Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen of Death?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past 2 updates, I noticed my MCU will go completely black and take awhile to reboot (5-10 minutes). It's quite dangerous when driving because I have no idea what gear I am in, my turn signals don't work, etc.

I have a 2019 Model S Standard Range and am running on 2020.48.35.5.

Anyone else experience this or shall I visit the Service Center?

Reactions: darbarr
2019 should be a MCU2, which is not supposed to have this issue. However we have noticed failures also because of what we suspect is the eMMC controller which does not have a trackable life. In theory a MCU2 could fail for the same reason.

My car is MCU2, AP2.5. Based on the comments above, I scheduled a service center visit. Sounds like I might need a new MCU already? With 6k miles on a 2019 model? Yikes.

Was shocked I was able to get one for this Sunday. They just opened a new SC by me in Lake Grove, NY.

I’m not sure it’s hardware. I paid for the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade and have had two random problems in the week I’ve had mcu2. Could be infant mortality or could be buggy software. Not sure which makes me more uncomfortable.

Over the past 2 updates, I noticed my MCU will go completely black and take awhile to reboot (5-10 minutes). It's quite dangerous when driving because I have no idea what gear I am in, my turn signals don't work, etc.

I am also on 2020.48.35.5 and 2019 Raven S Standard Range, 19K miles. No issues with anything the past few updates. I usually power off and reboot after each update. It hasn’t taken any longer than usual for the screen to come back on. The screen hasn’t blacked out during mid-drive and everything has been fine. Try to take note of the date and time when it occurs and have Tesla check the system logs. Maybe you had a bad update? Tesla can push the update to you again, if needed.

I had an appointment today at the SC but they messaged me through the app asking for dates and times these happened so I cancelled for now since it will most likely be a wasted trip. I never documented it so I’ll start to do that and go from there. Perhaps I can call tech support and they can pull logs as well.

Did your issue reoccur and if it did was it resolved? I’m getting the same thing in my car, a 2020 Raven Model S LR. Both screens rebooted twice a couple of hours apart while driving during a 500 mile Roadtrip. I’ve also had the center screen freeze while parked necessitating a reboot to enter the PIN. Latest firmware, v 2021.4.12

What do you mean by this?

What do you mean by this?
I have had this problem with my new MCU2. It’s ridiculous…

It failed during parking (just as I was trying to change direction) and I was left unsure if the car was in forward or reverse.

I paused a second, checked all around and gave it a tiny bit of accelerator pedal and discovered I was in Reverse.

Reactions: AMPd
I have had this problem with my new MCU2. It’s ridiculous…

It failed during parking (just as I was trying to change direction) and I was left unsure if the car was in forward or reverse.

I paused a second, checked all around and gave it a tiny bit of accelerator pedal and discovered I was in Reverse.
Oh I see, my mistake I was thinking you weren’t able to go into gear.
This is another reason why having those controls on the screen is a bad idea. I know the newest MCU is not prone to the same failure but still I’d rather have a separate mechanism for being able to put the car in P/D/R because at the end of the day it’s still a computer and things happen.

Reactions: darbarr
I had this happen while driving our 2020 S LR in April. I used the app to schedule service. They asked for the date and time and looked at my log. I was told to reboot regularly (double scroll wheel press) and unplug USB items from the ports in the console. They said it was a known problem that would be addressed in a future firmware update at a date TBD. IT hasn't happened since then, but I haven't heard that it's been fixed, so my dash cam has nowhere to store the video record. I'm waiting for a reply from service about this.

I put the thumb drive and the iPhone charger back into the USB ports after Tesla service messaged that it should be OK since I haven't had the problem since April. I reformatted it as instructed. I know the thumb drive works fine because we had a Sentry mode event triggered on 6/16. The very next day, we had the black screens while driving. I sent the time and date to service, and they confirmed it was still the same firmware problem caused by some interaction with the thumb drive. I removed both the thumb drive and the iPhone charger plugs because the fix is still under investigation. Was told that our car is not the only one affected. Double scroll wheel reboot brings the screens back, but it takes a few minutes and is not something I want to deal with while driving.

Reactions: Exscite