Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving today with navigation showing me the way, when suddenly the screen turned black. The spoken directions still continued (phew) and several minutes later the Tesla logo came back followed shortly by a normal screen. Why would that happen?

Reactions: vraev
63C23BFA-A958-474C-B376-51CA1C56CD40.jpeg
I had that happen to me today as well. Same thing...driving on hwy,.follpwing nav...the screen turned off and the front display was still on. It was off for a min and then came back to life.

I know that all new MCU2 cars are being held and not delivered until further notice until this issue is fixed. My delivery was canceled for Monday.

That might be a different issue. The MCU2 issue involves the IC going blank. OP didn't specify which screen rebooted (there are two "the screen" in the Model S), and the photo posted by a different person showed the CID rebooting, not the IC.

To the OP, sometimes this happens at random, like how your computer or cellphone might reboot. One of the more recent software versions (2018.6.1) seems more prone to this than those that came before it, although I haven't personally experienced that. I'd say if it happened just once, don't worry about it.

Those of you asking questions about problems really need to give some more details about your cars for people to help you. Software version is the most important, but also it's good to know what version of AP (and now what version of MCU), what model of car, etc.

Bruce.

Last edited:
I actually called Tesla support this morning. This issue had occurred twice times on firmware 6.1. And once yesterday on firmware 10.4. They told me this should not have happened this many time and they have escalated the issue. I would suggest those of you who have had this issue occurring many time call Tesla to let them know. I’ll keep you guys posted to see what their response is.

Mine rebooted four times within the span of 20mins on Saturday afternoon (backend of a short road trip). Hasn’t happened since.
I called to log it in my history today. Advisor on the phone suggested I hard reboot via the steering wheel buttons. I told her I did that already, but she said to make sure I keep the buttons depressed until the “T” appears. I did that this afternoon just for grins. Took a long time for 3G to reconnect afterward, but nothing else out of the ordinary.

Recurring problem with 3G now. Took literally 15mins during my drive in to work before it would connect. Just got the “No WiFi” symbol the entire drive. Finally connected after pulling into the parking lot. I rebooted during the drive, but that didn’t help either. Time to call it in again...

I actually called Tesla support this morning. This issue had occurred twice times on firmware 6.1. And once yesterday on firmware 10.4. They told me this should not have happened this many time and they have escalated the issue. I would suggest those of you who have had this issue occurring many time call Tesla to let them know. I’ll keep you guys posted to see what their response is.
On our cars, we also saw it reboot a couple of times with 2018.6.1 and have seen it once so far on 2018.10.4.

My car had been rock solid for years, as far as console availability goes... until software 2018.6.1.641efac came along.

It now reboots on its own about once a week.

I view it as a new feature, undocumented of course, because it's not in the release notes.

I wonder if I do a planned reboot when I park the car sometimes, every few days, if that would satisfy it's appetite so it wouldn't reboot on its own while driving?

• Funny
Reactions: Ketchups
Talked to my SC today after not being able to talk to the car from the app, i.e. 3G down again.
Wanted me to reboot the IC followed immediately by back-to-back reboots of the MCU. So far so good, but they are also pushing a new F/W version to the car, which I’ll install tonight and report back on the version and Release Notes.

New F/W is 8bbdc66, which was already discussed last week in it’s own thread. New features are the ability to open the frunk as well as the trunk via the app. No mention of fixes for MCU reboots. I’ll see how things go tomorrow. Maybe the dual reset procedure fixed my 3G issues vs the new F/W.