Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Vue DR650S-2ch $249 Today Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didnt know there was an IR version. From the description it sounds like the rear cam has IR blasters for night vision...which would be pretty useless behind a windshield (IR light would just get reflected back to camera).

Has anyone tried the IR version? Does it actually offer night vision recording through the back windshield?

I think the IR is designed more for fleet delivery vehicles and ubers and such where you want to have some visuals of the interior of the cabin....just pulled up their page for it and that's it: DR650S-2CH - the Cloud Dashcam with Remote Live View by BlackVue™ Not meant for the back window.

We ordered the 32G DR650S-2ch version. Hoping to get an appt with our installer for next Saturday. We're kind of thinking that they may be moving out inventory to make room for new versions to come out in the next few months but decided we wanted a dash cam now for our new vehicle. No regrets if they do for the price and coverage we'll have in the meantime.

Thanks for the post.

BTW according to TeslaTap's comparison page, the 650S came out in June of 2016 ( https://teslatap.com/articles/ultimate-2017-tesla-dashcam-guide/ )

I didnt know there was an IR version. From the description it sounds like the rear cam has IR blasters for night vision...which would be pretty useless behind a windshield (IR light would just get reflected back to camera).

Has anyone tried the IR version? Does it actually offer night vision recording through the back windshield?
From the description it sounds more like they intend it to be used to record vehicle passengers. Maybe like in taxis or ride-sharing vehicles or something.

• Helpful
Reactions: Randaddy

The IR version is meant to mount on the windshield (not the back window) pointing rearwards for view inside your car. Prime use is in taxis, Uber, Lyft, etc. You are correct that if you mounted it on the rear window, pointing outside, that the IR LEDs would reflect back and blind the camera. I believe you can turn off the IR emitters via settings, so you could technically use it for both scenarios.

• Helpful
Reactions: Randaddy
Hmm, is this the current revision that supports cloud recording and remote access with the updated wifi hardware that can always stay on? Or is this a batch of the previous hardware version of the 650 that can't support remote access? I don't see cloud mentioned anywhere on this page.

... We're kind of thinking that they may be moving out inventory to make room for new versions to come out in the next few months ...

Thanks for the post.
I'm glad I could help a few others get in on this amazing deal!
It definitely could be possible, but this is a B&H exclusive. They put out a different 24 hour deal like this everyday. I've been shopping with them for a few years and have scored some unbelievable deals by watching the DealZone each day. No one else has dropped their prices on the DR650S.
Honestly, I was holding out for the Thinkware F770, but at this price, I couldn't resist!

Hmm, is this the current revision that supports cloud recording and remote access with the updated wifi hardware that can always stay on? Or is this a batch of the previous hardware version of the 650 that can't support remote access? I don't see cloud mentioned anywhere on this page.

I was looking into the Blackvue last week. The older software they had was renamed "legacy" and supported the 650S and the 650GW. They came out with the Cloud version and it became the "new" Blackvue app. From their website read it supports the 650S and the later models of the 650GW. I'll try to come back and link to their page on that*. We like some of the features of the Cloud but don't want our "anonymous" car icon showing up outside our house--certainly doesn't make you anonymous in my mind. You can apparently turn it off because I've seen cars go gray and disappear but don't want to have to remember to turn it off before arriving at our home or business location. While it's "cute" to see the little cars moving on the road and parked places, I just don't get why that "feature" is needed. Guess they feel "social" is something people want. Anyway I was concerned about buying the Blackvue 650S if you had to agree to be part of this "social" sharing, and spoke to a Blackvue dealer. The answer is no you don't. If you want to use the Cloud portion of the software you do, and you have to click Agree on the sign up window or that portion of the software prevents you from using it; but you can still use the regular WiFi camera portion of the software and not deal with the Cloud at all. That was the deciding factor for us on going with the Blackvue. While the Thinkware 770 has some better features now, it's attached window footprint was something we just didn't want to see.

*How to determine if my BlackVue is compatible for Cloud service?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
The 650S is the latest and greatest that supports live view via their cloud. You are thinking of the earlier DR650GW's...

The 650S is the latest and greatest that supports live view via their cloud. You are thinking of the earlier DR650GW's...

Thanks for that. The DR650GW is indeed what I have.

I just ordered the S. The GWs are selling used on ebay for a little more than this, so if this is not a permanent price drop I should be able to recoup most of this by selling the non cloud enabled version.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Thanks for that. The DR650GW is indeed what I have.

I just ordered the S. The GWs are selling used on ebay for a little more than this, so if this is not a permanent price drop I should be able to recoup most of this by selling the non cloud enabled version.

Is your GW model wifi? The cut off date was April 2016*. Check out the link I posted in #12 here to determine where your unit falls. It might be that you could use the newer Cloud version of the software without buying a new unit...although sounds like you already did.

*Typo, should have read April 2015.

Last edited:
Is your GW model wifi? The cut off date was April 2016. Check out the link I posted in #12 here to determine where your unit falls. It might be that you could use the newer Cloud version of the software without buying a new unit...although sounds like you already did.

Not a chance. I bought mine in May of 2015. I did check with BlackVue as units manufactured in April of 2015 (not 2016) could be modified if you sent it back to have the upgraded wifi, but mine was manufactured in March of 2015.

Reactions: SMAlset
GREAT price. I purchased a 128gb off Amazon for my 100D for $440.... Luckily I haven't opened it yet. It is being shipped back.

I will order the 16gb version from B&H (once ordering opens) for $250 & the 128gb Blackvue SD card from The DashCam Store (approved Blackvue vendor) for $95.. Total of $345. Savings of $95! I will take it!

Thanks for pointing out the sale!

Thanks Erik