Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black screen while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Was driving on freeway this morning and without warning the info screen in front of steering wheel went black for about 5 minutes then came back on. Touchscreen with nav stayed on. I continued to drive but turn signals didnt work. Radio conyinued to work also. When info screen started again car appeared to function normally. I pulled car over when I got off the freeway and then rebooted the system. Everything seems OK Any Thoughts?

i was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Was driving on freeway this morning and without warning the info screen in front of steering wheel went black for about 5 minutes then came back on. Touchscreen with nav stayed on. I continued to drive but turn signals didnt work. Radio conyinued to work also. When info screen started again car appeared to function normally. I pulled car over when I got off the freeway and then rebooted the system. Everything seems OK Any Thoughts?
2017.08 Red MX 100D 5Pass.
Different but similar experience (twice now in last 3 months). Signal clicking sound gone, but arrows still visible as is speedometer, etc.; sound system off (no radio, no streaming, ...); windshield washers non-operative (this last a real safety issue at hwy. speeds). On 2nd occasion, system returned to normal w/o reboot. While turning into a driveway, radio suddenly blared, signals clicked and w/s washers functioned OK. Will raise issue with Vancouver S/C shortly.

Yeah, I've had the screen black out, but also I've had functions lock up, get slow or just act more like a computer than a car. Personally I find this unacceptable. When the screen goes black I don't recall any functions not working, but if nothing else I no longer have a speedometer!

The display console should be reliable enough that a crash is a very rare event. Tesla is new to making cars and this shows just how green they are in many ways.

Today I was driving and it started to snow a bit. Trucks were salting but there didn't seem to be any accumulation. After a while the auto pilot stopped working. At first I thought it was just that the thing couldn't see the road lines because of the white from the salt on the road. But after I got through the snow and the conditions improved it still wouldn't work. So I called support and they suggested the three finger salute. The error message specifically referred to the radar unit not being able to "see". Support also suggested that I clean off the various cameras. So when I stopped for charging I did the three finger salute. Getting back on the road that didn't fix anything. I pulled over and checked the front and found a fair bit of snow stuck in the grill. I removed that and cleaned the cameras I could find. The radar unit seems to be behind the bumper where you can't see it. On getting back in the car the cruise now worked. I guess the cameras were obscured. So when it says "radar" it doesn't have to mean radar.

Well, yesterday while driving I got the dreaded Black Screen while driving my MC LR-AWD on the freeway. This is the first time for me. All the systerms (music, AP, etc.) seemed to continue working w/o interruption. After doing the reboot via both adjust wheels it came back up. The biggest immediate problem was not having a speedometer. F/W version 20019.5.15.

Black Screen of Death again this weekend. Now on 8.5. Curiously a pattern is emerging. It happens when I go under an overpass. I wonder if it's related to either sudden loss of online signal, or sudden change in brightness (and the effect on the camera systems.) In any case, it's kind of annoying.

I am also getting a few black screens since 8.5 on our MX. This update seems to be less stable than the 5.15. Also on the weekend the car parked in the garage has AC on inside the whole day. Finally decided to reboot it and it shuts down.

I had an incident the other day just when I was in a hurry. I put the car in reverse and the video was black. I really could not see behind me otherwise because of the sun and that durn tinted mirror! So I had to reboot the console which came up on the dashboard first, but with the large screen still black. I put the car in reverse again and it all went black! Rebooted again and the same thing. So finally I did the reboot where you hold the buttons until it shows the Tesla T. Even then it took much longer than usual to come up before I could back out of the spot.

I had an incident the other day just when I was in a hurry. I put the car in reverse and the video was black. I really could not see behind me otherwise because of the sun and that durn tinted mirror! So I had to reboot the console which came up on the dashboard first, but with the large screen still black. I put the car in reverse again and it all went black! Rebooted again and the same thing. So finally I did the reboot where you hold the buttons until it shows the Tesla T. Even then it took much longer than usual to come up before I could back out of the spot.
Happened to me today at 4.55pm. Car ran fine but lost all screens. The cruise and autopilot worked but did not know if activate until I let go of the wheel. I am on 2019.12.

Screens did not unlock or come back until car was reset

Happened to me today at 4.55pm. Car ran fine but lost all screens. The cruise and autopilot worked but did not know if activate until I let go of the wheel. I am on 2019.12.

Screens did not unlock or come back until car was reset

Which level of reset? Did you just reset the dash or did you reset the whole car by stopping and holding the brake pedal while pushing the buttons?

I am also getting a few black screens since 8.5 on our MX. This update seems to be less stable than the 5.15. Also on the weekend the car parked in the garage has AC on inside the whole day. Finally decided to reboot it and it shuts down.

You sure it was the A/C? If it is really hot in your garage, say upper 80s or warmer, the fans and coolant pumps will run to circulate cool coolant through the battery pack. That is separate from the interior A/C.

Mine will run for 30-45 minutes after driving on a hot day. A/C comes on any time your get in car.

This happened to me in my previous Model X (2016) 90D around November 2018.

(I own 2018 100D now since Dec 2018)

I have to drive for 5 to 10 minutes with dark screen while looking for a spot to park in Interstate highway 95. Luckily the screen came to live before I could stop the car.

However in my new car, 2018 Model X 100D, delivered on 12/20/2018, I have screen problem associated with back up camera. The backup camera part of the screen appears white with no image while driving and when I want to back up, the screen appears black with no image. Every time, I have to reset the screen with the scroll wheels in the steering wheel. After doing it for the past 4 days, I called the service line and the service representative said to me that he has deleted the cookies and asked me to monitor. In case of repeat problem, I have to bring my vehicle to the service center.