car was left fo 20 ish hours without driving. the first time the screen would come on after reboot but failed again after shifting into reverse. 2 hours later it worked after a 3rd reboot. Today the car was derivable reboot never showed the TESla logo . tries entering and exiting the vehicle. Could not wait more than a 5 minutes. 1 hour later when I got back it was working. No way top schedule a mobile appointment but after the appointment 1 week out I called and they are going to look at the footage. needed exact times and see if they can fix it remotely. Not happy with the salespeople saying95% of service is done at your house but it is a real hassle to schedule it.

You schedule a normal service through the mobile app. If the techs decide it's something they can do at your home, they will reach out to you and switch it to mobile service. It should be simple.

When you open the car door, the screen lights up but when you close the door, the screen will go black again. You need to press the brake to turn the car "on". I presume you did that but I'm saying just in case...

My 2021 M3P has also done this a couple of times. Another weird thing it has done is to come on, then freeze. I'll shift into reverse, have the cameras up, start backing up, and realize that the camera images are frozen. Lucky I have not hit anything!

this happened to me a couple times in my first weeks of enjoying the car

luckily hasnt happened since

no idea what caused it or fixed it - i know my experience doesn't help much but maybe gives you peace of mind that you didn't get a lemon and that glitches like this happen from time to time

I have a 2020 Model X and we have problems with the screen going black frequently when we first enter the car.

I can drive it - I back out of the garage - and within 60 seconds, the screen shows the Tesla logo and the screen then lights up.

We're concerned about it but it is a "transitory" problem and difficult to get service to fix it.

Has any one had a similar problem and figured out a "fix" ?

Tom - Model X owner in New Paltz, New York

Over the last few months I've experienced quite a few Black Screen Of Death in my 3 yrs old Model 3. For the last couple of months I am keeping a "dying" log:

Tesla Dark Screen events- log
date time event
====== ==== =======
12/28/21 12:00 while driving
12/29/21 11:00 Shift to reverse
1/12/22 13:00
1/18/22 10:00
1/30/22 15:15 Still in park, 1 min after opening the door
2/16/22 14:40 Parking, long time sitting in the car, listen to radio
2/26/22 12:00 Exiting parking lot (30sec blank screen)

I called Tesla service for appointment: A nice Mobile service guy showed up (3/9/22) on time. He seemed to be very familiar with the black screen problem. He did:

1. Went 1 by 1 and manually deleted all my stored navigation addresses
  2. Checked that there aren’t too many dash cam images saved (there were none, since I had deleted them all yesterday)
  3. Performed Hard boot (real hard), by disconnecting the 12v battery in the frunk (before doing so, he had disconnected the connector under the back seat, on the passenger side).
    Then he reconnected the 12v battery and the connector under the back seat.

He said that these 3 steps almost always resolve the black screen problem.
I'll watch it and report if the black screen will come back to haunt me.

Also, he measured 14.2V in the "12v" battery, and said that it still have plenty of life in it. Usually the car notify you when the voltage drops below 11.5v. So no need to worry.
1646872597271.png

I just had this recently happen to me. I had set up a mobile service. They said everything looks fine. They had me reformat the usb drive since it was full and they forced an update for me. They did tell me to start reformatting the USB every 2 weeks.

Over the last few months I've experienced quite a few Black Screen Of Death in my 3 yrs old Model 3. For the last couple of months I am keeping a "dying" log:

Tesla Dark Screen events- log
date time event
====== ==== =======
12/28/21 12:00 while driving
12/29/21 11:00 Shift to reverse
1/12/22 13:00
1/18/22 10:00
1/30/22 15:15 Still in park, 1 min after opening the door
2/16/22 14:40 Parking, long time sitting in the car, listen to radio
2/26/22 12:00 Exiting parking lot (30sec blank screen)

I called Tesla service for appointment: A nice Mobile service guy showed up (3/9/22) on time. He seemed to be very familiar with the black screen problem. He did:

1. Went 1 by 1 and manually deleted all my stored navigation addresses
  2. Checked that there aren’t too many dash cam images saved (there were none, since I had deleted them all yesterday)
  3. Performed Hard boot (real hard), by disconnecting the 12v battery in the frunk (before doing so, he had disconnected the connector under the back seat, on the passenger side).
    Then he reconnected the 12v battery and the connector under the back seat.

He said that these 3 steps almost always resolve the black screen problem.
I'll watch it and report if the black screen will come back to haunt me.

Also, he measured 14.2V in the "12v" battery, and said that it still have plenty of life in it. Usually the car notify you when the voltage drops below 11.5v. So no need to worry.
View attachment 778933
I reported that "...I'll watch it and report if the black screen will come back to haunt me", well it did! Since my last report (3/9/2022) I have had two more incidents of the Black Screen Of Death.
So what now?

So, here we are in June 2022 and the Black Screen Of Death hasn't gone away. I still experience it from time to time, in spite of the fact that the Tesla technician who worked on the problem in early March assured me that the problem had been solved.
I keep accurate log (it is up to 15 such occurrences) and I guess, I must go in now and insist on them replacing the MMU. Right?

So, here we are in June 2022 and the Black Screen Of Death hasn't gone away. I still experience it from time to time, in spite of the fact that the Tesla technician who worked on the problem in early March assured me that the problem had been solved.
I keep accurate log (it is up to 15 such occurrences) and I guess, I must go in now and insist on them replacing the MMU. Right?
Hey! Just wondering what happened? Experiencing the same as you, and I’m exhausted and sick of logging everything, and I’m a nervous wreck while driving. I just really don’t want the car anymore.

Response to PR1NS355
I don't believe in {black) magic, yet the black screen problem seems to disappear. On March 2022 I reported here that a Tesla technician came over, did a hard boot (that is, even disconnected the battery for a moment).
Also- although it sounded a little strange, some people here suggested an information overload on the USB stick used for video recording may be the culprit. So what do I have to lose? just bought this on Amazon in June 2022 and plugged it in:

Lexar JumpDrive S47 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive (LJDS47-128ABBKNA)

The gizmo stores and transfer content quickly with USB 3. 1 performance up to 250MB/s read.
Magic or not- since then, my 4 years old Model 3 hasn't had any black screen of death event. Go figure....but I am happy.