Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen of Death?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by this?

I am also on 2020.48.35.5 and 2019 Raven S Standard Range, 19K miles. No issues with anything the past few updates. I usually power off and reboot after each update. It hasn’t taken any longer than usual for the screen to come back on. The screen hasn’t blacked out during mid-drive and everything has been fine. Try to take note of the date and time when it occurs and have Tesla check the system logs. Maybe you had a bad update? Tesla can push the update to you again, if needed.
I have had my screens go dark while driving multiple times over the past year. I have a 2020 MX. I was told a "hardware fix is coming" but I haven't heard anything. Today it happen again and when I rebooted, now my MCU is not working properly and I have this error message, My navigation screen is frozen and the small driver display, is not displaying information correctly. I have a service appointment scheduled in two weeks, but a bit worried as I'm doing a long road trip in the first week of August.

Attachments

• Tesla_err_message.jpg
    Tesla_err_message.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 85
Over the past 2 updates, I noticed my MCU will go completely black and take awhile to reboot (5-10 minutes). It's quite dangerous when driving because I have no idea what gear I am in, my turn signals don't work, etc.

I have a 2019 Model S Standard Range and am running on 2020.48.35.5.

Anyone else experience this or shall I visit the Service Center?
My 2020 Model S LR+ has steadily increased in blackouts to now every time I drive, sometimes 2 times! Tesla Mobile service came and cleared the cache 4 days ago and I have had 5 blackouts already! This is very dangerous and frustrating!

Reactions: Exscite
If you suspect a browser problem, visit a very basic, low tech site and leave the browser there. The browser seems to refresh in the background. If there are lots of active elements on the page it’s on, it can struggle.

I use the DuckDuckGo homepage to “park” the browser…

Over the past 2 updates, I noticed my MCU will go completely black and take awhile to reboot (5-10 minutes). It's quite dangerous when driving because I have no idea what gear I am in, my turn signals don't work, etc.

I have a 2019 Model S Standard Range and am running on 2020.48.35.5.

Anyone else experience this or shall I visit the Service Center?
I also have a 2019 Model S100. When I got into the car this morning all screens were black. I backed the car out of the garage and did a soft reboot. This started both screens. Last week while driving, I noticed long delays with the maps identifying routes and calculating charging stations.