Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen - Soft / Hard reboot no change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC,

I am having issues with my Model S where the MCU (v1) is a black screen and my dash shows "Center display unavailable; Driving and user settings could not be restored." I had the eMMC swap done 2 months ago as well.

A few weeks ago, I received a new update (v10.2; 2020.48.37.2) and since that update my navigation options haven't worked since no map data would download (Navigation Data was just blank and it wouldn't pull down even connected to WiFi). Contacted Tesla and they remotely pushed an update today, but then contacted me saying that I had set my power options to not be connected all the time and to go change settings. Upon jumping in the car to set the setting, the MCU no longer turns on and I receive the error mentioned above. I tried soft and hard reboot; the display never turns on.

Mobile service is booking a month out (I'm super far away from a service center) and I really don't want to drive my car with no support (I'm having even a hard time setting the AC since the main dash is laggy too).

My question is, do you think disconnecting the 12v battery is worth trying? My only concern is since I cannot power off the MCU since it isn't on, if that's going to cause any issues? Obviously Tesla isn't going to say to do anything and wait, but I really don't want to drive the car in this state for a month and then eventually pay a $200 deductible for an issue that was caused by them.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? :p

Reactions: elee888